PDA

View Full Version : How do you "recharge", mommy burnout

firsttimemama
08-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Just curious -

When you have had a hard day/week/month/2 years...

How do you "recharge your batteries"?

I used to just go out for some retail therapy.. but lately, I'm kind of ambivalent about it.

Where do you go? What do you do? When you have a "break".. childcare.. DH has DCs..

wellyes
08-30-2009, 11:51 AM
We have a local museum that I love, the Decordova (http://www.decordova.org/). No famous paintings, instead it has really interesting exhibits brought in from all over. An afternoon walking around, experiencing stuff I'd never see normally is glorious. I love the solitude of it, being inside my own head. If it's nice out, they have really lovely grounds (a sculputre park) to walk around; if it's cold or rainy, I bring a book or interesting magazine article & sit in the cafe to read and sip coffee for an hour or two.

An afternoon there and I feel like a functional adult capable of having an interesting conversation that isn't about kids. I love it, and don't go nearly often enough.

neeter
08-30-2009, 12:01 PM
I love the museum idea. I go out to lunch with friends, or I get a massage. Working out is also a way to do something good for yourself. A great and absorbing book (or even a trashy magazine, if you're in the mood) is great too.

I hear you about retail therapy - that used to be me, too, except now I'm not that into it either.

SnuggleBuggles
08-30-2009, 12:11 PM
I like to go out to dinner and drinks with some of my friends. That's my favorite way to unwind. I also really like my tap class and some other exercise classes.

There have a been a few times since ds1 was born that I really reached my limit and have gone away for the weekend alone.

Oh, and I love kicking everyone out of the house and enjoying the peace and quiet! Even better if the house is clean and I have a good book or movie.

Beth

infomama
08-30-2009, 12:16 PM
I go out with a close friend for drinks, dinner...whatever. I have a friend who lives a couple of hours away and visiting her for a weekend is so good for my mental health.

katydid1971
08-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Spa trip. A facial or a massage then a nice lunch is so relaxing. DH is great, he'll see I need some time off and he'll come home with a gift certificate. I feel so much better about myself and my life after a spa trip.

kijip
08-30-2009, 04:12 PM
I recharge as often as possible.

Exercise.

Reading a book that has nothing to do with parenting or parents.

Going out with my husband.

hillview
08-30-2009, 07:23 PM
DH and I go out. I nap, get my toes painted, shower (odd I know), go out with a girlfriend.
/hillary

maestramommy
08-30-2009, 08:34 PM
If there's a MNO in my moms group, I'll do my best to make it.

I joined the handbell choir and church, and volunteer to play for services and/or accompany the choir when the director needs a pianist.

I do the grocery shopping on weekend afternoons alone. Well, right now I take Laurel, but once she is consistently napping in the afternoons I'll leave her at home with Dh as well.

Read, read, read.

ellies mom
08-30-2009, 09:11 PM
I shove my kindle into my knitting bag, possibly grab my laptop and hit the coffeeshop. Then I read, knit and work on digital scrapbooking as I see fit. Maybe grab lunch and hit a fabric/yarn store. Another possibilty it locking myself in my "sewing room" and sew stuff for the girls.

I'm in school so I have babysitter on the days the husband works. Sometimes I swap "me" time for "studying" time. On the days the husband is home, I just throw my hands up and leave.

brittone2
08-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Anything where I can hear my own thoughts. That's the hardest part for me, with a SAHM life. I often feel like I can't have my own thoughts, my own internal dialogue for lack of a better description. And as an introvert (I like people, I just recharge better when I'm by myself ;) ), being able to focus on my own thoughts for more than 30 seconds is important to me.

I stay up late...I like the peace at night. My kids sleep in so it works out ;) I will read a magazine out on the deck while the kids play outside together and are entertaining one another. Magazine and a cup of coffee or tea is always nice and doable in 15 minute bursts sometimes when my kids are playing.

When I need a more extensive break, a coffee shop outing, hanging out at B&N, the occasional date night w/ DH are all helpful. And crafting while DH has the kids since I can't deal w/ crafting (my own stuff) with kids around if it is anything that requires focus or attention.

eta: I get my hair cut every 5 weeks and I often arrive 15 mins early so I can chill and read a magazine for a bit to stretch my peace and quiet a little longer LOL. Whenever they apologize for running late I tell them it is blissful chilling out and reading a magazine in peace, so I really don't mind ;)

marie
08-30-2009, 09:53 PM
And as an introvert (I like people, I just recharge better when I'm by myself ;) ), being able to focus on my own thoughts for more than 30 seconds is important to me.

I just had to say that one of my major "A-HA" moments as a parent was when I took the Meyers-Briggs a couple of years ago. I had already taken it many years ago and knew I was an introvert but when I took it as a stay-at-home parent, I realized "That's why I am D.O.N.E. at the end of the day!"

OP -
I do choral groups/community theater. I used to like to go to B&N (now the closest one is an hour away). I find it much harder to recharge in my house - always way too cluttered and projects calling out to me.

I've been feeling very burned-out lately and am due for a weekend away. That's the only way that I have ever felt super refreshed. (and since moving and not knowing too many people, i long for time away from children and with a good friend.)

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07

pinkmomagain
08-30-2009, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=brittone2;2462326]Anything where I can hear my own thoughts. That's the hardest part for me, with a SAHM life. I often feel like I can't have my own thoughts, my own internal dialogue for lack of a better description. And as an introvert (I like people, I just recharge better when I'm by myself ;) ), being able to focus on my own thoughts for more than 30 seconds is important to me. QUOTE]

OMG. This is exactly me. And I have 3 girls who are constantly talking....at the same time....to me....about 3 different things. All I want is to be alone with my own thoughts!

brittone2
08-30-2009, 10:24 PM
[quote=brittone2;2462326]Anything where I can hear my own thoughts. That's the hardest part for me, with a SAHM life. I often feel like I can't have my own thoughts, my own internal dialogue for lack of a better description. And as an introvert (I like people, I just recharge better when I'm by myself ;) ), being able to focus on my own thoughts for more than 30 seconds is important to me. QUOTE]

OMG. This is exactly me. And I have 3 girls who are constantly talking....at the same time....to me....about 3 different things. All I want is to be alone with my own thoughts!

It is hard, isn't it?? Mine talk non stop as well, and since they are both with me all day (we homeschool), it can be a LOT of stimulation for me to handle LOL.

I'm better now that I realize not hearing my own thoughts can be a trigger for me. I have to find ways to make that happen.

randomkid
08-30-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm better now that I realize not hearing my own thoughts can be a trigger for me. I have to find ways to make that happen.

Hmmm...maybe this is why I talk out loud TO myself a lot more now that I have DD. I was vacuuming today and found myself talking away. I just thought it was old age! :ROTFLMAO:

brittone2
08-30-2009, 10:44 PM
Hmmm...maybe this is why I talk out loud TO myself a lot more now that I have DD. I was vacuuming today and found myself talking away. I just thought it was old age! :ROTFLMAO:

LOL :ROTFLMAO:

I was wondering how it would sound if I discussed hearing my own thoughts...I figured everyone here would assume I was hearing voices ;) I'm glad most of you get what I mean :D

ellies mom
08-30-2009, 10:53 PM
I just had to say that one of my major "A-HA" moments as a parent was when I took the Meyers-Briggs a couple of years ago. I had already taken it many years ago and knew I was an introvert but when I took it as a stay-at-home parent, I realized "That's why I am D.O.N.E. at the end of the day!"

My huge A-Ha moment was when I read "Your Spirited Child" and realized I wasn't really the extrovert that I thought I was. I'm actually a social introvert. I do enjoy being around people but I definitely need that "alone" time to recharge.

ThreeofUs
08-30-2009, 11:18 PM
Exercise does it for me; I can't beat endorphins for changing my mood!

lchang25000
08-31-2009, 12:12 AM
I enjoy lunch with gfs, getting a pedicure, going to a bookstore to read, even taking a nap is helpful!