PDA

View Full Version : How much/ often do you swear?

ourbabygirl
08-30-2009, 01:12 PM
I used to be the type of person who would almost NEVER swear- maybe a couple times a year if I thought it was really necessary. But since having a kid, I seem to get frustrated much more easily, and when something really annoying happens to me, or I do something wrong (accidentally hit my funny bone or stub my toe really hard, etc.), I tend to let out a "minor" profanity (never when DD or family/ friends are around, though, just when DH is). I'm mad at myself and don't want to get into this habit. Anyone BTDT? Suggestions? I feel like DH is starting to swear more, too, and I don't know how to get him to curb it other than some sort of change jar that we use towards family outings! ;)

Thanks!

neeleymartin
08-30-2009, 01:19 PM
i swear pretty often. NEVER around my kids though.

Twoboos
08-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Before kids - a whole lot. Now I still do, but when they're not around, or at least quietly/under my breath. Sometimes when they've gone to bed and I am cleaning up, I get on kind of a rampage and sound like a sailor - I think it's just all coming out from being pent up all day!! :)

Funny thing is, DH used to not swear as much and now for some reason his mouth has gotten worse, especially in front of DDs! He's where DD2 learned to say, "Bambit!" :ROTFLMAO:

Laurel
08-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Hourly, at least. Trying to quit, though.

SnuggleBuggles
08-30-2009, 02:24 PM
The only time I swear is when driving. And, yes, the kids are right there. They are "grown up words." :) I have adopted some words like fudgesicles instead of the f word for things. If I find myself about to say the f word (which I rarely do- a handful of times a week, maybe) I can usually stop myself and get that word out instead.

Beth

Melaine
08-30-2009, 02:31 PM
I never used to swear. I admit sometimes I do now when the girls are out of hearing. There just seems to be a lot to cuss about now that I have kids!:ROTFLMAO:

I know it's not really funny, and I do need to stop it. I like the idea of "fudgesicles!"

Wife_and_mommy
08-30-2009, 02:33 PM
I don't use swear words. I do use flippin', blasted, and a couple others. My DD has repeated those and, to me, they sound basically the same so I won't be doing that anymore.

infomama
08-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Hmmm, too much I would say.

The only things I say around the kids are 'Schiesse" (pronounced shy-ss) which is the German word for s**t and the random 'dammit' which I am not proud of in the least and trying very very hard to stop saying.

wellyes
08-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Occasionally and with no guilt. We're grownups, what does it matter? Honestly, I do not associate moral failure with certain words - except words used in bigotry and hate, and even then, the *words* aren't the problem usually.

I personally do not think almost-swearing euphamisms like fudge/frak/flippin'/frell are any more or less objectionable than the traditionally forbidden words. They can, however, be a fun way to identify with a subculture ('frell' comes from the TV series Farscape and I think 'frak' is from BSG).

kijip
08-30-2009, 03:18 PM
You don't want to know.

In certain situations, like a #@*#@*#! sailor.

Somehow T has escaped learning to talk like that.

Why do I swear? I think it is in part because I have to be very, very articulate in some parts of my life so sometimes in private summing it all up with a single emotion word is nice. I never swear in situations that it is not acceptable to those I am with to do so. I don't feel guilty about it. I'd rather swear for example, than be a gossip or be uncharitable towards others.

To me replacements for swearing ARE swearing, it's the thought that counts. Fudge, fiddlesticks, Frick...all the same to me as their less acceptable counterparts.

katydid1971
08-30-2009, 03:40 PM
I try to say "goodness" or "oh my"or "shot" most of the time but I use "sh#t" when I hurt myself or do some thing really bad. I never use "F#@%". The "sh word" only slips out once in awhile. DH never swears (which I like). I really hate the sound of those words. We sometimes stop by a McDonalds for a special treat, its about a block from a high school and those kids use the "f word" ever other word. I have scolded them for saying it in front of my DC, the kids are usually really embarased to be scolded and will stop.

LarsMal
08-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Entirely too much! I try not to do it around the kids, but I swear they have radar ears!!!

Of course they've picked up on some of it and will try it out from time to time. DS uses it correctly, so I'm trying to find new words to use instead. I am dreading the phone call from preschool that DS dropped an f-bomb (that was DH, not me!). I keep telling him if he uses any bad language at school they will kick him out and he'll never be able to go back to preschool again. I hope it works! Funny thing is DS is SO timid and mostly mild-mannered that you'd never expect *him* to be the kid with the potty mouth. Bad mama!! :bag

SnuggleBuggles
08-30-2009, 03:44 PM
I don't see how the replacement G-rated words can be on the same level as swear words. Yeah, they are being used in the same context but if a kid declares "fudgesicles!" at school they won't get in trouble like the would had they actually sworn.

Beth

bubbaray
08-30-2009, 04:28 PM
:bag

Um, far too much.

DH gets around the "bad words" by swearing in German.

And, my 2yo was on a "dam" streak the past couple of weeks. We stopped at the Grand Coulee DAM, I swear. he he he.

wellyes
08-30-2009, 04:45 PM
I don't see how the replacement G-rated words can be on the same level as swear words. Yeah, they are being used in the same context but if a kid declares "fudgesicles!" at school they won't get in trouble like the would had they actually sworn.

Eh, an expletive is an expletive. "So that I won't get in trouble" isn't a good enough reason to put certain words off limits.

Of course people who curse every 3rd word are annoying, but so is anyone with a very limited vocabulary.

I will admit, though, that I haven't really had to deal with this as a parent..... DD is still on the "kitty" and "uh-oh" stage of speaking. So many I'll get more annoyed with cussing in a few years. But for now, I'm still feeling like swearing is no sin, it's just another part of language.

Corie
08-30-2009, 05:00 PM
To me replacements for swearing ARE swearing, it's the thought that counts. Fudge, fiddlesticks, Frick...all the same to me as their less acceptable counterparts.

Yep, I completely agree with Katie!

FWIW, I swear way too much. Unfortunately, there are a few swear words
that I just enjoy saying.
I do try and watch what I say in front of the kids. But occasionally, like when
our new puppy takes a dump on my living room rug, then they will hear a few
choice words coming out of my mouth.

gatorsmom
08-30-2009, 06:16 PM
I've cut down a lot. I'll say the fbomb about once every couple of months when I"m REALLY mad and ornery. I say it quietly though.

"Sh*t!" on the other hand, comes out when I"m driving or I step on a Leggo.

AngelaS
08-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Not very often. If I hurt myself, I tend to yell "bad words bad words!" It takes some of the sting out of the pain. :)

KrisM
08-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Maybe a couple times a year. I never have done more than that.

I do say "darn", but that's about the worse of my normal.

pinkmomagain
08-30-2009, 07:15 PM
I think the worst it gets around the kids is g*d d*mmit or jesus christ (which I guess some consider swearing/taking the lord's name in vein) or fre*kin'. All the others are used only in the presence of adults. DH lets more fly sometimes and I don't approve. My older kids are getting into their teens and I hope they follow my lead: amongst friends is one thing, but in our home they will have to edit themselves.

mamicka
08-30-2009, 07:59 PM

The thought is the same, most likely anger. I don't have a problem with people being angry. The problem with swear words is they're vulgar. Fudge isn't vulgar.

I don't swear, it just never became part of my vocabulary - there wasn't any swearing in my home growing up.

I do use the Lord's name in vain which is basically the same thing. I consider it sinful & I'm working on it.

brittone2
08-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Plenty. But I've gotten better in recent years. I definitely can lean toward a potty mouth if I don't check myself :loveeyes:

Naranjadia
08-30-2009, 09:07 PM
I try to curb it around the kids, and switch over to "Oh, shoot!" But I'm only about 90% successful.

Once, I was removing the plastic from one of those puzzles that makes sounds and I looked at the bottom and saw that it required we add AA batteries. I said "Oh no, it takes f***ing batteries!" Well my son (at 24 mo) thought that was part of the game - he'd lift up the puzzle, look at the bottom and say "oh no, f***ing batteries!" Ugh! Lesson learned for mama. We just ignored it and it went away, luckily. Haven't heard that word since.

GlindaGoodWitch
08-30-2009, 11:21 PM
I find "Son of a NUTCRACKER!" does the job really really nicely. Thank you Elf.

Raidra
08-30-2009, 11:43 PM
I swear all the time. It doesn't really bother me, nor does it bother my family. Sometimes I get teased a little, but we're a family that teases a lot.

My kids hear me swear and they very, very rarely swear themselves. I've explained our swearing rules here before, but basically, they can say whatever words they want, so long as anyone around them won't mind. So, if Colwyn were to hurt himself and swear loudly in front of just me and my husband, no biggie. Minor swears are perfectly okay in front of my parents. No swearing at all in front of friends, other relatives, and strangers.

I just don't see the big deal. I mean, I don't like hearing people that use the f-word as an all-purpose adjective, but swearing in response to a legitimate upset is fine by me.

MontrealMum
08-30-2009, 11:54 PM
I'm getting better. I just try to consider my audience ;)

Funny story...when I was a kid, my maternal grandmother really liked to swear, so she'd spell out the word...usually it was h*e*l*l...however, I was an early reader (and speller!) :) She was aghast when I asked my mom what that meant...:D All the more reason for me to watch my language as an adult!

Anyone old like me that remembers... this book (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Best-Christmas-Pageant-Ever/Barbara-Robinson/e/9780064470445/?itm=1&usri=1)? I went around saying "I'm appalled by your barbaric behavior" for MONTHS! My goal is to get DS to use "big" words like that eventually :)

kijip
08-31-2009, 12:04 AM

Like Raidra's kids, it didn't take much for T to learn that he can't say everything everywhere WRT language. He knows a lot of swear words, more than I care to think about (my dad is the sort who curses when he spills stuff in the kitchen etc and there is no reining him in) but has never sworn at a playgroup, preschool or school or at a person.

kijip
08-31-2009, 12:11 AM
The thought is the same, most likely anger. I don't have a problem with people being angry. The problem with swear words is they're vulgar. Fudge isn't vulgar.

But when said in replacement for a known, vulgar word, it takes on the same meaning to me. Just my opinion.

I don't have a problem with anger, but I do with name calling and swearing at people...which is why the replacements often seem as ill tempered as the originals if they are being directed at a person or are calling people names. Exclaiming at stubing ones toe? Fine. Shouting words at someone? Not so much.

Still some words, like bitch and f*ck have taken on a vastly different note than their vulgar roots. Ie the Bitching Post.

Most of the swearing I do it not actually in anger, it is in banter with a certain set of friends. "You have to be f-ing kidding me" etc.

gatorsmom
08-31-2009, 12:31 AM
Plenty. But I've gotten better in recent years. I definitely can lean toward a potty mouth if I don't check myself :loveeyes:

Beth, LOL, I would NEVER have guessed this about you! Whenever I picture you, your children are studying quietly and you are mixing up baked oatmeal in your very "zen" kitchen. :D

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
08-31-2009, 01:29 AM
I don't use swear words. I do use flippin', blasted, and a couple others. My DD has repeated those and, to me, they sound basically the same so I won't be doing that anymore.

I say effing and f-bomb, or what the eff? Not usually in front of DD though. I used to be a nanny, so I am used to watching my mouth around kiddos! I use to swear like a $%^&#$^ truck driver!

maestramommy
08-31-2009, 07:28 AM
Not often. And not in front of the kids. My swearing tends to me mild though. I can't say the F word without cringing, even though I have no problem hearing it.

doberbrat
08-31-2009, 08:59 AM
almost never. I said a swear word when I was 5ish. My grandma unwrapped a new bar of ivory soap, wet it and shoved it in my mouth a bunch of times.

just thinking of swearing brings back the taste of the soap and the feeling of those bubbles in my mouth - I swore there were bubbles coming out of my ears.

mommylamb
08-31-2009, 09:02 AM
Let's just say it's a good thing that DS's daycare is close to home and not close to work because he's not in the car with me for a long time. That's when I do most of my swearing. I really have to watch myself when I'm around him, and DH is worse. But, I don't think it's the worst thing in the world.

lowrioh
08-31-2009, 09:12 AM
More often than I'd like to admit. DD isn't talking yet but we need to be more careful now that she is starting to understand words.
We do swear in DH's language a lot but I am afraid that we are going to go overseas and DD's limited vocabulary will be full of expletives. It would amuse some but horrify other relatives.

babybunny
08-31-2009, 09:27 AM
I said the phrase "oh crap" once and then DS came home from pre-school with a note from his teacher that he said it and was put in time out.

Fast forward 6 months, and I told DS that I wasn't going to take his crap anymore (he has really been pushing our buttons with inappropriate behavior, talking back, hitting his parents, etc to the point where he went into timeout every 5 minutes for about an hour on Saturday). He asked me "What is crap, Mommy?" Oh boy, I anticiapte another note today from his teacher -- and it's the first day of pre-K. Great.

We have seen him pick up a few words/phrases from his little friends that are MUCH worse than that - started from about the time he could talk. That was a horror show, but we managed to de-program him. We actually overheard him telling his teday bear not to say those words.

fivi2
08-31-2009, 09:35 AM
I do some (mostly in the car). I usually try to edit and say frak or whatever.

I do agree that the replacements aren't inherently different, in that all words are just labels that we agree on to express certain thoughts, emotions, objects. as in, nothing makes sh!t a "bad" word, other than society deciding it was.

However, I do replace, because as pps noted, my kids won't get in trouble for saying dangit where they might for saying dammit. But, for the times I do say the real word, my girls know they are grown up words and don't usually repeat them.

eta: I used to cuss like a sailor - just tried to clean it up post kids.

Wife_and_mommy
08-31-2009, 09:55 AM
almost never. I said a swear word when I was 5ish. My grandma unwrapped a new bar of ivory soap, wet it and shoved it in my mouth a bunch of times.

just thinking of swearing brings back the taste of the soap and the feeling of those bubbles in my mouth - I swore there were bubbles coming out of my ears.

This isn't as bad as this but when I was a kid I watched the movie Firestarter. A few days later I called my brother a b*stard. I had no idea what it meant but he was beside himself I'd just cursed at him. It still makes me :ROTFLMAO:.

jgenie
08-31-2009, 10:05 AM
Very rarely - maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I grew up in a house with swearing and never liked it. I'm working on getting DH to realize that DS is at the age where he will repeat anything he hears.

TonFirst
08-31-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm an effing sailor, but rarely, if ever, around my kids, especially since my son used the f-word, in context, at a friend's house. Thankfully it was a good friend who is also a sailor and not at his Catholic preschool.

I try to know my audience, but if I'm going to swear, I swear. I would rather bite my tongue and say nothing at all than something like, "Oh my heck!"

Moneypenny
08-31-2009, 11:03 AM
I almost never swear. I'm not opposed to it, I don't try on purpose not to do it, but I just rarely swear. I'm one of those annoying people who says "gosh darnit" and "oh my" and "shoot".

conniez
09-01-2009, 04:11 AM
A lot and too often. :shy: Been trying to cut it out though...I should punish myself by starting one of those jars that you put money in every time you swear & then you have to give the money away/donate it. If I remind myself I don't have that kind of money, maybe I'll actually be able to stop!

KBecks
09-01-2009, 04:22 AM
Very rarely. Only when very very very angry, and I'm more likely to swear back if someone else has used that language.

With the kids I say things like oopsiedoodles.

MamaKath
09-01-2009, 06:52 AM
More often than I'd like to admit.
:yeahthat: I am cracking up about the swearing in other languages! We avoided that, partly because dc pronounces our alternative better than english! I just avoid it in English (dc thinks idiot or jerk when I am driving is cursing, lol) and any other language. ;)