PDA

View Full Version : Are you more accident prone since having kids?

Laurel
08-30-2009, 01:48 PM
The swearing thread got me thinking about this. I feel like I am constantly tripping or bumping into stuff since having kids. Part of it is kid clutter underfoot, part of it is the constant multi-tasking, part of it is being occasionally pinched/hit/kicked/tripped by hysterical toddlers. I can tell I am doing too much and need to slow down when my limbs are dotted with bruises! Am I alone here?

new_mommy25
08-30-2009, 01:49 PM
I was never coordinated before whatsoever, but it definitely has gotten worse! I think most of it is the constant tiredness and all the crap I keep stepping on.

kijip
08-30-2009, 03:40 PM
When I was pregnant, yes. Not pregnant? I am back to normal. Well, back to normal at least in regards to accident proneness.

hellokitty
08-30-2009, 03:46 PM
I was never coordinated before whatsoever, but it definitely has gotten worse! I think most of it is the constant tiredness and all the crap I keep stepping on.

:yeahthat:

vejemom
08-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Oh, yes! I don't think I was a paragon of grace pre-children, but I definitely do trip, pinch fingers, stub toes, etc. a lot more often now. In fact, I try to wear closed-toe shoes to the grocery store ever since running over my toe with the cart.

o_mom
08-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Just want to suggest that lack of spatial awareness (not sure of the technical term, but not being able to locate your own body in space) can be a symptom of some medical issues. You may want to mention it to your doctor.

Laurel
08-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Just want to suggest that lack of spatial awareness (not sure of the technical term, but not being able to locate your own body in space) can be a symptom of some medical issues. You may want to mention it to your doctor.

I appreciate the advice, but these symptoms do tend to disappear like magic whenever I have extra sleep/help/time away from kids. So I'm fairly certain they are parenting stress-related.

maestramommy
08-30-2009, 08:57 PM
I am actually less accident prone since having kids. Before kids I was always banging into stuff, tripping, getting injured for one reason or another. Since having kids I quit my job, which reduced the banging around significantly. I also haven't done much running or hiking, which reduced the injuries. And I am also paranoid about tripping and dropping a child, so I've tended to be more watchful.

I have gotten MUCH more forgetful though! My mind is a sieve. :p

brittone2
08-30-2009, 09:22 PM
When I was pregnant, yes. Not pregnant? I am back to normal. Well, back to normal at least in regards to accident proneness.

That was me. Way clumsier while preggo...I broke more dishes, cups, glasses, and an entire set of corningware casserole dishes piece by piece while preggo LOL.

bubbaray
08-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Definitely. Plus, I am constantly bruised from the girls grabbing/kicking/pinching/hitting me. To the point that two of my coworkers took me aside and asked if DH was causing the bruising (he's definitely not, but objectively, I can see why they would be concerned). Usually, the bruises are self-inflicted, though. Like kicking the dishwasher door when its open. Walking into walls.

I totally chalk it up to being so tired I'm like the walking dead....

ThreeofUs
08-30-2009, 09:59 PM
You are not alone! I am constantly over-processing, and have been dropping and otherwise mangling things and myself since I've had kids. I can't believe I walk into major pieces of furniture and the house, but I do.

Between that and my little guys, for whom exploring the world is taking its toll on *me*, I'm a mass of bruises.

gobadgers
08-30-2009, 10:13 PM
YES. It's a good day if I haven't gotten a bump, cut, scrape or bruise. Being a SAHM, I'm a lot more physically active during the day than I was at work. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

vejemom
08-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Since I posted earlier today, I have:
- had a 10 month old drop her full sippy cup on my big toe. Ouch!
- bumped my toes on some heretofore unknown sharp plastic edge on the vacuum.
-gotten bonked in the small of the back by the handle of a runaway trash contained while attempting to wheel it out to the road while pulling the girls in their wagon.

I should go to bed now, I think...

tiapam
08-31-2009, 12:51 AM
Definitely. Plus, I am constantly bruised from the girls grabbing/kicking/pinching/hitting me. To the point that two of my coworkers took me aside and asked if DH was causing the bruising (he's definitely not, but objectively, I can see why they would be concerned). Usually, the bruises are self-inflicted, though. Like kicking the dishwasher door when its open. Walking into walls.

I totally chalk it up to being so tired I'm like the walking dead....

Melissa, I think both the clumsiness and the exhaustion could be a sign that your thyroid is out of whack. I know you have had problems with it before, maybe it is time for a fresh round of tests? I was going to suggest it in your thread but thought it might get lost there.
It really could be the answer to a lot of your questions. I am not a doctor, just a fellow sufferer who has learned not to underestimate the power of hormones.

ilovetivo
08-31-2009, 09:20 AM
I was clumsy before dd, but way more so now. It's a running joke w/ dh. I poke myself in the eye, trip, loose my balance. I just thought it was the fibro or fatigue.

But Pam, you have a good point. I'm hypothyroid/hashimoto's for past 15 yrs and since having my ovaries out, I've had to increase the meds. I'm due to retest in 2 weeks and maybe I'm still too hypo (underactive) or maybe the hashimoto's part is off - the auto immune part, which is why i take Cytomel/T3.

For me, when I'm too hypothyroid I'm more tired, fatigued, achy, depressed, out of it, frustrated, gain weight, impatient, forgetful, sleep issues and very possibly now...clumsy :)

Regardless of surgery though, sometimes my TSH numbers just change. (But during and post prego did it too). FYI - the official endocrinology society (can't remember name) says the correct range for TSH is .3 to 3., not the .5 to 5 that labs still use. I feel best around 1.0. Great site www.thyroid.about.com

purpleeyes
08-31-2009, 09:41 AM
Ugh, so true!
I think it is b/c I am constantly trying to multi-task, or I my focus is interrupted b/c they are being crazy or rough... I have two burns(!) right now that really hurt-all b/c I was talking/yelling/dealing with the kiddos while taking stuff out of the oven.
It was a good lesson... I *have* to slow down!

ThreeofUs
08-31-2009, 10:56 AM
For me, when I'm too hypothyroid I'm more tired, fatigued, achy, depressed, out of it, frustrated, gain weight, impatient, forgetful, sleep issues and very possibly now...clumsy

Regardless of surgery though, sometimes my TSH numbers just change. (But during and post prego did it too). FYI - the official endocrinology society (can't remember name) says the correct range for TSH is .3 to 3., not the .5 to 5 that labs still use. I feel best around 1.0.

Exactly. Hmmm.... I wonder if I should go and get retested now. That could really explain some of the snappiness and clumsiness I'm experiencing.

ilovetivo
08-31-2009, 11:42 AM
I can't believe I walk into major pieces of furniture and the house, but I do.

I walk into walls, misjudge where doors edges are and always hit my head on the freezer (top of fridge) :)

MontrealMum
08-31-2009, 02:25 PM
For me, when I'm too hypothyroid I'm more tired, fatigued, achy, depressed, out of it, frustrated, gain weight, impatient, forgetful, sleep issues and very possibly now...clumsy :)

This is a great point. I have been up and down w/my thyroid meds, and the list above is a great warning sign to me about when to go back to the doc for a little "tweak" outside of my regular monitoring. I've always been clumsy too, but my super-clumsy times that result in tons of bruises, broken toes and other out-of-the-norm accidents, have recently coincided in needing to get my meds adjusted. (along with the other fun symptoms above)