PDA

View Full Version : About my jury duty.........

Clarity
08-30-2009, 08:18 PM
DD1 is sick! Bet they've heard that before. She's got a 101.4 fever (underarm temp), cough, and now chills. There's no way she's going to to school tomorrow which means there's no way I'm going to Jury duty. They'll delay it, won't they?

Momof3Labs
08-30-2009, 08:46 PM
I wouldn't count on it. They expect you to have childcare lined up - even if it means your DH needs to stay home from work. There isn't much compassion or understanding when it comes to jury duty - probably, as you said, because they've heard it all before.

becca_g
08-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Depends on whether it is federal vs. state jury duty (and also depends on which state you live in).

I would call first thing in the morning, explain the situation, and see what they say. In MA, if you have a child dependent on you for care, you can be excused.

Clarity
08-30-2009, 09:01 PM
This is what I'm afraid of, but dh is dealing w/major depression and has a therapists appt. that I don't want him to miss tomorrow. Plus, I'm thinking they might be more cautious w/H1N1 making the rounds. She does have fever, chills and a dry cough...I'm actually a bit concerned about her.

There's no one I would ask at this late moment to take care of my sick child....I wouldn't want them to get sick, kwim? She's usually at daycare.

becca_g
08-30-2009, 09:25 PM
I was summoned for federal jury for 2 months this July/August as well as for MA state jury duty in September (how did I get so lucky??). I called both to let them know I am pregnant and find out about frequency of bathroom breaks, etc.

Both were very understanding. For federal, I was told to state I was pregnant on the required paperwork and that I would likely be excused (which I was). For state, I still have to report but was told I may very likely be excused once they see me (I am in my 3rd trimester).

I know your situation is a bit different since this is last minute, but I wouldn't panic until you've had a chance to talk to someone in the jury commissioner's office. Also, if you haven't already, read through any paperwork you've received to see what the rules are for that particular court.

I have a feeling that when you mention you are concerned your DD might have the flu, they will not want you anywhere near the courtroom. I hope she is feeling better soon by the way.

Good luck!

ThreeofUs
08-30-2009, 10:01 PM
This is what I'm afraid of, but dh is dealing w/major depression and has a therapists appt. that I don't want him to miss tomorrow. Plus, I'm thinking they might be more cautious w/H1N1 making the rounds. She does have fever, chills and a dry cough...I'm actually a bit concerned about her.

There's no one I would ask at this late moment to take care of my sick child....I wouldn't want them to get sick, kwim? She's usually at daycare.

Just be honest with them. They'll probably cut you a break. Nothing like a totally distracted juror, kwim?

ETA: Hope your little one feels better soon!

kijip
08-30-2009, 11:10 PM
Depends on where you are. In my county, they are very understanding. Other places, not so much.

geochick
08-30-2009, 11:55 PM
My bil used to be in charge of lining up jurors for a court. He had to send out the sheriff to houses where the juror just didn't show.

Worst case scenario...take your sick kid with you and explain the situation.

Best case, have someone come to your house so you can go in and explain. Tell them you think she has swine flu.

If there are plenty of jurors, you'll be one of the first they swipe off the list.

Good luck.

becca_g
08-31-2009, 07:44 PM
DD1 is sick! Bet they've heard that before. She's got a 101.4 fever (underarm temp), cough, and now chills. There's no way she's going to to school tomorrow which means there's no way I'm going to Jury duty. They'll delay it, won't they?

I was wondering what the outcome was with jury duty today?

Hope your DD is feeling better!

ThreeofUs
08-31-2009, 08:19 PM
I was wondering what the outcome was with jury duty today?

Hope your DD is feeling better!

Do tell! Inquiring minds, you know.

Clarity
08-31-2009, 08:31 PM
and I spoke to the very nice lady doing the processing. I explained that dd was ill, that I was a bit worried about it being the flu. And, that I had the additional request of needing to pump while I was there. She excused me for the day right then, asked if someone was caring for dd (my dh) and told me to stay for orientation and I would be put in the panel to go home at 11:00a.m. Then I simply had to call this evening to see if they would need me tomorrow. I did, and they don't! :boogie:
DD, btw, is still a bit off. Not eating well, quieter than usual but she's by no means out of commission. She did a fair bit of hardy play today. Her fever is down and the ped. when I called didn't seem to think it was the flu. I'm to bring her in tomorrow if her fever spikes again tonight.
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciated it!

brittone2
08-31-2009, 08:32 PM
So glad it worked out for you! Phew, what a relief!

The anticipation of how things are going to go in those situations is awful. Glad it all worked out, and I hope your DD is feeling back to her normal self very soon!

becca_g
08-31-2009, 09:22 PM
Glad everything worked out and that your DD is feeling a bit better.

dcmom2b3
08-31-2009, 09:33 PM
Glad that DD is getting better, and that your juror office was sensible. Ours isn't, unless, of course, it is (the lack of consistent policy is the worst).

ThreeofUs
08-31-2009, 09:59 PM
Awesome! So glad your DD is feeling better - or at least not any worse - and that you don't have to be a juror.

Clarity
08-31-2009, 10:25 PM
Oh, see...except for dd being sick and having to pump and just the general bad timing of it...I WANT to be a juror! I do appreciate the civic duty of it all, but I'm most interested in the process. I've never been a juror before. Maybe next time. (hope it's after I'm done pumping)

rlu
09-01-2009, 01:33 AM
Oh, see...except for dd being sick and having to pump and just the general bad timing of it...I WANT to be a juror! I do appreciate the civic duty of it all, but I'm most interested in the process. I've never been a juror before. Maybe next time. (hope it's after I'm done pumping)

I served on a jury while still in college. A guy bought drugs from an undercover cop. They actually plea-bargained after the cop testified, but overall I thought the experience was very interesting. I almost passed out when they were describing how the drug was usually taken (I had a phobia about needles until I was pg and got used to the blood draws) and afterwards the cop made a point of coming by and asking if I was ok.

I was also called for the Pink Poodle murder but that was expected to take months and my work wouldn't cover me that long so I had to get out on hardship (there were lots of us called for that one). I think that one would have been interesting but sickening.

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/metro/10.23.97/pink-murder-9743.html