PDA

View Full Version : Walker recommendation?

saddie23
08-30-2009, 09:41 PM
What walker toy do you like for learning to walk? DD is just starting to cruise around, and I'd like to get a good walker for her first birthday (about one month away!)

DebbieJ
08-30-2009, 09:44 PM
We didn't use a walker and my guess is that many on this board do not either.

Just provide plenty of sturdy surfaces for pulling up and cruising--no walker needed!

SnuggleBuggles
08-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Do you mean a contraption that you put baby in, like an exersaucer? Or something they can walk behind and push?

Beth

Melbel
08-30-2009, 09:52 PM
For a push walker, we have and recommend the Radio Flyer walker wagon. It is sturdier than the plastic ones. DS and DD1 have given her rides in the wagon early on and she loved pushing it while learning to walk. Now that she is a steady walker, she still enjoys pushing toys around and crashing into anything in her path. sigh.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005AWB5/ref=ox_ya_os_product

We paid $55 last year on amazon.com. You may want to put it in your cart and keep checking for price drops since you have some time.

brittone2
08-30-2009, 10:21 PM
I worked in early intervention as a pediatric PT pre-kids, so I'm pretty firmly in the anti-walker camp.

I think a sturdy push toy (which might have been what you meant in your post) is a great thing to have if you can swing it. My two personal favs and two that are well-liked here are the RF walker wagon and the Haba walker wagon. Both are expensive but the weight of the wood makes them sturdier. YOu want something with a relatively wide wheel base (more stable), and a handle that doesn't jut out very far from the center of gravity. Both have wheels that roll nicely and don't skid out or go too quickly (some plastic models can be tough to use on hardwood or non carpeted surfaces).

THe RF and Haba walker wagon can be repurposed for other play (doll stroller, toy storage, shopping cart, etc.) so that helps a little w/ the cost. If you have an active craigslist you could probably recoop most of your intial cost anyway.

Pulling your couch cushions off (if you can) makes a great place for cruising and pulling to stand. Pushing around a weighted down laundry basket (with supervision) is also another inexpensive way to help them work on pre-walking skills.

saddie23
08-31-2009, 09:12 AM
I meant a push toy - sorry that wasn't clear in my original post! Thanks for the suggestions of the radio flyer and haba push toys. I have a couple of plastic ones I found at garage sales, but I'm looking for something a little more stable to start out with.