PDA

View Full Version : a TMI question re: weaning (help please!)

TwinFoxes
08-31-2009, 11:50 AM
I had to wean about three weeks ago because I needed to take medication that was counter-indicated for breast feeding. :( We stopped close to cold turkey, but there was some tapering off. It went pretty well. But over the weekend my boobs started getting sore. And (TMI alert...) my right one started leaking! :confused: I thought for sure that by now my milk would have dried up, it's been three weeks since I last nursed. When I touch my right breast it feels sore, almost like a plugged duct, but not as bad, and there's definitely a lump about the size of a kumquat. Is this to be expected so late after I finished nursing? Should I pump? I do NOT want to re-lactate, but it seems like I'm re-lactating on my own. I can't have the girls nurse because I'm still on medication (and will be for the foreseeable future.) Any advice is appreciated.

tiapam
08-31-2009, 12:04 PM
I would do hot showers, compresses, massage. I would try not to pump unless you are in a lot of pain and think it will help with that. If you can concentrate on getting the clog out over the next 12-24 hours, you will probably not need to do anything else but watch out for it to happen again. I think I also took Advil when I had similar, but I am a little fuzzy on that. You might want to make sure you are wearing looser fitting bras and tops so there is little compression in that area, both now and in the next few weeks.

If you were nursing twins, it's not surprising to me that your body is still producing. I don't think you are re-lactating, I think your body did a good job adjusting at first, but now is thinking, hey, isn't there someone here who wants some milk?

elephantmeg
08-31-2009, 12:09 PM
try some benadryl too. It worked for me and for a friend of mine. You may need to pump a little for comfort (or hand express). If you end up with a fever etc you may have mastitis.

hobie
08-31-2009, 12:21 PM
No advice on the plugged duct, but I also had to quit nursing cold turkey due to my meds. That was almost 7 months ago, and I am still able to express some milk. Going cold turkey is hard.

TwinFoxes
08-31-2009, 12:31 PM
No advice on the plugged duct, but I also had to quit nursing cold turkey due to my meds. That was almost 7 months ago, and I am still able to express some milk. Going cold turkey is hard.

Interesting! So it's not weird. I think pp may be right, my boobs must be thinking they'll be called into service for hungry babies. I can't believe I have ANOTHER plugged duct though! :irked: That was the only reason I was happy to wean, no more plugged ducts.

Thanks for all of your advice.

nupe
08-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Lecithin helped me prevent plugged ducts while nursing. And helped me clear them when I was away from baby thinking I had dried up, but no still making milk.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
08-31-2009, 12:59 PM
Drink peppermint tea, it decreases milk supply. FWIW, I weaned after 2 years in May, and I still have some milk left, which is not uncommon. I was never engorged though, even in the beginning I never leaked.

AnnieW625
08-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Just want to wish you good luck and I remember one day about 2 mos. after I stopped I squeezed my nipple and a little milk still came out. Good luck! I am going to have to remember that peppermint tea thing the next time I need to wean because both times I stopped breast feeding (with Elisa and then after my milk came in April after my D&E surgery) I was engorged and it was soo painful.