PDA

View Full Version : Need fridge/freezer organizing tips

tiapam
08-31-2009, 12:47 PM
My fridge and freezer are a perpetual mess. I would like to make sure leftovers are not overlooked (or pushed to the back) and stuff that needs to be used up is obvious too. I have a top freezer fridge. TIA!

KrisM
09-02-2009, 04:39 PM
I know some of the organizing sites say to use baskets in there and group like things. I haven't tried this as I can't find the right size of basket.

tiapam
09-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Thanks, that does sound like a good place to start. I guess a trip to Container Store is in order. I did come up with the idea to photograph the insides to see if it gives me any inspiration. It doesn't help that I don't love our fridge but it works perfectly fine so no need to replace it right now. Anyway, it's probably not the fridge's fault it is so messy...

niccig
09-03-2009, 01:53 AM
Try the dollar store. I found 4 baskets for my chest freezer. One for chicken, one for fish etc.

BUT I still forget what is in there. I think I need an inventory list - a sheet of paper and I write what is in there and cross off when used, and add to when put something else in...I can't think of any other way to keep track.

Also, when I briefly meal planned, I checked fridge/pantry/freezer for what I already had when planning the meals. I think that helped too.

MontrealMum
09-03-2009, 02:13 AM
I use cheapo dollar-store type baskets. It isn't perfect (the fault is with us, not the system), but at least it's easier to lift things out! We have 2 freezer spaces: a chest freezer, and above the fridge. I try (and this I generally succeed at) to put only fruit, spices, and desserts above the fridge (no idea why I divided it this way) and meat, cut up veggies, bread items and cooked meals in the chest freezer. Since the chest freezer is so deep, baskets are key. It came w/ one, and one "wall" divider, but that's not enough...things get lost in there so easily, forgotten, and have to be thrown out.

W/ the fridge one, I really only use baskets for the spices (I grow my own) because they're in ziplocs and they fall all over the place otherwise. I have thought about using the inventory idea, but haven't quite gotten there yet.

KrisM
09-03-2009, 07:27 AM
Try the dollar store. I found 4 baskets for my chest freezer. One for chicken, one for fish etc.

BUT I still forget what is in there. I think I need an inventory list - a sheet of paper and I write what is in there and cross off when used, and add to when put something else in...I can't think of any other way to keep track.

Also, when I briefly meal planned, I checked fridge/pantry/freezer for what I already had when planning the meals. I think that helped too.

I like this idea for a list:
http://donnas-dayz.blogspot.com/2009/07/whats-that-clump-of-ice-in-freezer.html

I agree about the dollar store. I've gotten most of my organizing baskets there.

niccig
09-03-2009, 11:33 AM
I like this idea for a list:
http://donnas-dayz.blogspot.com/2009/07/whats-that-clump-of-ice-in-freezer.html

I like this...I'm going to use it.
Thanks...let me guess organizing junkie?? THanks for posting that earlier, I'm looking through it, getting ideas. I'm working on my command center.

KrisM
09-03-2009, 12:03 PM
I like this...I'm going to use it.
Thanks...let me guess organizing junkie?? THanks for posting that earlier, I'm looking through it, getting ideas. I'm working on my command center.

More-or-less :).

There was a link to Works for Me Wednesday which had bunches of organizing tips yesterday and I saw that one. I like it because we do a lot of freezer meals and I think this will help with running out of things without realizing it.

Love Organizing Junkie!

Here's a printable version of the freezer checklist: http://organizedhome.com/sites/default/files/notebook_food_inventory_freezer.pdf