PDA

View Full Version : Tips for buying a used car?

geochick
08-31-2009, 01:37 PM
I rear ended a car today while I was taking my kids to school. We're all fine. My car is not. We have liability only insurance on my cute little car (it's a 1996), so rather than fixing the car, I think we'll put that money into a new (to us) car. I won't buy a brand new car because of depreciation. I do think I want something that's fairly new, still under warranty (dealer certified???).

Anyway, I haven't purchased a car in a LONG time. Can you give me some tips for getting a good deal, a good car, and for not getting taken for "a ride?" I don't want to appear desperate, so I know I shouldn't take my banged up car to go car shopping. :)

Thanks.

ourbabygirl
08-31-2009, 04:49 PM
No advice, as I'll also be looking for new wheels in the spring, but be sure to test out your car seat(s) in the back for size and everything. Also, gas prices are supposed to go back up quite a bit ($4/gallon?), so you may want to take that more into consideration.

Happy shopping!

kijip
08-31-2009, 05:35 PM
My main advice is to (even if it is factory certified used) to take it to your own mechanic for a pre-purchase complete inspection. Best money you will ever spend on a used car. If a dealer won't agree to this RUN away. Any reputable used car dealer will.

And Consumer Reports has a used car guide which is helpful about models and years with better than avg reliability, glitches, lower than avg reliability etc.

BabyMine
08-31-2009, 05:45 PM
One thing I learned the hard way is not to trust Carfax. Call your insurance company with the VIN number. I bought a car several years ago and the Carfax came out clean. Then weird things started happening. I happened to call around to car insurance companies to compare rates. When I gave an insurance agent my VIN number he asked me if I had ever been in an accident in the car. I told him I hadn't and that I had recently purchased it. He had 3 accidents that were linked to my VIN. I told him that Carfax said it was clean. He told me that if it isn't reported somehow to Carfax then it won't be listed with them.

ourbabygirl
08-31-2009, 06:14 PM
Oh yeah on the Carfax thing. DH bought a car a few years back from a dealer in FL... the Carfax report was clean, but there's some other car report that showed it had been in an accident and had frame damage! Learned that lesson the hard way. At least the car was fun while we had it ;).

geochick
08-31-2009, 07:11 PM
Great info. This will get me started. Thanks.