PDA

View Full Version : baking bread...yummmmmm

LBW
08-31-2009, 02:38 PM
I had read about the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day book, but I didn't try the basic recipe until today. It's so easy and the bread is delicious! I swear it might be easier than my bread machine, and the crust is way better.

There's a good article about the process including the basic recipe and several variations here:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Artisan-Bread-In-Five-Minutes-A-Day.aspx

I can't wait to try some whole grain versions.

elliput
08-31-2009, 02:45 PM
That looks yummy!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
08-31-2009, 02:55 PM
DH and I were talking about this subject last night! Thanks OP, the site looks awesome.

clc053103
08-31-2009, 03:05 PM
love love love this book- got it after a thread on What's Cookin talked about it, there were lots of converts from that post!

infomama
08-31-2009, 08:06 PM
I also love this book...a good investment IMO.

Melaine
08-31-2009, 08:08 PM
Ok, so I got it briefly from the library and was quickly overwhelmed. What I need is "Artisan Bread for Dummies" or the cliff notes or something.:shrug:

tiapam
08-31-2009, 08:35 PM
Ok, so I got it briefly from the library and was quickly overwhelmed. What I need is "Artisan Bread for Dummies" or the cliff notes or something.:shrug:

Here are the Cliff notes:

Buy demi baguettes from Costco. Freeze. Defrost (heating up optional) as needed.

Melaine
08-31-2009, 08:37 PM
Here are the Cliff notes:

Buy demi baguettes from Costco. Freeze. Defrost (heating up optional) as needed.

:ROTFLMAO:We don't have a Costco....one of these days I'll get someone to show me the Artisan tricks, I just don't think I can teach myself from a book.

LBW
08-31-2009, 08:44 PM

Melanie - Read the article I linked to. It's the cliff's notes version of the book!

Melaine
08-31-2009, 08:48 PM
Melanie - Read the article I linked to. It's the cliff's notes version of the book!

Oh! Thanks I will!:yay:

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
08-31-2009, 09:03 PM
Has anyone tried to bake bread at high altitude????

cheri
08-31-2009, 10:02 PM
I've been making that bread for the past three or four weeks--using the recipe from the Mother Earth News article. I love it! It really does just take a few minutes, and the bread is great. I mix up a batch of bread dough using my stand mixer (which takes about five minutes, including measuring) let it rise for a couple of hours, punch it down, and stick the dough in the fridge. Takes about two minutes to shape each loaf and a couple of minutes to deal with the oven. My oven bakes the bread in about 25 minutes. And the bread is good!!

I had to buy a baking stone and a peel, which was a little $$, but figured it was an investment. My husband loves bread, and often comes home from the grocery store with a $4 or $5 loaf of bakery bread. Hopefully now he'll just make it or have me make some.

I have tried the recipe with bread flour, all-purpose flour, and a mix of the two, and I was really surprised that I liked the all-purpose flour bread the best. The bread flour seemed to make it too dense (didn't know that was possible!). I'll be trying whole wheat flour soon.

Give it a try! It's really easy and yummy.

StantonHyde
08-31-2009, 11:36 PM
I tried making yeast cinnamon rolls last week. The initial rise (1 hour) went well. I then punched down, let rest 10 minutes and then formed into rolls. The problem was that by then it was later at night and the house had cooled down, so in 30 minutes or so they had not risen to double but it was 11 at night so I baked anyway. Bad. Next time, I will bake during the day so I have time for the whole process. Actually, I am going to buy rolls from Whole Foods :love-retry:

happymom
08-31-2009, 11:43 PM
I used to bake fresh challa bread every Friday for Sabbath before DD was born. 6 loaves! I would keep 2 and give the rest to my in-laws. I have to start doing that again- it makes the house smell HEAVENLY!! Not to mention the deliciousness! (if thats a word...) I usually make with bread flour, but also have a yummy recipe that uses only whole wheat flour that I would make every so often.

I also make cinnamon buns once in a while. Sorry yours didnt come out this time. It is SUCH an effort, so I know how frustrating that can be!

MamaKath
09-01-2009, 07:01 AM
OMGosh that sounds yummy!!! And Mother Earth News is one of my FAVORITE magazines!!! My favorite thing to pick up at Tractor Supply, lol, so dh subscribed (he figured it was cheaper than the mag and 2 Schliech animals each month) but it ran out. I need to hound him to order it again, love articles like this!!!

Oh and Tara, congrats to you on the 3 miles, I keep saying I need to just do it with the C25K program, but I need to download it, etc. I actually have an extra mp3 player that I was thinking of setting up for it. Need.to.do.it!!!