PDA

View Full Version : Need help with MOH speech

hellokitty
08-31-2009, 03:02 PM
Have any of you been a MOH before and had to do a speech at the wedding? I asked my friend if she wanted me (MOH) to make a speech. She never said yes or no. Well, the wedding is this wknd and I mentioned it (that my friend never told me yes or not about the speech, and as of yet, she still hasn't gotten back to me about what time rehearsal is either... can you tell I am annoyed?) to my DH and he said that I probably have to do a speech. UGH! So, I have no clue where to start. I tend to zone out during ppl's speeches at weddings, so most definitely my speech will be one that is short. Any tips on, "how" to come up with a MOH speech?

american_mama
08-31-2009, 04:25 PM
I was at a wedding three weeks ago with a charming Maid of Honor speech, so it's fresh in my mind. The MOH introduced herself, talked about how she met the bride and what she admired about her, gave a funny story or two just about the bride, talked about how the groom and bride met and how MOH knew it was something special, gave a funny story or two, and closed by saying why the couple was great and wishing them the best. The "stories" were very brief, so overall, the speech was just the right length, maybe 6-8 minutes?

I only slightly knew the bride, so I enjoyed learning more about her.

The groomsmen gave a similar speech but shorter - just some characteristics of the groom (mostly good-natured ribbing) and how he knew it was something special between the bridge and groom.

ourbabygirl
08-31-2009, 04:44 PM
Ugh- I hate speeches and don't envy you :). When I was a MOH about 7 years ago, it was right around the time the song "I hope you dance" (I think it's by Leann Womack) was popular. Anyway, I used some of the wording from the song, and personalized it a bit for my friend. I didn't really have any funny stories to tell, if I remember right- I'm bad at pulling off humor with large crowds and end up just rambling :tongue5:. So I would say to just be yourself and don't do anything that will make you uncomfortable. Also, guests and the wedding party like things to be short and sweet. I've been to weddings where the bridal party/ MOH/ Best Man went ON and ON and the guests were starting to roll their eyes/ look at their watches. You especially don't want that before dinner! And be sure not to drink too much beforehand ;)- I've seen some bad toasts by drunken buddies...

Good luck, and have fun at the wedding! And congrats on being asked to be a MOH :jammin:!

gavsmompa
08-31-2009, 04:45 PM
I gave a speech at my sister's wedding a little over a month ago and got many people who came up to me at the wedding and said how great it was. It was my first time too doing something like this. My sister was thankful & happy that I gave such a nice speech. Not trying to boast here, as public speaking is definitely not my forte but I can give you a few tips that helped me. Limit your speech to 5 minutes or less. Anything longer than that & you will lose the audience's attention. Start off by congratulating the bride/groom and saying how happy you are for them. Then focus on the bride and tell a funny little story. This will really capture the audience's attention. Perhaps a special moment, how you met etc. Then include some sentimental moment. I also had a few tips on marriage for the both of them, since I have been married for ten years. Wish them luck and all the best in the future and then end it. Oh and of course, at the end of the speech don't forget to actually raise your glass and toast the bride and groom. The best man at my sister's wedding actually forgot his glass when he went to do this and it was quite embarrassing for him! Well, hope that helps! Good luck.