PDA

View Full Version : New laptop or new battery? Anyone BTDT?

SammyeGail
08-31-2009, 03:44 PM
We have a Toshiba laptop that is about 3 years old. We have no problems with it at all. It started not carrying battery in the late winter, I would have about 10 minutes, then about 5. Ok enough at home to be able to carry it from one room to the next and plug it back in. That was fine with me.

Anytime we would mention it in passing to friends/family everyone would say 'you might as well buy a new laptop, it'll cost the same'...

I haven't looked at prices of new batteries, but last night I unplugged it to move it and it completely turned the computer off. I've tried it 3 times and its done the same thing.

So our battery is completely dead :crying:.

Our laptop is just fine, I hate to have to buy a new one. Do new batteries really cost a small fortune?

TIA, I don't even want to look at prices for them, I'm afraid I'll get sick : (.

Sam

BillK
08-31-2009, 03:50 PM
Well for starters - what model Toshiba laptop is it? There are lots of non-OEM battery resellers out there - but the first step is finding out what model the laptop is before anyone can give you a clue as to what a replacement battery will cost.

I bought a new battery for an ancient old Dell laptop I have - it was about 80 bucks as I recall.

codex57
08-31-2009, 04:07 PM
$50-150. Way cheaper than a new laptop. If it's fine, I'd just buy a new battery.

Nowadays, laptops are getting so powerful for what most people do (light web surfing, playing with pics, listening to music, light word processing) that laptops considered "antique" are still adequate. Might have to reinstall windows to get it running at a decent speed every now and then, but the hardware should still be adequate for most people. Generally, windows is teh weak link.

kali
08-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Well for starters - what model Toshiba laptop is it? There are lots of non-OEM battery resellers out there - but the first step is finding out what model the laptop is before anyone can give you a clue as to what a replacement battery will cost.

I bought a new battery for an ancient old Dell laptop I have - it was about 80 bucks as I recall.
:yeahthat:

You don't necessarily need a new Toshiba battery (which probably would cost several hundred dollars). There are tons of people on Ebay selling non-OEM laptop batteries. I paid around $60 for one for my old Dell. It's big and clunky but still works fine. I eventually upgraded to a new laptop, but it's nice to have the old one around to keep in a different room or for DS to use.

SpaceGal
08-31-2009, 05:25 PM
I have an Powerbook and my battery was like that two years ago...my DH bought me a new battery for like $200 and my laptop is still going strong. I think if it does what you need it to do and it's working try to find a replacement for now. It's better than shelling out $400+ for a new one.

SammyeGail
08-31-2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks, saw several on ebay, DH doesn't like buying eletronics on ebay, its one from New Jersey, not China, lol. He wants me to go thru Amazon but its twice the price, may just buy one on my own when he's at work tomorrow ;).

thanks again!!

Sam

kijip
08-31-2009, 11:08 PM
Yeah, new batteries are fine. Way cheaper than a new computer.

KrisM
08-31-2009, 11:16 PM
We've replaced batteries before for <$100 or so. Non-OEM. Works just fine.

stefani
08-31-2009, 11:28 PM
In April 2009 I bought a Toshiba laptop battery for $64.50 (shipped), from laptopbatterystore.com.

The laptop itself is almost 3 years old.

GL!

infomama
09-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Here is a store I have purchased from in the past. http://www.batteriesplus.com/