PDA

View Full Version : GRAPHIC pictures of aborted babies

Nooknookmom
08-31-2009, 07:35 PM
on a billboard this JERK was pulling around and around my DD's high school today. I went to pick up her and a friend (we carpool) and my DD was like "Mom, I'm traumatized".

I couldn't fathom just how grapic the scenes were until he drove by me. OMG. I could have hurled.

I called the PD and was one of many irate parents who called in, only to be told that it is his first amendmant right to voice his opinion. Excuse me, so friggin' close to minor children???!!!

There wasn't a patroman who could kindly pull his as# over and find """something""" to cite him for and let him know in a "gentle" manor that he was NOT welcome here? My good friends DH is an officer and said surely IF they wanted to they could have found some vehicle code violation to cite the fool for.

I am SO pissed right now, I am shaking. If this jerk surfaces again tomorrow, I'll phone into Jon & Ken, local radio guys, and let them know how the city that I live in handles obscene issues and it's children. The city's take "Oh, he'll go away". Yeah, after the kids have seen that crap.

What if he was doing that at one of our elementary schools/middle schools, would THAT be ok too? Or if I had pictures of nasty decomposing bodies on my car, is that ok too??

Any ideas to get rid of him (legally, lol), bring 'em on!!!

SnuggleBuggles
08-31-2009, 07:40 PM
Yes, this happens around my city a few times/ year. One day they completely took over the neighborhood with the library, ice cream stores, gym...and I am really glad that I drove through the area w/o ds in the car since we were planning to go there that day. Most of the time I have noticed that this is a limited event and you probably won't be subjected to it again, ime.

Beth

dcmom2b3
08-31-2009, 07:43 PM
I think it's awful (without regard to my opinion on abortion) but I *think* these activities have been the subject of extensive litigation in California, and their First Amendment rights were upheld. I think. Let me do some digging.

The group to which I presume the individual belongs targets schools, and the neighborhoods of doctors and nurses who work at clinics.
:32:

ETA: Yeah, I remembered right. The 9th Circuit ruled in their favor and the Supreme Court declined to review the case. I'd post links, but a quick google didn't turn up any mainstream sources that report the decision, and I don't want to link to outlier sites.

brittone2
08-31-2009, 07:43 PM
DH is a grad student at a large university (state run) and there was a huge "arts" display of enormous posters with aborted fetuses at different stages of development in the middle of campus last year. It was permitted.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
08-31-2009, 07:53 PM
I like to show them a little birdie I carry around in my hand, and yell a few four letter words, but that is just me. Oh, and without kiddos in the car/area.

Usually if you have the opportunity to speak to them, I ask if they have adopted. How they feel about welfare (since many aborted children would be on it), etc. Usually the ones talking about how adoption is an option, have never bothered to adopt themselves....
I wanted to put an "Now that I am here I believe in Abortion" onesie on DD, and go to PP when they protest, but DH thought it was a little much. I like to PO people some time, make me feel alive! :loveeyes:

infomama
08-31-2009, 08:02 PM
Pulling that guy over and giving him a traffic ticket will not make him go away...not a guy like that. I wouldn't lean to blaming this on your local cops..they can only do so much and if they guy isn't violating a law (is he trespassing on the school grounds?), they can't do anything.

I am just mortified by this post.....I hope he goes away.

shawnandangel
08-31-2009, 08:07 PM
It is funny, isn't it, that people who claim to want to uphold a standard that all life is sacred would intentionally traumatize children. For what? What good does it do? It doesn't.

This infuriates me! I can't imagine someone intentionally inflicting this pain onto my child. Your child did nothing wrong to receive this punishment. The driver of this vehicle is acting like a child. I'm sorry if some disagree with me, but those are images I would never intentionally let my child see until she were much older, and even in high school at age 14, she would not be old enough to witness such things.

sick. sick. sick.

There are just so many other things a person could do to support their stance on abortion. Foster a child, tutor children with learning disabilities, donate goods to an abused woman's shelter. These things, done quietly and with grace have far more impact on society than a stupid shock show.

C99
08-31-2009, 08:36 PM
I called the police after I saw someone doing it over a bridge in Chicago. Fortunately, you need a permit for such things in Chicago. :)

AnnieW625
08-31-2009, 10:06 PM
Those things make me soo mad. I was once in a Catholic mass where the priest was talking about abortion during the sermon with children present. It made me soo mad. I had been to a number of conservative Catholic churches in my life because that was the only thing that was near me but never once had a priest talked about abortion like that during mass. I had to have a medically necessary abortion at 24 weeks in April. I hate hate hate that I had to have it but my baby wasn't going to make it due to it's severe chromosome disorder and as much it pains me think about my little one that didn't make it I know it couldn't have lived past birth and that was one thing I didn't want to have to face. It probably would've put a hell of a lot more stress on my marriage, raising my healthy three year old, and my finances. We probably would've had to short sale our home to cover medical bills. I know it all sounds selfish, but until you are put in the exact same situation you'll never know how hard it is to make that choice. I do not want any flames for being honest. I am still for the most part pro life (except for rape or incest) for myself, and plan to stay that way for the remainder of my life; however protesters who fly photos of aborted babies or put bumper stickers on their cars that say "You can't be Catholic, and Pro-Choice" will always rub me the wrong way (did even before I had to make my choice).

infomama
08-31-2009, 10:10 PM
:hug: Annie...so sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine.

bubbaray
08-31-2009, 10:13 PM
Annie, I'm sorry for your loss. Hugs.

Clarity
08-31-2009, 10:28 PM
DH is a grad student at a large university (state run) and there was a huge "arts" display of enormous posters with aborted fetuses at different stages of development in the middle of campus last year. It was permitted.

We've had this at our State U as well. Generates lots of controversy, as does the man who drives around in the truck, like op mentioned. I don't think he should be driving around the h.s.'s though.

icunurse
08-31-2009, 10:36 PM
We have protestors near my work who drag around huge pics. Really smart - near the front of the entrance for the children's hospital! They say that they have the right to show even small children what happens when people do something to stop life. I would love to show them and their kids a picture of a guy who had his head blown open by a bullet or has their abdomen wide open because of a knife fight. Yet somehow that wouldn't be right.... Explain the logic to me?

infomama
08-31-2009, 10:48 PM
We have protestors near my work who drag around huge pics. Really smart - near the front of the entrance for the children's hospital! They say that they have the right to show even small children what happens when people do something to stop life.
OMG...that is SO messed up.

kijip
08-31-2009, 10:58 PM
I get that it is freedom of speech and reluctantly agree they can, but legally CAN and morally SHOULD are two different things IMO. Again and again I have seen places and heard of places with kids and teens targeted with these pictures. Regardless of the legality of it, morally to me that is an example of NOT respecting life and family and children by intentionally setting out to scare a child. As a parent, I think I have the right to not expose my young child to said images if I don't want too, and that right is taken away when people aim their approach at family/kid/school places. Also has the waving of such signs, especially in proximity to children, reduced the number of abortions? I doubt it. Pissing people off is not an effective marketing strategy.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
08-31-2009, 11:00 PM
:grouphug: to Annie. I cannot imagine...

Laurel
08-31-2009, 11:03 PM
:hug: Annie...so sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine.

I am so very sorry for your loss and I applaud you for sharing your story here.

JenChem
08-31-2009, 11:07 PM
We have a group every year at our State U with those signs. It's permitted. Generally a counter-rally is held and students bring sheets to hold up in front of the signs. That's what I'd do in the future if I had time to stop, help block the signs. It's just so sick.

mom2binsd
08-31-2009, 11:55 PM
I encountered one of these displays on my way home from having a D&E....DH was driving and we got stuck at a long light and there they were waving these signs. My first pregnancy ended at 19 weeks when an ultrasound showed that the baby had a sacralcoccygeal teratoma (baby had two tumors growing that didn't allow development of lower or upper body) and the pregnancy ended at 19 weeks)....it took all of DH's self control to not get out of the car!

BTW this was in San Diego.

Everyone has their choices, but for the sake of children and others, those pictures are over the top.

AnnieW625
09-01-2009, 12:23 AM
I am so very sorry for your loss and I applaud you for sharing your story here.

It wasn't easy, it took just over 4 mos. and the right post to share. I had posted that I had lost the baby before after I had been gone from this site for almost two months, but not so graphically I guess. Mom2binSD, you don't know how relieved I was when we arrived at the surgery center in West LA and there wasn't a single protester and the clinic was an unmarked building. My baby also had enlarged ventricles in the brain which along with the trisomy 18 were inhibiting how it was going to develop.

sorry for hijacking the OPs post, but thanks for all of the hugs

MamaKath
09-01-2009, 06:46 AM
They have people who carry huge billboards/posters (like 5-6 feet tall) in DC. We have always told our kids to turn around completely so they are not looking at it. I believe that once an image is in your brain, it is not removable. Which is what the person/people are counting on. It is a first amendment thing, the police (in most areas) will not pull the person in a vehicle over without other obvious cause. Shouldn't be around a school though!

MamaKath
09-01-2009, 06:48 AM
:hug: Annie, very sorry for your loss!

brittone2
09-01-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm so sorry Annie. I can't even imagine. :hug:

mom2binsd
09-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Annie, you made the decision you and your family needed to make, which is nobody else's business. I am so glad you didn't encounter those billboards as they do tend to be near clinics etc...am so sorry for your loss.

mommylamb
09-01-2009, 09:35 AM
It is funny, isn't it, that people who claim to want to uphold a standard that all life is sacred would intentionally traumatize children. For what? What good does it do? It doesn't.

This infuriates me! I can't imagine someone intentionally inflicting this pain onto my child. Your child did nothing wrong to receive this punishment. The driver of this vehicle is acting like a child. I'm sorry if some disagree with me, but those are images I would never intentionally let my child see until she were much older, and even in high school at age 14, she would not be old enough to witness such things.

sick. sick. sick.

There are just so many other things a person could do to support their stance on abortion. Foster a child, tutor children with learning disabilities, donate goods to an abused woman's shelter. These things, done quietly and with grace have far more impact on society than a stupid shock show.

:yeahthat:

And Annie, anyone who would flame you for that post is morally repugnant in my book. I'm sorry for your loss, but it sounds like you made the best decision based on the bad options you had.

arivecchi
09-01-2009, 10:50 AM

And Annie, anyone who would flame you for that post is morally repugnant in my book. I'm sorry for your loss, but it sounds like you made the best decision based on the bad options you had. A second :yeahthat:. So sorry you had to make such a difficult decision. Hugs. :hug:

AnnieW625
09-01-2009, 11:05 AM

And Annie, anyone who would flame you for that post is morally repugnant in my book. I'm sorry for your loss, but it sounds like you made the best decision based on the bad options you had.

I know, but you never quite know what kind of people you'll run into on public message boards.

Nooknookmom
09-03-2009, 05:27 PM
3rd :yeahthat:. I'm so sorry!

People are strange & I can't quite wrap my head around somethings that they do. The weirdo was at her school for 2 days and did not show up yesterday. The police DID send more cars over to patrol (after a huge parent reaction), so maybe he got the hint. I'm all for free speech, but c'mon dude, go voice your opinion where *adults* are, not minors.

My daughter said the saddest thing, "Mom, I'm not worried about me, but my baby sister was in the car and what if she saw it?".

My "baby" is 14 today, maybe this is all part of growing up. I don't want her to though!!!

codex57
09-03-2009, 05:48 PM
If your baby is 14 and that's the worst thing she's seen, congratulate yourself. And don't have a nervous breakdown when she goes off to college.

kijip
09-03-2009, 06:11 PM
If your baby is 14 and that's the worst thing she's seen, congratulate yourself. And don't have a nervous breakdown when she goes off to college.

I personally don't think this is fair to Trina and to Trina's concern. Being frustrated with this situation in no way implies that she is some sort of overprotective mother that will crack when her daughter leaves home for college.

dcmom2b3
09-03-2009, 06:23 PM
3rd :yeahthat:. I'm so sorry!

People are strange & I can't quite wrap my head around somethings that they do. The weirdo was at her school for 2 days and did not show up yesterday. The police DID send more cars over to patrol (after a huge parent reaction), so maybe he got the hint. I'm all for free speech, but c'mon dude, go voice your opinion where *adults* are, not minors.

My daughter said the saddest thing, "Mom, I'm not worried about me, but my baby sister was in the car and what if she saw it?".

My "baby" is 14 today, maybe this is all part of growing up. I don't want her to though!!!

Trina, I don't want mine to grow up either! :hug: But I must say, your 14 y.o. "baby" sounds like a sweet, compassionate young woman. Good for her, and kudos to you!

codex57
09-03-2009, 07:04 PM
I personally don't think this is fair to Trina and to Trina's concern. Being frustrated with this situation in no way implies that she is some sort of overprotective mother that will crack when her daughter leaves home for college.

What I really meant was that if she was able to keep her daughter from all the horrible stuff kids see in schools nowadays, she's done an awesome job as a parent and is incredibly lucky. I know teachers in areas where they get what I like to call combat pay. Kids grow up WAY too fast and see way too much adult stuff at a lot of schools now.

Snow mom
09-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Just saw this news story and thought of this thread.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/09/11/michigan.shooting/index.html