PDA

View Full Version : Blankets... sleep sacks???

SkyrMommy
08-31-2009, 09:08 PM
At the moment I have DD sleeping in fleece pjs with no blankets or she's in a onsie with a fleece sleep sack. DD is 4.5 months old and now prefers to sleep in all different positions. She may start out on her back and then end up on her side or her belly. I'm just petrified of SIDS with all the warnings and scary "don'ts" that you get told and I don't know if she'd get tangled in a blanket if we tucked her in with all the tossing and moving around she does.

But it's getting colder here in northern New York and we have a frost advisory tonight. The house is warm - usually high 60s at night, but I feel like if I'm curled up in my own bed under a feather comforter and quilt in my pjs... she's got to be cold...

What do you have in your little ones' cribs? What do they sleep in?

Melaine
08-31-2009, 09:15 PM
We used sleep sacks for the girls until we switched them to toddler beds a few months ago. LOVE THEM. They really helped with our bedtime routine, keeping them nice and snug, and giving me less to worry about with SIDS. We used Halo sacks until we found the nice ones that Mamabargains sometimes has. Someone help me out with the name....I'm drawing a blank.

MontrealMum
08-31-2009, 09:20 PM
I think Melaine is thinking of Grobags. :)

We started out with swaddles, and by 6 mos. or so we had switched DS over to sleep sacks. Started with Halo, but moved to Grobag because he's so tall. He's been using a blanket at daycare from 12 mos, so I tried to move him to that here at home w/no luck this past summer. It's really engrained in him that the bag is part of his bedtime routine. So, now he has a Grobag, "blankie" and teddy! We'll probably exert more effort to switch to covers when we start toilet training and he's out of the crib.

Melaine
08-31-2009, 09:26 PM

Thank you! At least now I won't be up all night trying to remember....:ROTFLMAO:

SkyrMommy
08-31-2009, 09:26 PM

We started out with swaddles, and by 6 mos. or so we had switched DS over to sleep sacks. Started with Halo, but moved to Grobag because he's so tall.

Grobags sound like something I'll need to check out... DD is already long according to the last Dr. visit. For now I have a few sleep sack/pjs from Carter's and some that my SIL made for us.

Should I have DD wear regular pjs instead of just a onsie and then the sleep sack over as it gets chillier?

Sigh... I think I'm just being overly worried/dense 'cause she's sleeping wicked comfortably (I just went to peek!:love5:)

LMPC
08-31-2009, 09:42 PM
you are a mom..."overly worried" is part of the job description ;)

Keep an eye out on Mamabargains for Grobags. They are awesome! They come in varying weights...so in NC in the summer, I use a 1 tog (that's the weight measurement) and a short-sleeved onesie for DD. This winter, I will move her to a 2.5 tog and a long-sleeved onesie. I remember those NY winters LOL -- you could always put her in footed pjs for added warmth.

SkyrMommy
09-01-2009, 07:23 AM
Keep an eye out on Mamabargains for Grobags. They are awesome!

Thanks I will :) And thank you for the reassurance that I'm not being too worried... DD is my first :heartbeat:... can 'ya tell?

HIU8
09-01-2009, 10:33 AM
I used halo sleepsacks for DS and DD. I would not put any type of a blanket in their crib so the sleepsack was a great alternative.

arivecchi
09-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Another Halo sleepsack user. We used them in fleece and cotton up to Xlarge and then moved up to the toddler ones.

kristabelle
09-02-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm jealous that you're getting cooler weather. Still in the 100s in Arizona, which has been difficult for us in a different way - we have to make sure our daughter doesn't get too hot.

I do use a small fleece blanket over my daughter's feet. I tuck it around her, and she's usually fine with it unless she kicks it off. She doesn't move around a lot, though.

RMessinger
11-04-2009, 10:35 AM
DS has been sleeping well through the night in the Halo Sleepsack Swaddler for newborns. He's now getting to big for it. We had tried the Swaddle Me initially, but got nervous when we saw it covering his mouth. I know Swaddle Me makes a bigger size, but I'm worried about it going over his mouth and face again. He seems to still (at 12 wks) have a startle reflex, so I need something to keep his arms down. Any suggestions?!

:waving4:

Snow mom
11-04-2009, 01:18 PM
DS has been sleeping well through the night in the Halo Sleepsack Swaddler for newborns. He's now getting to big for it. We had tried the Swaddle Me initially, but got nervous when we saw it covering his mouth. I know Swaddle Me makes a bigger size, but I'm worried about it going over his mouth and face again. He seems to still (at 12 wks) have a startle reflex, so I need something to keep his arms down. Any suggestions?!

:waving4:

Try the miracle blanket. It's like a baby straight jacket and there are pieces that tuck around under the arms before the outer swaddle so it can't ride up. It's a little tricky to use at first but well worth the learning curve. We used ours until about 7 1/2 months when it got too hot to swaddle DD.

lchang25000
11-07-2009, 12:54 AM
We keep our thermostat at 68 degrees at night and DS wears snug fitting long sleeve pjs with a Carter's fleece footed sleeper over it and no blanket.