PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Menu?

MontrealMum
09-01-2009, 12:17 AM
I used to work out a weekly menu, but have somehow gotten out of the habit. I guess the menu thing started because DH took over the shopping, and didn't have a clue, but now he knows what staples we need, and to look in the fridge, so I don't really do it anymore. I just tend to cook w/whatever ingredients we have. Also, sometimes I just get the urge for sushi, or Indian or whatever ;) But I just get tired of making decisions all the time too, and DH is no help whatsoever...as long as you put food in front of him, he eats it (generally!)

Anywhoo, does anyone do a weekly menu, and do you find that it really helps to save time? Do you have a list of recipes that you rotate, or do you check out new cookbooks/websites to add to your repertoire? TIA!

marie
09-01-2009, 09:37 AM
We TRY to do one but it doesn't always happen. It really helps because I *hate* it when it's 5 o'clock and we're wondering what to have for dinner. I also am trying to institute a "DH is responsible for planning/cooking dinner" night and having a plan helps for that, too.

So, generally we sit around the breakfast table on Sunday morning and make a plan for Sunday-Wednesday dinners. CSA pick up is on Wednesday and then those foods get integrated into a Thursday-Saturday dinner plan.

DD#1 gets to choose a meal a week (usually she requests fish, pizza, or tacos - aka "grabby night"). We have a number of go-to recipes but I try to incorporate one new recipe per week. We also try to use one "freezer pick" so we make sure we use up what has accumulated in the freezer (also allows for a quick prep meal).

i really like doing a plan - but I'm a planner by nature :)

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07

fivi2
09-01-2009, 09:45 AM
I also plan every Sunday and then do most of the shopping for the week. I used to plan about 6 weeks at a time (still shopped weekly). I liked it - it was a good rotation, lots of variety, but it fell apart at some point. With the weekly, I find I repeat more.
I also try to plan for leftovers and to have a few emergency meal ingredients on hand.

justincase
09-01-2009, 11:19 AM
CSA pickup is Tuesday so Tuesday night I make a menu plan based on what we got, and then shop on Wednesday. I only make about four or five nights worth of plans each week, because like you said, I like to suddenly order in or something comes up or someone invites us over. I do a rotation of favorite recipes but try to add at least one, maybe two, new recipes each week. I do find that it saves time and stress. I've always intended to do more weeks at a time but have never worked up to it.

MontrealMum
09-01-2009, 02:26 PM
DD#1 gets to choose a meal a week (usually she requests fish, pizza, or tacos - aka "grabby night").

I had to laugh at this :)

Sounds like this is working for all of you guys, so I'm going to make an effort to do it.

WatchingThemGrow
09-01-2009, 03:54 PM
I've traditionally failed at this. Starting NOW, circumstances dictate it must take place or we will not eat.

We've scored one bonus "new baby" meal from a friend tonight, but after that, I'm on my own. A week or two of frozen meals left, then I'm starting Once A Month Cooking (http://www.amazon.com/Once-Month-Cooking-Family-Favorites/dp/0312534043). Or at least I'm going to try it. While at Sam's today, I picked up their book of Family Favorites. When I just checked the reviews of it, I realized that TODAY is the release date of it. I've actually read through the first month. Looks GREAT!!!

jenny
09-01-2009, 09:47 PM
I just started doing a weekly menu because I noticed we were spending an awful lot of money eating takeout. I work full time so it's hard to come home and not have anything ready or any idea of what we're eating.

So I've been looking through the supermarket circulars on either Thursday-Friday-Saturday and go shopping on Saturday or Sunday and make a menu.

So far this is what I have planned:
Mon: sausage and peppers on hoagie rolls with potato salad
Tue: pasta with kielbasa and salad
Wed: Roast chicken with potatoes and veggies
Thu: Chicken enchiladas
Fri: Curry

MommyAllison
09-02-2009, 08:06 PM
We do. I usually sit down Wed morning with the new food ads and make my plan and list, hit the farmers market for produce and then the grocery store. I read a couple food blogs for inspiration, plus poke around here and on another board I'm on in their Food forum. Fridays are homemade pizza or grill burgers nights here, so that is one night planned easily! ;) I generally plan 5 dinners/week and it works out well for us - between leftovers and eating out/visiting friends and family, we sometimes get through 1.5-2 weeks before I need to shop again.

Most helpful to me has been checking the reduced meats every time I'm at the store and buying the cuts/pieces I know we frequently use, then tossing them in our stand alone freezer. We have enough meat for a month in the freezer at any given time.

KrisM
09-02-2009, 08:34 PM
I just started this last week and I like it so far. It is nice to know what is for dinner and not wonder what we'll have. It's helped in the grocery planning, too. It's also a way to make me make something new once a week or so.

hillview
09-02-2009, 08:59 PM
We do one. I get out the cookbooks on Sat or Sun. I try to plan somethings I know work and maybe 1-2 new things. I plan on fresher items first (eg fish). I also buy some things that aren't the menu -- premade pasta etc. Success is random. Some weeks it all gets made (rare). Some weeks most gets made but the other items are handy. Some weeks it gets blown up.

That said, it has made a BIG improvement in our dining lives.
/hillary

infomama
09-06-2009, 04:24 AM
Found a couple resources for menu planning:
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2009/03/meal-planning-with-crockpot.html
http://orgjunkie.com/menu-plan-monday