PDA

View Full Version : Weekly post - week of 8/31

LBW
09-01-2009, 07:18 AM
I'll start this week's weekly post!

My eating goal this week is to start South Beach. I have the book, just need to make a trip to the grocery store. I've been planning to start it for a while, but wanted to get our summer vacation out of the way first.

My activity goal is to run 3 miles, 3 times this week. I ran 2 miles last night during DS1's cross country practice. I'm planning on a 3-mile run tonight after DH gets home from work. I had been doing weight training at the Y, too, but my Y is closed this week, so I'll start that again next week.

Longer term goals: 5K race in a few weeks, start attending yoga class again, take spinning class, start swimming again -- I'll work on incorporating all of those in the coming months!

I've lost about 15 lbs in the last 3-4 months and want to lose another 10-15 this year.

kijip
09-01-2009, 12:49 PM
My plan for the week is to work on stop snacking after dinner and eat more protein.

I am feeling good about my weekly exercise routine and am up to comfortably:

3- 1 hour+ sessions at the gym with a trainer for 30 minutes of that and cardio for the rest (MWF)
7- 20 minutes of yoga every morning
2-3- Yoga Kids or Family Yoga DVDs with T
3- 1 hour walks with hr up (TThSa)
2- 2.8 mile family walks (with F strapped to my chest)+ doing the stairs at the adjacent bleachers (Su and 1 weeknight) Don't get my heart rate super up (T stops to look at every 4th leaf) except on the stairs, but it's still beneficial.
6- 15-20 minutes of ab/core work at home (everyday except Sunday)

All of my back pain is gone after this summer!

SnuggleBuggles
09-01-2009, 01:17 PM
I was thinking about trying the South Beach thing too! I wound up eating a bagel for lunch yesterday and realized that probably wasn't a good start. I have the book around here somewhere. I'm not sure I really want to do it b/c it goes against my basic food belief- everything in moderation. :) But, I am looking to drop some weight and I know it's often effective.

I made it to the gym yesterday and today. Monday I did 3.25 miles in 30 minutes. Not the fastest time in the world but I think it's pretty decent. I did it in speed intervals to keep from getting bored. Today I did 25 minutes on the treadmill and then did a good series of weight lifting.

Beth

lovebeingamom
09-01-2009, 02:10 PM
My plan is to reduce *starchy* carbs from my diet - I really don't want eliminate (that is when I seem to do the worst), increase veggies, definitely tons more water.

I have started the 30-Day Shred with Jillian Michaels (thanks to awesome suggestions from this board), I am also currently looking into purchasing YogaKids (thanks Katie :)), and I speed walk at least 4x/week while pushing a jogging stroller.

I really just think that by decreasing my caloric intake and increasing my exercise, that the weight should come right off. Am I too optimistic or just living in a fantsy world???

elizabethkott
09-01-2009, 03:19 PM
My plan for the week is to do Week 1 of the Body Sculpting Bible for Women 14 day work out. I did the weight training yesterday, and tried sooooooo hard to get up this morning to do the cardio before having to go to an orientation at school, but just couldn't do it. So now that I'm home and DS is napping, I've got to go do it!
I'm also committing to tracking my eating at myfitnesspal.com, upping my protein and decreasing my carbs. :) Oh, and more water, more water, more water!

LarsMal
09-01-2009, 03:58 PM
My goal this week is to decrease my sugar intake. I don't drink caffeine, so when I hit my wall around 3PM I always end up reaching for something sugary (and not healthy!).

I'm still trying to get back into exercising so I am going pretty slow right now. My goal this week is to work out 4 times. I am loving Exercise TV so I will probably do some pilates, yoga, and Jillian Michaels Shred 1. I hope to get over to the gym in our complex and hit the treadmill and/or elliptical a few times, too. It all just depends on when DH gets home.

I'm trying to just get up and MOVE more! Oh...and my brother's friend, who recenlty lost 78 pounds, told me he did it by eliminating all "white stuff" from his diet and drinking half his weight in ounces of water/day. I'm trying to cut back on the whites and drink my ounces of water. I've been peeing so much I feel like I'm pregnant again!

SnuggleBuggles
09-01-2009, 04:03 PM
. I've been peeing so much I feel like I'm pregnant again!

When I did the boot camp this summer they had us drinking 96oz of water/ day and I just couldn't do it! I couldn't have a life outside of the home if I drank that much! I was in the bathroom constantly. Needless to say, I did not drink that much water.

Beth

LBW
09-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Oh yeah, water! I need to drink more. I know I'm dehydrated most of the time. My drink of choice is hot tea - not the best way to stay hydrated!

kijip
09-01-2009, 11:57 PM
I was thinking about trying the South Beach thing too!

Increasing protein and replacing starchy carbs with vegetable carbs does have good, often fast results. I hope you like it.

I have started the 30-Day Shred with Jillian Michaels (thanks to awesome suggestions from this board), I am also currently looking into purchasing YogaKids (thanks Katie :)), and I speed walk at least 4x/week while pushing a jogging stroller.

Glad to to be useful. :tongue5: It's a lot of fun and I feel good about getting the fitness habit ingrained in T from a young age.

I'm also committing to tracking my eating at myfitnesspal.com, upping my protein and decreasing my carbs. :) Oh, and more water, more water, more water!

Do you like myfitnesspal? I am not liking the other food journal sites I have tried and I need to keep a food journal for my personal training program.

My goal this week is to decrease my sugar intake. I don't drink caffeine, so when I hit my wall around 3PM I always end up reaching for something sugary (and not healthy!).

Me too! I have found that cheese and nuts are good substitutes.

elizabethkott
09-02-2009, 08:31 AM
I really like myfitnesspal. One of the great features about it is that when you "check out" at the end of the day, it tells you "If every day were like today, you'll weigh XXX in 5 weeks." I find that to be a really great motivator.
I only wish they had an app for the iPhone!!!

kijip
09-03-2009, 02:57 AM
I really like myfitnesspal. One of the great features about it is that when you "check out" at the end of the day, it tells you "If every day were like today, you'll weigh XXX in 5 weeks." I find that to be a really great motivator.
I only wish they had an app for the iPhone!!!

Thanks, I tried it and I like it better than the others. I was getting tired of typing in "eggs" and getting 117 branded, packaged food results on the list before "scrambled". This site seems to list the simplest things first when you search. Makes it way easier to use and it seems easy to add a personal recipe etc.

lovebeingamom
09-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Being Thursday ... how is everyone doing so far this week with your goals?!?!
Keep up the good work ladies!!!

kijip
09-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Being Thursday ... how is everyone doing so far this week with your goals?!?!
Keep up the good work ladies!!!

Eating more protein- CHECK.
Stop snacking on empty calories after dinner- ha ha ha. :ROTFLMAO: I need to figure this out. It's just a bad habit. I do it when I am not even hungry.

Doing well with the work out routine. Excited that the program I am doing is becoming a permanent benefit at my husband's work, otherwise I would be on my own in a couple of months and while I am not flush enough to afford a personal trainer 3 times a week on my own, I really really enjoy seeing one that often! And it includes a nutritionist and a counselor. Awesome benefit.

SnuggleBuggles
09-04-2009, 08:48 AM
Playdate Wed. so I slacked on the gym. Yesterday was too gorgeous to go to the gym but we walked to the playground, 1 mile each way, up hill the whole way home, pushing the stroller.

Still haven't dusted off the SB Diet book. Eating is going so so. I have been doing pretty well calorie wise but not quality wise.

Thanks for this thread. I am feeling overwhelmed with my to-do list today and was thinking of skipping the gym. But, now I really want to go and lift weights.

Beth

LBW
09-04-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm making my grocery list right now. I think I'll officially start SB with lunch today. I have lots of veggies in the house since our CSA pick up was last night. I'm vowing NOT to bake anything this weekend (including the super delicious artisan bread in 5 min recipe that I discovered last weekend!) so that should help a lot.

I've run twice this week on a cross country path. I think it's about 2 miles (so not the 3 I was shooting for), but the path is very hilly, so in my mind that makes up for the shorter distance.

I'm still not drinking enough water. Need to work on that.

My Y opens again next week, so I'll be able to get back into my weight training routine. Katie, I'm super jealous that you get to see a trainer through your health insurance. I splurged on a hour of training when I started with weight since I knew I'd hurt myself otherwise. It was great, but $45! So, I can't see him very often.

elephantmeg
09-04-2009, 06:06 PM
well no gym this week, I've been sick, the kids have been sick. But I think I've lost. I'll weigh tomorrow and see....

willow33
09-04-2009, 07:37 PM
I'd love to join you too!! I had my 3rd baby in April and I'm trying really hard to lose the last of my pregnancy weight. I need to lose 10lbs to get back to pre-pg, but ideally would like to lose 15lbs.

My dh and I have been doing a 3 month exercise program (Chalean Extreme) and are in week 6 right now. It's a combo of strength training and cardio using DVDs. We add in our own cardio too on our rest days or weight only days. I definitely feel stronger and notice changes, but the weight is still slow to come off.

I look forward to checking in each week and help motivate and be motivated!!

kijip
09-05-2009, 01:29 AM
well no gym this week, I've been sick, the kids have been sick.

I hope you all get to feeling better soon. :hug:

kijip
09-05-2009, 01:36 AM
Katie, I'm super jealous that you get to see a trainer through your health insurance. I splurged on a hour of training when I started with weight since I knew I'd hurt myself otherwise. It was great, but $45! So, I can't see him very often.

It's not technically part of our Premera plan, I think it is either a separate stand alone benefit offered by my husband's employer contracting directly with the service provider or it is something the hospital specifically adds to our Premera plan...it's not in the coverage book, but there is a whole supplemental form on it from his work. I love it because the whole plan costs thousands and thousands of dollars and my "co-pay" is small for the entire 6 months. And then I can do it again by paying another co-pay. It's a huge luxury but I pay very little for it, considering that it's not just a trainer but also a gym membership, nutritionist etc. He was offered another job by his former professor and I told him "NO WAY". I want me my fitness program. :p

elephantmeg
09-07-2009, 11:12 PM
ugh. No loss. Maybe a little gain and this will be a hard week to weigh since I'm working nights every other night (argh-who came up with this plan?). But since I had to crisis clean for company this evening I WILL go to the gym tomorrow, wed and hopefully thurs since I think I'll be babysitting for a friend Friday...