PDA

View Full Version : Any advice for mom whose oldest is going to Kindergarten?

liz
09-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Hi- I am feeling a little sad that my oldest is starting Kindergarten tomorrow. Of course, he is totally excited, can't wait to ride the bus, meet the new kids and teacher.....which is all the things I am worried about. He has been to pre-K for the last 2 years and seems totally ready for Kindergarten. The problem is me. I don't know if I'm ready! Any advice for me?

jess_g
09-01-2009, 10:51 AM
I know exactly what you mean. My youngest starts Kindergarten next week and I am totaly not ready for it. He went to pre school but only 2 mornings per week. Going to school 5 days a week is going to be a real change for him and for me. My only advice is not to worry. Your son will do fine and in a few days he will be used to the bus and the kids and the school.

Jessica.

gatorsmom
09-01-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm in the same boat. Gator starts Kindergarten next week. I'm having a litle bit of a hard time too. But I'm just focusing on feeling happy and excited for him (and trying to think less about my own feelings). And giving lots of hugs!

Karenn
09-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Get to know the other moms and the other kids. It helps to have friends to worry & be sad with. I was a mess last year and that totally caught me off guard. Today was our first day of first grade and I'm handling it much better.

Also, do you have any friends you could set up a coffee date with after you drop off your son? It's nice to have something to take your mind off things, especially on that first day.

liz
09-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the replies. My DH and I took a vacation week so we would both be home during Jack's 1st week of school- so at least I have him to share this with. At our Kindergarten, parents go with their child the 1st day to do a project with their new teacher and learn about rules etc and the school bus routine (in which a parent gets to ride the bus with the child). Only problem is, I am hugely pregnant, and am not sure about having to sit on those tiny chairs, LOL! I am not sure if 2 parents can go (is that too much?), but in a way, I would like to know the other parents...plus I am worried that DH will forget to tell me something important that he learned, being a guy and all. I suppose I will have to call the school to find out if we both can go. Ohhh, it's so hard watching them grow up!

JBaxter
09-01-2009, 03:53 PM
My advice is put them on the bus or drop them off put on you best happiest mommy smile. Wave bye to them take your pictures when they are out of sight bawl your eyes out have some coffee and sit and think about their first smile, step, word. They are still your baby and always will be but be proud they are making the next step in life.

My oldest "baby" is a senior and I still remember his little smile as he went off to school. He still gives me a kiss as he walks out the door to go to school each day but HE gets in a car and drives himself.

There is some emotion thats a mix of joy sadness pride and terror :)

amyd
09-01-2009, 04:39 PM
OY, in tears just reading this. My oldest starts K Tue.

infomama
09-01-2009, 05:09 PM
My advice is put them on the bus or drop them off put on you best happiest mommy smile. Wave bye to them take your pictures when they are out of sight bawl your eyes out have some coffee and sit and think about their first smile, step, word. They are still your baby and always will be but be proud they are making the next step in life.

This was last week for us. Dh, Dd2 my mom, my MIL and I were all standing at the end of the drive like Dd1's entourage. We too 100 pictures between the three of us. The minute the bus crested the hill, we lost it. It was really hard but...well, I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

kochh2
09-01-2009, 05:15 PM
joining the kindy mamas tribe here :) DS, our oldest, starts kindy next week. we just got his teacher list, and are a bit disappointed that none of the tight group of friends (4-5 kids ) stayed together after UPK. i get teary just thinkng about it... although that day will be bittersweet, as i will also be starting my last 4 mos of chemo that day :( at least i'll be home already with him to see him off!!! DH will think i'm crazy to cry, but i know i will!!! Make sure the camera is charged that day!!

niccig
09-01-2009, 06:29 PM
DS is starting pre-K, but it's at an elementary school and where he will probably be going for K and up. It's a new school for us and he's going 5 days, so I have the same feelings as you do. DH keeps telling me that if he had done pre-K at his preschool, it would have been 5 days as well and I wasn't worried about that. He doesn't get that this is different, it's all new for him and me. And because it's where his K is, I won't be worried about him moving into that class when the time comes.

I don't know what I'm gong to do with myself next week. I remember feeling the same when he started preschool. It took a couple of weeks to adjust.