PDA

View Full Version : S/O on the bathroom thread...what to do if DD has to go when out with DH?

alien_host
09-01-2009, 09:59 AM
So the other thread has me thinking, DD is 4. She sometimes goes on errands with DH and what do they do if she has to use the bathroom? DH and I talked about it and he is uncomfortable taking her into the men's room. I think b/c there might be men using the urinal and he doesn't want to have to explain it. Does he just have to get past that and take her in and use the stall? DD is very vocal and I can see her making comments to others in the bathroom, especially if it is something she hasn't really seen before.

She is too young to use the ladies room unsupervised (needs help with getting on the toilet - and not falling in) and washing hands (can't reach the soap).

So far DH chances it and takes her for a few hours and she pees at home first.

I wonder what others do.

roobee
09-01-2009, 10:07 AM
DD just goes to the Men's room with DH. Even if we're together as a family DH will bring her. The exception was this weekend at the State Fair - some bathrooms are just too icky (the ladies rooms were nice enough though).

misshollygolightly
09-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Some places (the mall, nicer grocery stores, maybe even Target) have those family bathrooms, which are a great solution to this problem! Unfortunately, these aren't as common as they should be, but you might be surprised how many places do have them. It might be worth coming up with a list of family bathrooms in shopping areas your DH frequents--then, when he's out with DD and she has to go, maybe he can head to one of them.

sunriseiz
09-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Some places (the mall, nicer grocery stores, maybe even Target) have those family bathrooms, which are a great solution to this problem! Unfortunately, these aren't as common as they should be, but you might be surprised how many places do have them. It might be worth coming up with a list of family bathrooms in shopping areas your DH frequents--then, when he's out with DD and she has to go, maybe he can head to one of them.

I have been surprised at how many places have these now. They are not always labeled "family" here, but male/female sometimes. Walmart, Target, the mall, and a few other places I can't think of right now have them where we are. Otherwise, at that age, it was the men's room. DD is almost 6 now and DH will let her go in the ladies room by herself and wait outside.

TwinFoxes
09-01-2009, 11:11 AM

This is the first thing I thought too. And they seem to be all over, a lot of stores use them to be ADA compliant (they're nice and big.) Like a PP said, they're not always labeled "family bathroom." I would have DH look for these.

alien_host
09-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Good call on the Family Bathrooms, I conveniently forgot about that. I use those at Target b/c they are nice and big.

DH usually is at Home Depot/Lowes with her, I wonder if they have those there.

lilycat88
09-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Starbucks are pretty much always around wherever DH would have DD alone. If he can't find a family bathroom quickly, he'll pack her up and head to Starbucks. They can always be counted on around here to have a "single" bathroom for men and women. At 5, though, he will still take her into the mens bathroom at some places and he'll peek in to see if it's really busy.

AnnieW625
09-01-2009, 11:53 AM
DH just takes DD to the mens room; it doesn't bother her or him, however most times when they are out it's been in the store, cburch, or the YMCA so I don't believe there are urinals in any of those places.

bnme
09-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Well, I only have boys but I know DH has mentioned seeing dads with girls in the mens room. I guess you do what you have to do.

Funny story, my 5 and 6 year olds pull their pants down to their ankles to pee -even at the urinal. Dh is trying to teach them not to but they don't quite get it. They were in the bowling alley mens room with their drawers fully dropped and a dad came in with 2 girls. DH thought it was good argument that the boys are better off with me in the ladies room. I think not.....

MommyofAmaya
09-01-2009, 02:04 PM
DH will try to take DD into the men's rr. If it is unsanitary, he has no problem camping out at the women's bathroom door and taking her in after he has determined it is empty. If somebody walks in he apologizes and leaves as soon as possible.

DebbieJ
09-01-2009, 02:10 PM
He needs to get over it and take her into the men's room. Or, find the Family restroom. More and more stores have these now.

brittone2
09-01-2009, 02:14 PM
DH would just take DD. She'll be 3 in Dec and he still takes her (sometimes w/ DS as well as she wants to go with them for whatever reason). At 4, IMO if she had to go, he'd just take her in the men's room if he couldn't find a family bathroom.

DrSally
09-01-2009, 09:19 PM
I would have DH take her into the mens room if he can't find a family restroom.