PDA

View Full Version : T has wet his pants 4 times this summer

kijip
09-01-2009, 05:27 PM
What do I make of this? He has had more accidents since June than he had in the previous 3 and 1/2 years of fully toilet trained bliss. He has been diaper free since he was just past 2 and 1/2 (both day and night, no nighttime pull up). The first time was at my mother's funeral, just before the service. The other 2 were also out of the house and today, it was at daycamp (they called to let me know and figure out what to do).

Honestly my first thought was thank goodness it was daycamp and not school next week so kids don't tease him all year. I wet my pants a lot as a child until I had surgery on my bladder at age 7 but that was a medical condition and if he had that, then this would be an issue more than 4 times in a summer, believe me (try 4 times a week- my bladder wall was excessively thick and strong and I felt no sensation that I had a full bladder until I had to pee right that second- imagine your first warning being what you feel like after holding it for the next rest stop when, against your better judgement you did not stop at the last one).

Do I chalk it up to stress? While we are in grief, we have had a nice summer with fun family time and activities and as awful as this sounds life is much more "typical" now that mom is deceased because we are not spending all of our time possible on her care. So we are back to dinner on the table, family time, more time with parents etc.

Tips for avoiding this in the future? It's not often enough to warrant pull-ups but I am a little worried about it happening at school and being an issue with his peers. Kids are mean sometimes!

T was definitely embarrassed by it but opted to take the new pants instead of the ride home, so he is staying out the day at camp.

Laurel
09-01-2009, 05:35 PM
My hunch is something stress-related. I won't speculate since I don't know what might have him stressed right now, but it might be worth a conversation.

I'd avoid the pull-ups, but make sure he always has a change of clothes and some wet wipes with him. He may also be avoiding non-familiar restrooms for whatever reason. Hope this passes quickly!

thomma
09-01-2009, 05:44 PM
It could be stress related or he could be waiting too long to go to the bathroom which is what my ds does. He had several accidents in K because he waited too long to use the bathroom and/or didn't want to go to the bathroom. I know he's afraid of the first grade bathroom so the next few weeks will be interesting. I

good luck-
Kim
ds&dd-6!

kayte
09-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Is he going though a growth spurt?

My nephew (aged 6 1/2) has had some similar issues. After talking with their pediatrician they found a pattern with growth spurts-- that some parts grow quicker than others and it changes their ability to hold it or even feel the right sensation.

I would make sure he has access to clothes and a wet bag without needing a teacher to get it for him, so should it happen at school he can take care of it himself (without alerting other children). (Plus you might to go over a quick lesson on how to clean yourself in a school bathroom).

deannanb
09-01-2009, 05:53 PM
I bet he was so involved with what he was doing that he didn't want to stop to go to the bathroom. Mention to the teacher to make sure he goes to the bathroom on a more regular basis.

HannaAddict
09-01-2009, 06:42 PM
I would check and make sure he doesn't have a bladder infection. My guy wet his pants right when I was picking him up from sports camp last summer, after two years of no accidents. He seemed to be needing to go more at home, didn't drink any of his water the whole week at camp (there were no easy to reach bathrooms) and all of this contributed to his only bladder infection. On a hunch (no fever, wasn't complaining it hurt), I stopped and got a sterile urine sample cup from the ped (he is blocks from our house) and we dropped the sample off at the same time as our visit and that was the problem. If not that, then I would think stress. These little ones internalize more than we know, especially a child as smart and tuned in as T. I hope things are better and this doesn't follow him to school.

sadie427
09-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Katie, I wouldn't make too much of it. It sounds like he potty trained fast and had remarkably few accidents until now. DS1 is around the same age, I believe, and suddenly had an accident at day camp after not having any for a while--I think it's just going to a new place that can make it harder to make their needs known. I was worried about kids making fun of him, but it didn't seem to happen. You could send extra pants to school at the bottom of his backpack if you are worried--I did that in Kindergarten for DS1.

kijip
09-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Katie, I wouldn't make too much of it. It sounds like he potty trained fast and had remarkably few accidents until now. DS1 is around the same age, I believe, and suddenly had an accident at day camp after not having any for a while--I think it's just going to a new place that can make it harder to make their needs known. I was worried about kids making fun of him, but it didn't seem to happen. You could send extra pants to school at the bottom of his backpack if you are worried--I did that in Kindergarten for DS1.

Thanks, I sent clean underpants, jeans and a wet bag rolled up at the bottom of his backpack to day camp this morning. I think I will do the same for 1st grade (starts next week! Ack!!!)

When I talked to him more it came out that he did not go before lunch when they took the kids to the restroom to potty and wash hands(he just washed his hands) and then while outside eating lunch he said he needed to go and they asked him to wait 2 minutes because everyone was still outside and he lost it after about 2 minutes. I told him to try and go, even when it does not feel necessary whenever they make a time for it and then to feel free to say, "I'm sorry, I can't wait" if he really needs it right then.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and insights. :wink2:

Corie
09-02-2009, 01:24 PM
I told him to try and go, even when it does not feel necessary whenever they make a time for it and then to feel free to say, "I'm sorry, I can't wait" if he really needs it right then.

This is exactly what I tell my kids!!

1. Always TRY to go potty on bathroom breaks.

2. If you ever have to go potty really really bad or if you are going to vomit, then
run for the bathroom & don't wait!

kransden
09-02-2009, 01:27 PM
This is exactly what I tell my kids!!

1. Always TRY to go potty on bathroom breaks.

2. If you ever have to go potty really really bad or if you are going to vomit, then
run for the bathroom & don't wait!

:yeahthat: