PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on lice!

Cam&Clay
09-01-2009, 08:11 PM
I went back to work this week (school librarian) so DS1 went to my ex's parents (his grandparents) for the week because school actually starts next week. She just called to say she took him to get a haircut and he has lice. Again. Badly.

This is no less than the fourth time in 10 months. I am at a loss. We treat and comb and treat and treat and can't seem to get rid of them. She is convinced that we've never gotten rid of them in the first place and that he's not just getting them over and over.

Any suggestions? Have any of you done any alternative treatments that worked? Is there something stronger out there?

HELP! I'm tired of being embarassed...especially in front of the ex-in-laws.:sulkoff:

SnuggleBuggles
09-01-2009, 08:13 PM
I haven't btdt but I read somewhere (probably here!) that lice won't hang out if there is hair product in the hair. A spritz of hairspray or such might help.

Beth

infomama
09-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Haven't BTDT but I would try this place (they have mail order)
http://www.hairfairies.com/salon/

swrc00
09-01-2009, 08:21 PM
I am teacher and last year we had a breakout. One student continuously kept getting them. Her mother said that she was finally able to get rid of them by shampooing with Cetaphil.

Here is an article: http://blogs.webmd.com/healthy-children/2006/02/got-lice.html

Hang in there mama!!!

jren
09-01-2009, 08:23 PM
We use a natural product that's supposed to repel lice, but I think it's basically hairspray with some herbs. Got it at Doolittles (not sure if they'll have info on a website for it), it's Fairy something. I'll try to get the name to you...

neeleymartin
09-01-2009, 08:26 PM
also teach. a gal at the natural store told me that lice hate lavender. she recommended spraying the closet with all the kids stuff a couple times a day with a mixture of mostly water (1-2cups or so) with 10-20 drops of lavender oil.

it seems to help keep the lice away. couldn't hurt to do the same in your house, esp. near bedding. the worst that could happen is nothing + fresh smelling home. hth.

jren
09-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Found a link to what we use.

http://www.fairytaleshaircare.com/

eb1
09-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Could you be dealing with "super lice"? Here's one link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26627227/

graciebellesmomma
09-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Supposedly the lice hate coconut scent. My daughter had it. We did the treatment. It came back. We did the treatment and started using Coconut Suave and it's never reared it's UGLY heads again. It just creeps me out so darn much. We're sure she got it at the ice skating rink from using the rink's helmets. GROSS!

MamaMolly
09-01-2009, 09:55 PM
First :grouphug: Lice suck.

Remember that you don't just treat the kid, you also have to treat the kid's stuff. That means sheets and pillow cases, blankets and soft toys, really anything in the bed. And hats, car seats (even just the headrest a regular one if that is where he regularly sits since he's older), jackets, sports gear with helmets, you name it. I'd also throw out his brushes and combs and start over.

I'd probably wash what ever I could in the washer on HOT and add vinegar to the rinse, then dry on hot too. I'd get one of those natural sprays for the hard surfaces.

You can also buy a battery operated lice comb that will zap them as you go through his hair. I think they are available at www.drugstore.com but I haven't looked in a while. They really work and are chemical free.

I used to teach and I remember one girl who had lice over and over. Her mom was shocked when I asked if she'd washed the bedding, treated the car, etc. Looked at me like I'd lost her mind. But when we brainstormed every place that her DD went that cold have possibly come into contact with her head, her mom treated it and got rid of them at last.

Also, remember to alert DS's school. They should keep it confidential, but if he's got them then it is likely there is someone else in the class does too, and could be a carrier needing treatment.

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this! Good luck!

JustMe
09-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Unfortunately, I feel like I know way too much about lice. For me, the most important thing I learned is to keep checking about 3-4 weeks past the time I see anything in dd's hair. They just love her hair and, although this doesnt make sense based upon what I know about their life cycle, I would find 1-2 eggs every once in a while after not seeing any for an entire week. I also recommend using the licemeister comb, this really gets out the actual bugs...also treat with olive oil overnight or at least for several hours at least 1x/week or as often as you feel you can when you know dc has lice.

As far as house cleaning, I learned that the most important thing is bedding. I put all bedding in the dryer for 20 min in the morning and didnt do a whole lot. We just sat on our kitchen chairs for a long while and didnt sit on the couch and I did not vacuum anymore often than usual...the best advice I can give is keep on top of everyone's heads and dont assume they are gone too early...not saying your dc's weren't gone, but that is my experience.

nov04
09-01-2009, 11:05 PM
A student in dd1's j/k class kept getting it. We got the fairytales haircare and didn't get them. Not sure if it was just luck or it really worked, but I'm not tempting fate. I'll either reorder or I'll get some coconut scented stuff.

ltmommy
09-02-2009, 05:53 PM
I also feel like I know too much, after DD got it this summer at camp. I tried the store-brand version of Rid or whatever, and also the Cetaphil a day or two later, figuring it couldn't hurt (it actually seemed to condition the dried out hair). It seemed to do the trick. We did the first set of treatments, and then a second set 7 - 10 days later - I did see the eggs had hatched right before the second treatment, despite the shampoo and combing with a metal comb, but the second treatments killed these before they could mature and lay eggs.

Kestrel
09-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Low tech...

My neighbors had real problems last spring with her 7 & 8 1/2 year old boys. Finally, she shaved off all of their hair!

ShayleighCarsensMom
09-02-2009, 06:18 PM
I have heard that tee tree oil will repell head lice. People mix a spray bottle full of water with 10-15 drops of TTO and it will keep lice away.
If you google tea tree oil and lice, you'll come up with lots of great solutions.
Sorry mama!