PDA

View Full Version : What are your absolute favorite scents?

infomama
09-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Mine are (in no order)

sweet newborn baby's breath/skin (OK...that may be my topper)
sagebrush (reminds me of Montana)
wood burning fire in the cool night air
pine in the winter (ever hiked out and cut down your own Christmas tree?)
a clean horse barn (with a hint of leather and sweet hay)
fresh cut grass (an old standby)
line dried sheets
stargazer lilies (love the sweet/spicy notes)
vanilla

my favorite perfume these days is Hanae Mori http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P0974

pinkmomagain
09-01-2009, 09:37 PM
cilantro is #1 by far! It makes me nuts.
Lilacs
Baking chocolate cookies
pine
honeysuckle

I'm sure there is more. But that's what I can think of right now. (BTW, for some reason I can't stand the smell of lilies!)

infomama
09-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Oh..honeysuckle is divine. We had a bush outside my childhood home...wonderful memories.

justincase
09-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Mine are a lot the same as the OP:

what I've always called "baby head smell" -- even before DC's of my own!
wood burning fire
real pine
fresh ocean air
peonies -- the day when all the peonies up and down the street bloom and you can smell it as soon as you step out of the house

This thread made me laugh because today at CSA pickup DS was loving the parsley smell! He kept going back to the table where the big stack of parsley was and *inhaling* deeply. "What is the real name of this spice? [He calls herbs "spice".] I love de smell of dis parsley so much, Mommy. I love every bit of de parsley on dis whole. entire. farm."

DietCokeLover
09-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Gardenia
Vanilla
newborn baby smell
wood burning fireplace

infomama
09-01-2009, 09:53 PM
I love de smell of dis parsley so much, Mommy. I love every bit of de parsley on dis whole. entire. farm."
:ROTFLMAO:cuteness!

MamaMolly
09-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Bergamot has to be my #1 smell. Like in Earl Grey tea. Seriously, when I'm getting sick or have a fever I drink hot EG tea and get well. It resets my batteries. I know I'm super sick when it doesn't work. (like that time I had walking pneumonia...)

DD's washed hair. Any flavor shampoo. Nummy!

Rosemary

Lemon geraniums. I had some (tons) lining the walk to my house the first time we moved overseas. I'd walk along and pull off a leaf and crush it. Same with lavender. Had those potted outside my garage and front door so when I left the house or came back a sweet smell greeted me. Just brushing by the plant would release the scent.

Baking bread. Sometimes we used to drive near a Wonder Bread factory when I was growing up. It was in the worst neighborhood and we'd BEG my mom to let us roll down the windows so we could smell the bread better.

DH loves Downy. :ROTFLMAO: He never, ever in 10 years of marriage comments on any perfume I wear, but when I spray myself with Downy Wrinkle Releaser he snuggles up for a big hug and tells me I smell great! He's a nut.

eta: WFIW stargazer lilies' scent is the only thing that triggers an asthma attack for me. Weird but true. I love the way they look, but can't be in the room with them. Even if I don't see them I wheeze. My sister had to pluck them off my wedding cake for me! And another funny aside, DD's baby breath was kinda gross. Refluxy breastmilk. Eeeew.

MontrealMum
09-01-2009, 10:05 PM
-baby head smell (I don't know a better name for that, either!)
-Lake Michigan (yes, it has a smell)
-lilacs
-peonies
-irisis
-stew when it's cooking
-almond
-verbena
-all the whiffs of scent you get while walking through the market
-rain
-dirt
...what can I say, I love to garden.

ourbabygirl
09-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Ooooohhh... I love this thread topic, as I'm a scent-a-holic!

I'd say flowers, fruits, and other foods top my list.

*Fresh-baked cinnamon rolls and banana bread
Anything fall-ish:
*apples, pumpkin pie, cinnamon, bonfires, crisp September air
*fabric softener
*lilacs, roses, gardenia, freesia (not a lily-lover either though, sorry!)
*my husband's cologne (Aqua di Gio) & my perfume (destination by Ann Taylor- I'm really bummed they don't make it anymore!)
*the right VANILLA and the right LAVENDER- I love the stuff in the indigo blue bottle at Bath & Body Works
*freshly cut grass

..that's all I can think of right now. :)

slworld
09-01-2009, 10:24 PM
just pure LAVENDER - ahhhh

pinkmomagain
09-02-2009, 07:13 AM
eta: WFIW stargazer lilies' scent is the only thing that triggers an asthma attack for me. Weird but true. I love the way they look, but can't be in the room with them. Even if I don't see them I wheeze. My sister had to pluck them off my wedding cake for me!

Funny you should mention this. My dislike for lillies led me to ban them from my wedding. I gave explicit instructions to the florist. Well, I walked into the wedding hall and what was in all the arrangements? Yup. My family was frantically pulling the lillies from all the centerpieces. I even have a picture of my grandfather holding a bouquet of unwanted lillies on my wedding day.

Corie
09-02-2009, 08:54 AM
One of my favorites scents of all time is:

Paper

*Even better, I love the smell of the paper from library books. I could
sniff those books all day.