PDA

View Full Version : Long: How to help DS prep for going back to preschool

hillview
09-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Some of you may remember that my DS had a really rough time transitioning to his first year of preschool. He is in a montessori program. He is going back to his class (same teachers, some new kids). Last fall/winter he cried virtually EVERY day -- sometimes drop off would be fine but then he'd cry for an hour later on. It was BAD. He simply didn't want to go. The kids started to call him a cry baby -- the teacher did handle this well but I am concerned. I spoke with a child psych last year and we agreed he should stay. The teachers were GREAT -- took lots of time with him etc. By maybe March/April he settled in. UGG.

So next week DS goes back. He turned 4 this summer. I have been talking up how fun it will be. We also talked at a different time about what I do when I am sad and he talked about when he has been sad. We talked about it being ok to be sad and what might help the sadness feel better etc.

I am personally STRESSED about this. DH will be away for DS's first 2 days of school (DISASTER).

DS is pretty attached to me (in a good way). He is fine with DH, a babysitter and my parents. But given a choice, he usually wants to be with me. I work full time / travel for work and he seems well adjusted minus the school situation. He hasn't had other examples of being away from us in programs going well. Soccer camp this summer didn't go well. It was at his school and the director agreed he shouldn't stay (it was MLS program and the instructors weren't well equipt to deal with kids who weren't excited to be there).

Any helpful tips are appreciated.

Sorry to long!

TIA!
/hillary

tmarie
09-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Have you thought about a play date with someone from school? That ds can look forward to going in to play with? Playdates and forming friendships outside of school definitely increased our dd's desire to go to school and strengthened her connection to her 'buddies.'

Coincidentally, I was just about to post about a similar situation! Dd#1 just started going back to preschool after being off for the summer. She is having trouble making friends and seems shy and a little sad---not the norm for her. She is going back to the same school but they placed her in a higher level class with children who are about 6 months older--the result is that she only sees all of her old friends on the playground. The teachers are WONDERFUL and really trying to help. They have suggested that I orchestrate a play date with one of the girls in dd's class. It is on my to do list for hopefully next week.

I hope everything goes better than you expect. Good luck!!

tmarie
dd#1 '05
dd#2 '08