PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your kids' old shoes?

JMS
09-02-2009, 09:52 AM
We just bought all our new school shoes and sneakers, so I'm sorting through all the old ones. Some are in better shape than others... what do you do with them, trash, donate, etc? IMO, none are sellable.

HIU8
09-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Our local ma and pa shoe store does a thing where you can give them your children's old shoes and they will donate them to a local charity. I either do that or give them to goodwill or salvation army (if they are not totally ruined).

caleymama
09-02-2009, 10:11 AM
It depends on the shoe and how worn out it is.

Sneakers I generally trash now that they are wearing them for longer. They are usually pretty destroyed & broken in by the time they are outgrown. They wouldn't be suitable for a younger sibling to wear even occasionally.

Dress shoes often get passed down to my nieces or friends, because they have been worn infrequently.

All the in between stuff I decide on a pair by pair basis. Some to family/friends, some to goodwill, some get sold.

kijip
09-02-2009, 01:08 PM
If they are just outgrown (as opposed to worn out), I donate them.

Melaine
09-02-2009, 01:38 PM
I sell them on Craigslist unless too worn, then I donate to thrift store. I prefer a local thrift store that sends it's profits to the cancer hospital rather than Goodwill.

Globetrotter
09-02-2009, 02:37 PM
If they can't be handed down to ds (older one is a girl, but I get certain things unisex, like water shoes), then I pass them on to a couple of close friends. This is assuming they are in decent shape. Otherwise, I like to freecycle them as I know they will be used. I'm a bit wary of donating shoes because I'm not sure if they'll be thrown away or used!

C99
09-02-2009, 03:39 PM
give away, donate or trash, depending on what shape they're in.

cottagemom
09-02-2009, 04:20 PM
http://www.soles4souls.org/

Our local shoe store collects used shoes and sends them to this organization.

mom2one
09-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I was glad to see someone else just posted soles4souls. I just recently donated 13 pairs of ours. It did cost a few pennies to ship it to them, but I figure people who really need these shoes will get them. So send them your worn out sandals, bed rooms shoes, dress shoes, whatever you have for any man, woman or child. A great cause!

DrSally
09-02-2009, 10:24 PM
REI recycles shoes. If they're in really bad shape, we drop them off there. We just dropped off a bag there this weekend. Didn't know about soles4souls. That's great!

kransden
09-03-2009, 12:10 AM
Good condition, I'll donate or give to the school.