PDA

View Full Version : Does your DD wear shorts under dresses?

jhrabosk
09-02-2009, 03:02 PM
When I picked DD up from her new preschool today, the teacher requested that I put shorts under her dresses because of sitting on the floor and playing on the playground.

I actually don't usually let her wear dresses to the playground, but didn't know they were going to start going today...

Little girls showing panties while playing with other kids has just never seemed like a big deal to me. I guess I was a little put off by the teacher suggesting she should cover up...not sure whether I'm overreacting.

MaiseyDog
09-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Yes, both DD's wear shorts under their dresses. We've talked alot about what is private and what isn't, and that includes panties. We've had to talk about how you can't go outside in just your panties repeatedly, so for us it makes more sense if we keep panties covered up.

DD1 loves dresses and would wear them every day if we had enough, but I she pays absolutely no attention to how she sits and what she does in them. It's just easier all around to throw the shorts on and not worry about it.

kayte
09-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Yes she does, but it's not about modesty here. It's because you need shorts under a dress or your skin sticks to the slide on the way down --ouch.

Frankly DD doesn't like to wear dresses because they can be hard to play in--getting caught on your knees when climbing or playing on the floor, etc... So we mostly stick to skirts--with shorts under--for the mentioned reason.

I certainly understand your uneasiness with the teacher's comment. It would probably bother me. But I say chalk it up to her wanting to ensure there was no teasing or otherwise unsavory remarks -- little ones love potty humor.

urquie
09-02-2009, 03:31 PM
yup - and dd wears dresses every day.

MommyofAmaya
09-02-2009, 03:34 PM

:yeahthat:

C99
09-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Most of the time. Invariably, the one time we skip it, we'll be on the bus and she'll refuse to sit with her legs down. At a school meeting, one of the teachers mentioned that to me about another kid and I was really surprised that the teacher/school would mandate such a thing. But the more I think about it, the less I think it's about teaching girls to be modest as protecting them from weirdos.

MMMommy
09-02-2009, 03:36 PM
My DDs don't usually wear fancy dresses, but more casual, all cotton dresses (think Gap/Old Navy), and they wear them with leggings underneath. Like a "romper with leggings" look, and I think it is practical and cute!

Melaine
09-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Yes we do dresses with shorts or leggings or skirts with the built-in shorts underneath (I love the ones from TCP). I'd appreciate a teacher trying to protect my daughters' modesty, especially at that age when they might not know to protect it themselves.

Moneypenny
09-02-2009, 03:38 PM
DD does wear bike shorts under dresses. I don't mind her undies showing so much, but sometimes when she's playing and moving around, her undies slide over a little and expose more of her than I am comfortable with.

daniele_ut
09-02-2009, 03:41 PM
My dd is still small enough that her dresses come with diaper covers, but at back to school night ds's Pre-K teacher asked that all the girls in her class wear shorts or leggings under their dresses. It didn't bother me at all and I'd be fine with it when dd reaches that class.

Corie
09-02-2009, 03:41 PM
My 7 year old daughter wears Monkeybar Buddies under her skirts/dresses.

http://www.monkeybarbuddies.com/

hillview
09-02-2009, 03:44 PM
sometimes when she's playing and moving around, her undies slide over a little and expose more of her than I am comfortable with.

I am a mom of boys. I have seen this happen (often in grocery carts) and it makes me wonder why DC isn't wearing leggings etc. I think a teacher mentioning it is appropriate (sounds like it was done nicely). I am guessing she mentioned it because if an issue that has come up in the past and she is trying to do what is in the best interest of your daughter.

Of course it is up to you :)

FWIW, DS has Umbro shorts and these are also a problem for me. His undier are not tight (HA mediums are too loose and smalls are WAY TOO TIGHT). I don't let him wear them anymore. TMI :)
/hillary

noodle
09-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Shorts or leggings under dresses here. They make dresses more playground-friendly and extend the life of favorite dresses that otherwise might be considered too short.

MommyAllison
09-02-2009, 04:08 PM
I don't mind her undies showing so much, but sometimes when she's playing and moving around, her undies slide over a little and expose more of her than I am comfortable with.

:yeahthat: We picked up a ton of knit shorts on clearance at Target a week or two ago for $1 a pair, because DD wants to wear a dress every day. We just sized down a couple sizes so they would not gape - DD is 3.5 but I bought 12m and 18m. At home though when it's just us, I don't make her wear shorts underneath.

momtoonegirl
09-02-2009, 04:15 PM
DD wears shorts or leggings under dresses most of the time. The only time I can think of that she doesn't is at church.

jenmcadams
09-02-2009, 05:01 PM

Us too...it's part of the dress code for our elementary school (which has a pretty liberal dress policy...hardly anything is off limits). We do the bike short type shorts from gymbo or target and do leggings in winter when not wearing tights

Snow mom
09-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Lots of the older kids (up to age 4) at DDs daycare run around in their underwear on the playground. I figure they must have a rule that the kids have to have undies on, otherwise they'd be naked. Because of this no shorts under a dress doesn't sound that bad to me.

AnnieW625
09-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Oh thanks for the reminder! I need to stop by Carters or Target and pick up some white shorts for DD who starts pre school in a couple of weeks!

kransden
09-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Yes, she does especially since the aftercare kids asked my dd to spin around so they could see her underwear when she was in preschool. We left after that.

brittone2
09-02-2009, 06:28 PM
DD isn't in preschool or daycare, so she doesn't always wear shorts underneath. However, she really loves boxer briefs (because her older brotehr likes them) and I've found they are like little bike shorts for her, kwim? She has her own collection of boxer briefs now, complete w/ fly LOL.

doberbrat
09-02-2009, 06:45 PM
usually but I dont think its a big deal. they all go to the bathroom together 4yo class so I'm not too concerned.

I'd prob be miffed if a teacher told me to put shorts on her.

KrystalS
09-02-2009, 07:25 PM
It's required at my DDs school. They sit in circle time and most girls just don't think about their panties showing. It isn't just the younger kids though, my sisters are in 5th grade and they have to wear shorts/leggings under their dresses/skirts too.

s7714
09-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Yes, always. Shorts in warmer weather and leggings or tights in the cooler weather. We do it for a variety of reasons, including modesty, safety and comfort (as in sliding down hot slides, etc.).

KrisM
09-02-2009, 08:32 PM
We did, but not so much now. She can barely do the hold-the-dress-up-pull-the-underwear-down dance for going potty. I can't imagine adding shorts or pants to that just yet. We're working on her being able to do the whole potty thing herself, and dresses are easier for her than pants.

I'll likely send her to school in shorts/shirts and not a dress.

fivi2
09-02-2009, 08:35 PM
I don't put shorts under dresses at home (even if going to playground). I don't care about modesty in a 3 yo :)

But, I wouldn't be annoyed if the teacher asked - they have to be worried about all parents, including the ones who don't want their kids seeing your kid's undies. (or worried about perverts or whatever).

I did buy a few bike shorts to send them to preschool in. I also think we'll use some of their cotton pajama short bottoms because I couldn't find many loose cotton shorts...

aa2mama
09-02-2009, 08:58 PM
I usually put shorts under DD's dresses but not always. I probably would have been slightly set back by the teacher's request except that I am learning that it is a common dress code at preschools, elementary schools, etc. And really, when I stop and think about it, it probably isn't such a bad idea these days.

Asianmommy
09-03-2009, 12:25 AM
We always try to put bike shorts on under dresses. I get them from Gymboree or The Children's Place. I just want to try to teach the girls about privacy and so on. Plus, one time a dad said to me, "I see London, I see France..."

graciebellesmomma
09-03-2009, 01:18 AM
My daughter goes to a Catholic school that requires shorts under skirts/dresses.
Luckily, she's been wearing Francie Pants since she started pre-school
when she was 3. I LOVE them, and she often runs sales where you can get them
for a great price! They last forever, but run small!

http://francie-pants.com/shop.php

DeeEast
09-03-2009, 10:48 PM
DD does wear bike shorts under dresses. I don't mind her undies showing so much, but sometimes when she's playing and moving around, her undies slide over a little and expose more of her than I am comfortable with.

Ditto. My DDs always wear either leggings or bike shorts under their dresses. I think its more of a practical consideration than not. To me, if they are wearing bike shorts or leggings under their dresses, its much more of a "play" outfit than a fancy dress outfit. My girls are so conditioned that they always ask for their "pants" whenever they put on a dress. : )

nov04
09-03-2009, 10:56 PM
She rarely wears dresses, but when she does, she wears bike shorts.

citymama
09-04-2009, 02:53 AM
Mine does most of the time - we live in cooler climate year-round, so it's either leggings, capris, or bike shorts under cotton playdresses. If we're somewhere very warm - no way am I going to inflict that on her. But she almost always does at school. Not all the girls do, and I think that's fine - whatever they're comfortable with. I don't think it's appropriate to make a big deal about "modesty" at this age, or make them self-conscious about their bodies. I'd be annoyed by the remarks your DD's teacher made and it would make me question the preschool a litte. At the same time, I would probably invest in some bike shorts to avoid the teacher talking to your DD about why girls should always dress modestly - roll of eyes.

mousemom
09-04-2009, 10:15 AM
[QUOTE=citymama;2466830] I don't think it's appropriate to make a big deal about "modesty" at this age, or make them self-conscious about their bodies. [QUOTE]

I agree with this. I've been watching this thread with interest because I had never really thought about this issue. Since I don't have a daughter, I can't say what I would do. But it seems kind of sad to me if it is really necessary to start teaching our daughters at this young age that they must always be so covered up, even if it is for the own "protection". (Not equating this, but it reminds me a little of requiring burqas to protect women's modesty.) I do think requiring shorts all the time has the potential to send a message to girls that there is something bad or offensive about their bodies. What is the worst that happens at that age if someone catches a glimpse of some underwear or even a bit more at times? I never wore shorts under my skirts when I was growing up and I wore jumpers/skirts everyday as part of my uniform. I don't remember it ever being an issue. But, as I said, perhaps time have changed and it is now necessary.

HIU8
09-04-2009, 10:26 AM
DD wears shorts under her skirts/dresses. Not so much for modesty though. She has issues with her pullups moving and then if she pees in it it comes out the sides. I've tried bigger pullups but they were to big (FWIW, she is 2 and wears the 3T-4T pullup. The next size was to large and she was leaking through). I use the bike shorts as another layer under hear to keep the pullup in place and to stop pee from running down her leg.

brittone2
09-04-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't think it's appropriate to make a big deal about "modesty" at this age, or make them self-conscious about their bodies.

Agreeing w/ this as well. My DD isn't in preschool, and we do use shorts or boxer briefs (LOL) under DD's dresses sometimes, but for me, it comes down to this being an individual family choice. Some families will prefer the modesty of bike shorts, but to have a *pre*school say something to me would probably make me feel uncomfortable. I know my DS's modesty came into play right around age 5 naturally.

ladysoapmaker
09-04-2009, 10:56 AM
My DD#1 sometimes wears shorts or leggings. It really depends on the situation. I told her Kindergarten teacher I would be putting a pair of shorts in her bookbag on the occasions we forget to make sure she's wearing pants or shorts for gym. Helena also insists on shorts if her shirt is shorter then her knees. She tends to be quite the tomboy so she has learned which outfits to put the shorts or legging on underneath for modesty.

Ceepa
09-04-2009, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with a teacher mentioning shorts would be a good idea. Sliding panties aren't uncommon for a climbing, sitting, *scratching* preschooler.

bubbaray
09-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Most of the time, yes.