PDA

View Full Version : s/o: tooth fairy dilemma - wwyd?

fivi2
09-02-2009, 09:20 PM
I have a while before I have to worry, but the other post made me think about it. One dd knocked a tooth out when she was 2 yo. I still have the tooth, and she of course knows she is missing a tooth. (they are a little over 3.5 now). We didn't do tooth fairy at the time because she was so young and obviously wouldn't be losing more (knock on wood) for quite some time.

So, how do I introduce the tooth fairy when teeth start coming out for real? How do I explain why the other tooth didn't bring any loot?

Any thoughts?

TIA!

spanannie
09-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Gosh, that's tough . . . my DS knocked out his front teeth around 2 and we went ahead and gave the $. I don't think he has any recollection of losing the teeth at that age, though, and doesn't remember the $ either. Maybe your DD will forget by the time she starts losing teeth at 5 or 6? My DS had a partial taking the place of the missing teeth. We had it removed when all of his friends starting losing those same teeth. We did tooth fairy with the partial, too.

SnuggleBuggles
09-02-2009, 09:28 PM
I gave ds $ when he lost a tooth prematurely.

In my case I would feel comfortable not telling dd the truth if I was really pressed. I guess I am terrible mom b/c that's what I would do, I think.

Beth

calv
09-02-2009, 09:29 PM
have the toothfairy write a letter explaing it. when another tooth is lost put both in the pillow and do a little extra money, toy or whatever you decide.

fivi2
09-02-2009, 09:34 PM
I probably should have gone ahead and done it at the time, but I was not thinking too clearly!

I guess I will double up, but explaining to her twin sister why she gets an extra prize will be complicated ;) (doable, just complicated)

I thought about lying to her, but she has a strangely good memory about the whole event, and she has looked at the tooth a few times since then. (oops, another mommy mistake. She was just more interested in the investigating the tooth aspect and I didn't think ahead to the tooth fairy! :) )

thanks for the suggestions!

TwinFoxes
09-02-2009, 09:35 PM
How does she know the tooth fairy DIDN'T bring her loot? :) She can't remember it. I think you're worrying about something that she probably won't question. If she asks what she got for that tooth, just make something up, the whole thing is make believe anyway.

ETA: you were posting about her remembering while I was posting. So never mind!! ;)

JTsMom
09-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Since she knows you still have the tooth, how about saying that the tooth fairy only leaves money if she takes the tooth? Maybe she could leave it when she loses her next one?

fivi2
09-02-2009, 09:50 PM
yeah, it is definitely odd how much she remembers about it. They were outside with dh when it happened, but even now (over a year later) she will point out where she fell and tell me daddy picked her up and took her inside, and the tooth was on the ground, but then daddy found it, etc, etc...

I guess I'll just have to do the double up thing...

Thanks!

kransden
09-03-2009, 12:14 AM
Well the tooth fairy didn't get it because it came out ahead of schedule. When the twin loses that tooth, I'ld place it under the pillow then so the fairy can pick it up at the right time.

fivi2
09-03-2009, 12:39 AM
Well the tooth fairy didn't get it because it came out ahead of schedule. When the twin loses that tooth, I'ld place it under the pillow then so the fairy can pick it up at the right time.

you are a GENIUS! (breathing sigh of relief). perfect explanation and solution.
Thank you!