PDA

View Full Version : Boys going to Kindergarten drawing/fine motor skills ?

jacksmomtobe
09-02-2009, 11:19 PM
So I'm feeling a bit nervous about DS starting Kindergarten next week. He exceeds the norm for gross motor skills but needs work in fine motor skills. Not to the point where he needs to do therapy but more he just needs more practice. He can write his name and other letters but has been so interested in playing sports/playing with trucks he hasn't done that much drawing thus his pictures don't have the detail of others his age. He has done some detailed pics in certain situations. I'm looking to hear from others either in the same boat or someone who has been there done that with their ds. His preschool was a coop and this year the teacher had the parent helpers do projects one on one with each child so I saw the big difference between boys and girls in the fine motor area. Overall I feel like girls are at a huge advantage with K since the beginning focus is on writing. With ideas from DS's pre-K Teacher we created his "office" box full of drawing, stenciling, rubbing activities to get him more experience doing fine motor tasks without focusing on "writing" per se since he puts pressure on himself to do things perfectly. This summer I feel like we've been so active outside that we haven't done as much of the inside fine motor activities. Thus I'm feeling guilty and stressed. Any feedback from those who've BTDT would be appreciated.

THANKS!

hellokitty
09-03-2009, 12:00 AM
Try not to stress. I think all of us with kids entering K feel nervous and it's normal. My son started 1/2 day K last wk and I too was really concerned. He is the opposite, fine motor skills are not too bad (handwriting could be better, but it's more of him not being interested in writing more than anything), but gross motor skills are horrible (he's very clumsy and unathletic) and he has issues with staying focused. The more I talk to other moms, the more I realize that a lot of the issues MY kid has, their kids have too, and my kids is probably more, "normal" compared to other kids his age, than I give him credit for. I too think that the girls are light yrs ahead of boys at this age, but I know that the teachers know this too, so it's not like they don't have experience dealing with it. I hope your son's first day of school goes well and that you do ok too. :hug: He'll do fine. If you have concerns, be sure to talk to his teacher about it, I am sure she will let you know if there ends up being anything that you need to worry about, but really kids enter K with such varying levels of knowledge and abilities, I think that the teachers do the best that they can to try to get all of them on the same page.

kransden
09-03-2009, 12:06 AM
It's very common in boys. I saw it all the time when I taught art. Some boys would rather build things out of the markers instead of using them to draw.

rlu
09-03-2009, 01:48 AM
We're in the same situation. DS is very active, loves playing with his cars, garbage trucks, riding bike, etc. He likes to be read to, but sitting down to draw or write doesn't happen voluntarily too often. I had intended to work on his writing over the summer, I even have the worksheets, but just didn't get it done. I saw the differences the first day of K when the teacher had each child draw themselves - DS couldn't even figure out how to begin. I never thought to have him draw specific things so focused on alphabet and numbers as I was. Ugh.

Anyway, there was a huge variety of skill levels in the drawings, and in the way the kids wrote their names, so I wouldn't stress about it.

Our K teacher has sent home a "homework calendar" with an activity for each weekday. Per the notes she wants the kids to do 3 activities a week, we've been doing each one. It includes writing, counting, drawing, and a variety of other activities (compare the taste of red and green apples for example) so while she does acknowledge many of the kids need extra practice on the fine motor skills, she also addresses other areas (touch your toes 10 times). From this I understand writing is (of course) important, but not the only measurement to be considered.

I've been wanting to change up our evening schedule a bit at home, based in large part on a suggestion in Soulemama's book. One of the designated nights would be art night and on some of those nights we'll practice drawing people or animals or garbage trucks or whatever suggestion comes up. I also plan to have a writing night where all three of us write in our own journal and then have DS dictate a story and have him help write some of it. Random thoughts, not sure if relevant at this point.

http://www.soulemama.com/ Amanda's The Creative Family is the book I referenced above.

mytwosons
09-03-2009, 05:41 AM
Don't worry. All kids have an area they are weaker in. The teacher will be able to assess that (they spend at least the first two weeks assessing) and will focus their assistance in that area. I'm sure he'll be caught up in no time. I also think he'll be ahead of some kids in the class.

FWIW, DS1 always liked to partake in physical play and never wanted to color, etc. My neighbor with an older son told me it would all change in K; it did. I was shocked when he began wanting to draw, color, journal, or write a book. We just always have a stack of construction paper, markers, crayons, colored pencils and pencils available to him. Plus, your son soon figure out he needs to write and draw if he wants to make a "Do Not Come Into My Room!" sign....:wink2:

JBaxter
09-03-2009, 06:52 AM
Dont worry BTDT I have had 1 of the 3 ( who have gone to school already) that wasnt super interested in writing/drawing. Oddly they are the 2 that are stronger in math. Nathan's writing is something he will be working on but he can do math in his head that amazes me. They all have things they pick up quicker but it will all even out. Sounds like he is very much in the normal range.

SnuggleBuggles
09-03-2009, 09:08 AM
When ds started k he wasn't into drawing or writing at all. All of a sudden it just clicked, especially the drawing part. The writing was ok. Imo, that's one of the things they should be learning in k and not be worried about being behind without those skills in place from the start.

Beth

Karenn
09-03-2009, 11:20 AM
It will likely come. Those fine motor skills just often develop later in boys. DS could hardly hold a pencil when he was 4. Sometime during the year he was 5 the switch flipped and he had much more control. At 7, he's still is not a big coloring fan, but those fine motor skills fell into place and he writes just fine.

infocrazy
09-03-2009, 12:06 PM
It's very common in boys. I saw it all the time when I taught art. Some boys would rather build things out of the markers instead of using them to draw.

LOL...DS1 just did that!

jacksmomtobe
09-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Thanks for everyone's response. These responses made me feel better. We had a playdate with 3 kindergarten girls yesterday and they were drawing these extremely detailed pictures and it brought out some of my underlying fears about kindergarten.

kransden
09-04-2009, 01:04 AM
Dont worry BTDT I have had 1 of the 3 ( who have gone to school already) that wasnt super interested in writing/drawing. Oddly they are the 2 that are stronger in math. Nathan's writing is something he will be working on but he can do math in his head that amazes me. They all have things they pick up quicker but it will all even out. Sounds like he is very much in the normal range.

Yes, thoses boys would be stumped on what to draw. I would suggest "numbers". I would have a page with 2s all over it. They loved it! That is one of my very funny memories! :)