PDA

View Full Version : Your Thoughts on Leapster

mommylamb
09-03-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm toying with buying DS a leapster, and I'd like your thoughts on it. DS is only 2 now, so he may not "get" the games just yet, but he could probably still play with it. I was thinking about it last night when he grabbed my blackberry to play with, and when I took it back he cried "no mama, my blackberry."

So what do you think of your kids' leapsters? Are there specific games that are good for the younger crowd? Are there other similar video game consuls for kids that you think are better?

Thanks.

JBaxter
09-03-2009, 09:01 AM
2 is to young IMO 3 - 3 1/2 is pushing it to get parts of any of the games. 4 is more the prime age to do well with it.

AnnieW625
09-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Elisa is 3 and is just getting to understand how to use this Leapster machine:
http://www.leapfrog.com/en/fridge_phonics/wwfridgephonics.html

alien_host
09-03-2009, 09:07 AM
2 is to young IMO 3 - 3 1/2 is pushing it to get parts of any of the games. 4 is more the prime age to do well with it.

:yeahthat: DD got hers two months shy of 4 and some of the stuff was still frustrating for her (the arrow pad was hard for her to use, the pen part was fine), although once they practice they get much better at it. I think a 2 YO would get very frustrated, and I'd worry about them accidentally damaging the unit as well.

billysmommy
09-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Benjamin's been playing with Billy's since he was 2.5. He didn't necessarily play the games the "right" way but he never got frustrated with it, he was thrilled just to be playing with the his brother's games. By 3 he was able to play some of the easier games on each cartridge without a problem, Wall-E, the dragon one that is on the leapster and Cars. He's 3 and 4 months now and can play pretty much all of the games as long as they don't require him to spell, add/subtract. We ended up getting a 2nd one last spring when they were on sale so he could have his own.

ohiomom1121
09-03-2009, 09:17 AM
DD got hers for her 3rd birthday and by the time DS was 2.5 we bought him one because he wouldn't leave hers alone! He did very well with it...initially he just played the built in drawing game, but quickly progressed. By 3 he could play most of the games DD had.

khm
09-03-2009, 09:42 AM
My son has been playing with one since he was 2-something when his older sister got one for her birthday. Some of the games are more like "touch the screen anywhere and something will happen". ;) Some games are pretty advanced, but some are just moving stories, or drawing games, etc.

It's been three years now, and the Leapsters are experiencing a renewal. It's been the #1 thing to play with for a week or so.

mommylamb
09-03-2009, 09:45 AM
My son has been playing with one since he was 2-something when his older sister got one for her birthday. Some of the games are more like "touch the screen anywhere and something will happen". ;) Some games are pretty advanced, but some are just moving stories, or drawing games, etc.

It's been three years now, and the Leapsters are experiencing a renewal. It's been the #1 thing to play with for a week or so.

The touch the screen game sounds like something he would be able to do. Which one is that?

KrisM
09-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Age 2 is too young to get it for sure. But, DS1 got his at 4 and I found one at a garage sale for $3 for DD. She was 2 and couldn't do much, but just liked having the same thing. Now, at a bit over 3, she can do a few games, but it's still hard to find ones that are simple enough for her to understand.

What about something like the My First Leappad? She really enjoyed that a lot. Or the Scribble and Write or Text and Learn? Those are geared for 3 and up and might be easier.

Otherwise, I'd look for a used Leapster in case it did get damaged.

catpagmo
09-03-2009, 11:02 AM
I second the My First Leappad idea. My DD got one when she turned 3, and still plays with it a lot. She loves it! I think the Leapster would have been way too difficult for her at age 2.

mommylamb
09-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Another leapster question: What's the difference between leapster and leapster 2?

khm
09-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Learn to draw and write has simple coloring screens.

Thomas (if there is more than one Thomas train cartridge, whatever is young!) has "let's meet the characters" pages. There are words to touch, you can "learn" about the characters, etc. It talks at you a lot more than anything else. :)

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. I know he didn't "play the games", he was just happy to beep around and do what he sister was doing. Really, there was never ever any type of frustration. He did get feedback, when he touched the screen things happened. He didn't know he wasn't doing the same thing his sister was.

egoldber
09-03-2009, 06:14 PM
I gave Sarah's old Leapster to Amy so that she would leave Sarah's DS alone. She calls it "my 'intendo" and likes it. She bangs at it with the stylus, but is not at all able to really work the games. I bought it for Sarah when she was 4 and that was about the right age IMO.

kijip
09-03-2009, 06:37 PM
We decided that we did not want to allow any portable game systems for T. Maybe when he is older, I don't know. If he needs portable entertainment, there are plenty of toys, books and coloring stuff around. I like being able to limit "screen time" to a fixed location.

Ceepa
09-03-2009, 07:00 PM
We decided that we did not want to allow any portable game systems for T. Maybe when he is older, I don't know. If he needs portable entertainment, there are plenty of toys, books and coloring stuff around. I like being able to limit "screen time" to a fixed location.

At this point we're not buying any portable games for DC either. We're still into books and rubber insects and magnifying glasses. For a long interstate trip we picked up an inexpensive VTech "first computer" thingy, the novelty wore off after about 20 minutes. They played with it on the way back for about 20 minutes and it hasn't been touched since. So I would suggest you not invest a lot if you decide to purchase something.