PDA

View Full Version : Leapfrog Tag - are these really good for your kids? Selling at Costco.com for $50.

sewarsh
09-03-2009, 10:01 AM
At first thought, I think why would I spend money for an electronic toy to read to my daugther when I can read to her? Isn't it more beneficail to have live interaction with your child and not another electronic product? Plus on top of that, you have to pay $10+ per book when we probably already own it in hardback?!

When I read reviews on Amazon, people love this toy and say its so beneficial to their child. Is this true? Do you agree? or do you agree with my original thought...another electronic toy that takes away real human interaction?

ett
09-03-2009, 10:30 AM
We don't have this as we don't do electronic toys here (except we do have the Leapfrog table) and my boys have expressed no interest in them either. So while it could be beneficial to lots of kids, it is definitely not necessary to have one and should not take away from the time you spend reading regular books. And the cost will add up once you start buying the books for them. I would not spend the money on them but that's just my personal opinion.

DS2 wanted to add this: :love5:

sewarsh
09-03-2009, 10:36 AM
yes, i'm the same. very little of our toys are electronic. mostly wood. my DS just got a leapfrog magnet farm set for the fridge for his bday and i was so close to returning it but kept it for guilt that the giver would be over again and notice it was gone plus a couple friends have it and said it was a hit. we'll see...

MommyofAmaya
09-03-2009, 10:44 AM
DD got a Tag when she was 2.5 and we love it. That was about the same time she dropped her daily nap and it was a perfect transistion to "quiet time" activities. It is also great for car trips. She actually uses the activity games more than the book feature in most books. I wouldn't say its "beneficial" in any way, except that it keeps her happily quietly occupied during those times as necessary.

Our Tag was a Xmas gift (my mom paid $39 last holiday season) and we paid much less than $10 per book (with LF coupons and Target clearance). I'd wait for a better deal if you decide to get it.

mum-to-be
09-03-2009, 11:01 AM
I just got one for DS (2.5yrs). He loves it. He already loves reading, so I wasn't sure it was necessary. I just got one from Target on Clearance for $25, and used the $10 printable coupon so got it for $15. I also got 3 free books for it plus the free activity book it comes with - two on clearance at Target, and one through Leapfrog for registering his learning path. Ours is the older one that holds half as many books as the 32MB Tag reader. For $15, I am very happy with it. We have taken it to the supermarket and DS will sit and happily play with it throughout the entire shopping experience. It doesn't replace reading for us.

mum-to-be
09-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Oh the Target books were free because they were marked down to 3.84, and I had $4 off coupons!

swampnurse
09-03-2009, 04:53 PM
There's a new one that holds more???? I just got two new ones from Amazon for $35 each. Crap!

schrocat
09-03-2009, 05:12 PM
I just picked one of the older model Tags for $12 something up at Target. I didn't have my coupon with me, but at that price it didn't matter. DS reads already but I figured he'd have fun with it. He really likes electronic toys.

mum-to-be
09-03-2009, 06:04 PM
I just picked one of the older model Tags for $12 something up at Target. I didn't have my coupon with me, but at that price it didn't matter. DS reads already but I figured he'd have fun with it. He really likes electronic toys.

I wish my Target had marked them down that much - then it would have been $2 something with a coupon. My Target very rarely marks anything down past 30% and always does so long after all the other Targets.

mum-to-be
09-03-2009, 06:06 PM
There's a new one that holds more???? I just got two new ones from Amazon for $35 each. Crap!

The new ones should say they hold 10 books. If you got the old ones, $35 is not a good deal - it may be worth seeing if you can pick them up for $15 or $2.xx each AC, and then returning yours to Amazon.

littlebethany
09-04-2009, 09:04 AM
The new ones should say they hold 10 books. If you got the old ones, $35 is not a good deal - it may be worth seeing if you can pick them up for $15 or $2.xx each AC, and then returning yours to Amazon.

I agree its worth a shot. :)

KimMae
09-04-2009, 09:08 AM
OP - I have a long trip car or airplane bag that includes TAG, Leapster, etc and for those times it is fabulous. I agree to wait for a better price. My books have been no more than $5 (and we don't need many b/c we use them infrequently) and the reader only 7.50.

nrp
09-04-2009, 09:26 AM
FYI - I looked it up on Costco.com, and I think what they are selling is the new Tag Jr. I don't know much about it or whether $50 is a good deal, but I think it is a different product than the regular Tag that most PPs were referencing.

mum-to-be
09-04-2009, 11:23 AM
FYI - I looked it up on Costco.com, and I think what they are selling is the new Tag Jr. I don't know much about it or whether $50 is a good deal, but I think it is a different product than the regular Tag that most PPs were referencing.

FYI The Tag reader is compatible with both Tag and Tag Jr books but Tag Jr reader only works with Tag Jr books. The Tag also "reads" words but the Tag Jr doesn't. My 2.5 yr old has no problems co-ordinating the Tag reader. I wouldn't buy a Tag Jr. HTH!

brittone2
09-04-2009, 11:31 AM
At first thought, I think why would I spend money for an electronic toy to read to my daugther when I can read to her? Isn't it more beneficail to have live interaction with your child and not another electronic product? Plus on top of that, you have to pay $10+ per book when we probably already own it in hardback?!

When I read reviews on Amazon, people love this toy and say its so beneficial to their child. Is this true? Do you agree? or do you agree with my original thought...another electronic toy that takes away real human interaction?

IMO, it is entertainment, and not all that educational. We don't own one and I don't have any interest in one. I think of it as I do "educational" TV-there's quite a bit of research indicating it isn't all that "educational" in the first place. Entertaining, yes.

mnosky1
09-04-2009, 01:17 PM
I think they are good - certainly not "necessary" but what is? For us, they don't replace reading but replace other toy time which then equals more reading time. They are also good for taking to things like my Dr. appointments where she may have to entertain herself. We got it when DD was 5 and she was reading shortly after so I think the interest dropped off once she coudd read on her own.
The thing it is best for is the child can read and then hit a word if they get stuck so it really cuts down on frsutration when learning to read. Or they can read it themselves and do the games and comprehension quizes at the end (what my DD does now). We also have had various versions of the old leapfrog things and this is almost the same, but the Tag is better though because it's easier to select a word and really easy to transport. The books are just like regular books so we will use them even without the reader.

traciann
09-04-2009, 02:56 PM
We don't have this as we don't do electronic toys here (except we do have the Leapfrog table) and my boys have expressed no interest in them either. So while it could be beneficial to lots of kids, it is definitely not necessary to have one and should not take away from the time you spend reading regular books. And the cost will add up once you start buying the books for them. I would not spend the money on them but that's just my personal opinion.

This was my original thoughts when they came out. Then my niece had one and my dd4 LOVED it. She quietly sat and enjoyed the books for a long time. We are big readers, and dd is always looking at books. I can see this being used in the car, appointments, or times where I would like her to have rest time or instead of watching the TV. I don't think it will replace being read to. She is getting the new reader, a bunch of books and the National Geographic cards for christmas. Most of the books were bought for 48 cents at the Target clearance.