PDA

View Full Version : Glider vs Rocker?

karenj2
09-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Not even getting into specific brands, is there a major advantage to a glider vs a rocker? The reason I ask is because I inherited my grandmom's rocker, and would only need to get cushions for it (a big money savings!), but if a glider is that much better, I'd rather get that.

Thanks!

TwoBees
09-03-2009, 11:36 AM
I think what you have is fine, as long as you are comfortable sitting in it for long periods of time. I am getting a glider because the rocking motion of a rocker (tilting back) makes me dizzy, and a glider just goes straight back and forth.

arivecchi
09-03-2009, 11:55 AM
If you eventually want your kids to use it, I'd get a glider. Easier for them to get in and out of. If that is not a concern and you like the rocker, keep that and save yourself some $$$.

L'sMommy
09-03-2009, 12:56 PM
I had a rocker that was in a family for many years. Unfortunately, it was not comfortable to sit in for long periods. So, when DH was 3 months i ordered a Dutalier glider. It is worth every penny. I love the gliding motion vs. the rocking.

maylips
09-03-2009, 04:54 PM
I had a rocker that was in a family for many years. Unfortunately, it was not comfortable to sit in for long periods. So, when DH was 3 months i ordered a Dutalier glider. It is worth every penny. I love the gliding motion vs. the rocking.

Same kind of thing here - we have a lovely antique rocker that we recovered, but it sits so low that it was hard for me to get in/out of with a c-section. When DS was coming, we bought a cheap glider from Target, mainly because we already had one child, knew we weren't having anymore, and since I'm not a big fan of how gliders look, we can get rid of it with little guilt once we're done with it. It was only $200 and does get uncomfortable after sitting in it for a long time, but I still spend a LOT of time in there. It's been invaluable at times (especially at 3:00 a.m.) and I've thought more than once that I'm glad we bought it.

Make sure your rocker is comfortable and if you like it, save the money. But if you're planning to have a lot of kids and can get some wear out of a good glider like a Dutalier, I'd invest in one. I wish we had purchased one before we had our first child - my bottom would have been a lot happier!

swrc00
09-03-2009, 08:32 PM

:yeahthat:

Same thing happened with me. The rocker that was in DS's room was uncomfortable. I bought a glider at a consignment store thinking I wouldn't use the glider for that long since he was already three months old. He is almost 10 months old and we still use it every night. I will be splurging with #2 for the Dutalier.

C99
09-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Glider - smaller floor footprint, if space is an issue for you. Make less noise in natural movement of chair.

Rocker - can be more comfortable. And I like the motion of the rocker better - I find it more soothing than the back and forth motion of the glider, which can make me seasick.

Snow mom
09-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Make sure your rocker has a back high enough to rest your head. A shorter rocker won't do when you are up and exhausted in the middle of the night. I'd say the goal is to have it comfortable enough to sleep in.