PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide on my haircut!

gavsmompa
09-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Ok ladies, looking for a new do. I go for a haircut tonight and I am looking for a new look. I am returning to work next week after 5 mos maternity leave so part of me wants to step into work and have people say "wow" and the other part just needs something that would be easy to deal with in the morning. I am used to short hair and have been growing my hair out the past several months so now it's about 3 inches above my shoulder and driving me nuts. I am not too keen on bobs. I don't want to go real short and I do like the layered look. Anyone have any suggestions?

ourbabygirl
09-03-2009, 11:34 AM
If you don't want to cut it, highlights or another all-over color change would be a nice change that people would notice :). And getting (or growing out, if you already have them) bangs is fun, too!
I hear you on needing something manageable and quick in the mornings. Just don't go so short that you regret it ;).

sunshine873
09-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Here's the link that I found when I was looking. I had mine cut this way and & I LOVE it!

http://www.latest-hairstyles.com/gallery/short/297.php

Mine isn't highlighted, so you can't see the layers as well as this picture, but I need to keep it inexpensive and low-maintenance. Oh, and it's definitely easy to take care of.

chinook
09-03-2009, 01:06 PM
I hacked my hair into a pixie about a year ago and haven't regretted it one little bit! It's super short, super cute, and takes literally about two or three minutes to do in the morning (including blow-drying). I've gotten tons of compliments on it, and I don't have particularly fine features or anything. I think lots of women would look good in short hair - they just need to give it a try!

The problem with a bob, for me, was styling time, so usually I only really did it half-a$$ed so it didn't look all that hot. And long hair? Well, it was always in a ponytail, and they say if it's always pulled back you may as well hack it off (since you're basically walking around with LESS hair around your face than a pixie would give you).

Anyway, that's my two cents. My pixie is probably most like Posh's -

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2008/09/10/celebrity-hairdresser-andrew-barton-s-guide-to-posh-s-pixie-do-115875-20730545/

brittone2
09-03-2009, 01:10 PM
I hacked my hair into a pixie about a year ago and haven't regretted it one little bit! It's super short, super cute, and takes literally about two or three minutes to do in the morning (including blow-drying). I've gotten tons of compliments on it, and I don't have particularly fine features or anything. I think lots of women would look good in short hair - they just need to give it a try!

The problem with a bob, for me, was styling time, so usually I only really did it half-a$$ed so it didn't look all that hot. And long hair? Well, it was always in a ponytail, and they say if it's always pulled back you may as well hack it off (since you're basically walking around with LESS hair around your face than a pixie would give you).

Anyway, that's my two cents. My pixie is probably most like Posh's -

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2008/09/10/celebrity-hairdresser-andrew-barton-s-guide-to-posh-s-pixie-do-115875-20730545/

I :heartbeat: my pixie! I know short hair isn't for everyone, but I loooove mine. I've had short pixie-ish hair before but it still had to be blown dry and straightened to look good. The stylist I see now cuts a lot of texture into it and for the first time in my life I have "wash and wear" hair, but I don't think it looks matronly or "old" kwim? (eta: just wanted to come back after rereading this thread to clarify that I don't mean I love my pixie because I look so super fantastic or anything LOL ;) I mean that I love the low maintenance and I am satisifed w/ the way it looks with about 2 mins of styling. I'm super lazy in my mommy days I guess.)

WatchingThemGrow
09-03-2009, 01:31 PM
I :heartbeat: my pixie! I know short hair isn't for everyone, but I loooove mine. I've had short pixie-ish hair before but it still had to be blown dry and straightened to look good. The stylist I see now cuts a lot of texture into it and for the first time in my life I have "wash and wear" hair, but I don't think it looks matronly or "old" kwim?

I agree. Beth's pixie is cute as a button! Wish I could pull it off! I'm sick of DC pulling my frizzy, puffy hair.

brittone2
09-03-2009, 01:35 PM
I agree. Beth's pixie is cute as a button! Wish I could pull it off! I'm sick of DC pulling my frizzy, puffy hair.

Oh puhlllleease ! You have beautiful hair!!! I have semi wavy, fine hair, but tons of it. It makes it rather unmanageable without a lot of maintenance when longer. When I get it cut into a bob it tends to get flat on top and poofy at the bottom (looks like a triangle LOL). Even a bob requires blowing out and straightening w/ an iron for me and it takes quite a while. Long hair on me takes forever to dry or requires blowdrying forever w/ a diffuser on low (if I leave it wavy/curly) or blowdrying w/ a round brush and then touching up with an iron (to have it look decent straight). I just can't deal with those options anymore so I have crazy short hair now LOL. I'm sure many would hate it, but i like it for me because I'm laaaaaaazy these days.

MoJo
09-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Nothing against the pixie, but I really like the style Deb linked. I think I'm going to have to look around that site!

As for me, my long, fine hair is usually too flat on top and too frizzy on bottom, especially with the humidity. Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine is helping with the frizz. I don't look good in short hair. My DD ensures my long hair isn't pulled back too often. . . she immediately pulls out whatever clip or band I was using to hold it back!

Let us know what you decide!