PDA

View Full Version : Tights for ballet?

KrisM
09-03-2009, 04:14 PM
DD is starting a dance class and I'm outfitting her :). What brand for tights is inexpensive but good? I don't want to buy a new pair every month, but don't want to spend a ton, either.

bubbaray
09-03-2009, 04:19 PM
It can really add up!

These are the tights we use, but we have used cheaper ones too.

http://www.mondor.com/md_DanseCollectionStyleForm.asp?sCatKey=MDAN&sCollKey=ACA&sStyleKey=314&lang=en

I bought 2 pairs for all of last year -- one for the weekly classes and a new pair for the end of year stage shows.

MommyAllison
09-03-2009, 04:19 PM
DD took dance for 6 weeks last winter, so we just used her regular white tights. If she was going to take a longer class, I had my eye on some at www.discountdancesupply.com IIRC, they were quite reasonable. Have fun! :)

lfp2n
09-03-2009, 04:33 PM
The expensive dance ones (Danskin or similar) are $10-15 but you only need one pair all year as they are so thick, so its worth it.

egoldber
09-03-2009, 06:06 PM
I bought the Danskin tights at the dance studio, but I remember them bring only $8 vs the Target tights which were $5 or $6.

annasmom
09-03-2009, 06:41 PM
The more expensive tights are definitely worth the money.

I think my dd went through one pair of capezio tights her first year of ballet. Then the next year I didn't want to shell out the money so I bought her the cheaper tights from Target. I completely lost count as to how many tights she went through that year. This past year I was just too lazy to go to the capezio store, so I still bought the Target ones. What a waste of money. She probably went through a pair every week.

That reminds me, I really need to get her some new good tights . . .

kristenk
09-03-2009, 09:35 PM
I've resigned myself to buying tights through DD's dance studio. I think the brand is Revolution. They're sooooo soft and not scratchy at all. I've tried a few different brands available at Target and maybe Walmart, but I wasn't impressed. One pair was incredibly thick and made DD get too hot. Another pair seemed scratchy on my arm when I was trying to turn them right-side out. I can't imagine how they'd feel on DD's legs. The last pair we tried seemed too loose and almost baggy in places.

I'm sticking to the ones her studio sells. We usually go through 1-2 pairs per year and I try to sew closed any holes in the toes, when necessary.

ged
09-04-2009, 12:56 AM
I agree to avoid the Target tights. We got a pair and they promtply began to rip apart. I bougth some Capezio ones afterwards, and so far so good!

randomkid
09-04-2009, 01:11 AM
I bought DD a pair of Body Wrappers tights that have lasted through 2 dance seasons and we are going into her 3rd with them. I bought them at a dance supply store. They are footed tights, not convertible, and I have not been able to find them online. I plan to go back to that dance store soon as DD has finally outgrown these tights. She was tiny (2.5yo) when I bought them, so they had a lot of growing room. We are still using them, but they are getting too short. I refuse to buy the cheap tights. I'll wait until I can get to the dance store. I think they were around $11 or $12.

C99
09-04-2009, 01:16 AM
I bought DD a great pair of nylon tights at Walgreen's for $1.99. She went through about 1 pair each semester.

C99
09-04-2009, 01:18 AM
It can really add up!

These are the tights we use, but we have used cheaper ones too.

http://www.mondor.com/md_DanseCollectionStyleForm.asp?sCatKey=MDAN&sCollKey=ACA&sStyleKey=314&lang=en

I bought 2 pairs for all of last year -- one for the weekly classes and a new pair for the end of year stage shows.

Melissa! How are you? I'm glad you decided to give the BBB another try! :)

Corie
09-04-2009, 09:21 AM
The more expensive tights are definitely worth the money.

I think my dd went through one pair of capezio tights her first year of ballet. Then the next year I didn't want to shell out the money so I bought her the cheaper tights from Target. I completely lost count as to how many tights she went through that year. This past year I was just too lazy to go to the capezio store, so I still bought the Target ones. What a waste of money. She probably went through a pair every week.

That reminds me, I really need to get her some new good tights . . .

Yes, I completely agree with Eileen!!

We went through quite a few pairs of the Target tights. These tights only lasted
about 2-3 classes and then they would snag & tear.

I finally broke down and bought a pair of nice tights from our local dance store.
Wonderful! These tights are still holding strong!

I will never buy another pair of cheapy tights from Target.

graciebellesmomma
09-05-2009, 12:09 AM
Weird, we use the Target tights and use the same two pairs for the entire year. Last year was year 3 of dance for us. We've never had them snag or tear.

daniele_ut
09-05-2009, 09:44 AM
I danced for 10 years as a child (not ballet, so we used footless tights), and we found that it was definitely worth it to buy good quality tights. The were more comfortable to wear and they lasted MUCH longer.