PDA

View Full Version : How do help DD1 overcome her fear of dogs (and other animals)?

MMMommy
09-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Today at kindergarten pickup, there was a little chihuahua loose. DD1 is very scared of animals, large or small. The chihuahua was loose and started barking and chasing DD1. She of course freaked out and was running rampant, and within seconds, she ran into the school parking lot. Thankfully, no one got hurt. I had a talk with her about the importance of never running out into a parking lot or street, and to not run in the presence of dogs.

I do not want her to go up to random dogs and touch them. I told her she can only touch a dog if the owner says it is okay (or safe to do so), and if I say it is ok. But at the same time, I don't want her to have an irrational fear of dogs and all animals. She seriously freaks out in the presence of them. And I certainly don't want DD1 bolting any which way (especially a parking lot or street) b/c a dog is approaching. DD2 does not have this same fear as DD1.

Any recommendations on how to teach DD1 dog safety and be mindful of dogs, but at the same time to not be overly fearful and scared of them?

Thanks for any advice!

SkyrMommy
09-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Do you have a friend or family nearby that has a dog that you know is relatively laid back? Having DD1 over to visit/play at that house, knowing that the dog is there... First slowly walk the dog on leash through the room while she is 'safe' on your lap or up on the couch playing with a toy - describe the dog - fur, fuzziness, color, tail etc. T. Then dog out for a while... then dog back in (still on leash) and sitting down next to the owner across the room while DD1 is still 'safe' with you. Try to 'talk' to the dog. Then maybe let her decide if she wants to hold out their hand to say hello just like shaking hands with people. Then maybe a treat with shaking hand/paw... all the while 'safe' with you.

My dog loves to be introduced to little ones, but I'm always grateful for the parents who ask if it's ok, I can then teach the new child to properly greet the dog and to be careful grasping at or tugging ears or head.

Good luck... and take it slowly - let DD1 lead the way, she will figure it out.

jacksmomtobe
09-03-2009, 10:58 PM
As the previous poster I would see if there is a friendly,mellow dog that someone you know has and gradually increase her comfort level with that dog. I think you are teaching her the right lessons ie not going up to strange dogs, etc that will help her avoid bad situations and thus those situations which could increase her fears.

Not sure what the chihuahua was doing running loose. As a dog owner it bothers me when people don't keep their dog in control when kids (or even adults) who may fear dogs could be exposed to them.