PDA

View Full Version : please help me feel better about my decision

newbiemom
09-04-2009, 09:16 AM
So I was planning on taking on something for work which would involve longer hours one day a week, which would eventually (in a year or two) lead to a small raise, which we could certainly use.

Turns out that the only day I can stay for the work is the same day my kids will be involved in their swim lessons. I have been so, so looking forward to watching them at their swim lessons for various reasons, and now it turns out I have to miss it. I AM SO BUMMED. I tentatively talk to DH about just cancelling the work thing (which I can do with no penalty for me, just means that it would take longer for me to get any potential raise) but he looked at me like I had two heads.
I guess this is really more a vent, since the decision is made, but I'm just really bummed. I already feel bummed I have to go to work and miss out on being with them, it really stinks I have to miss even more than I anticipated.

kijip
09-04-2009, 10:37 AM
I hear you! It sucks to be looking forwards to something and then have to miss it.

In your shoes, I would just plan to take them swimming on your time off sometimes so they can show mommy what they learned!

Good luck with the promotion, sounds great!

truly scrumptious
09-04-2009, 12:13 PM
I agree, take them out swimming on the weekends - that way you can spend as long as you like playing/admiring their new talents!
Don't know if it is an option for you to start the new hours after a couple of weeks, so you can at least watch their first couple of lessons (if this is a big milestone for you)?

niccig
09-04-2009, 12:42 PM
We go as a family on the weekends and we all play in the water. In my opinion, that family outing will be remembered by your kids more than if you watched their lessons. My Dad never made it to school events etc, and then one year work was slow and he took us to the pool after school for several weeks. Wow, talk about one of my strongest memories of us as a family.

I also agree with seeing if you can postpone the start of work for 2 weeks, so you can watch the first 2 lessons.

maestramommy
09-04-2009, 03:16 PM
:hug:

I agree with pp. Take your kids swimming on your time off!

DietCokeLover
09-04-2009, 03:22 PM
The logical part of my brain agrees with all the PPs that you should do the job and go swimming with the kids on the weekends or other days.

However, the sappy Mommy part of my brain says go watch your kiddos.

I know that's no help to you, I just wanted to commiserate with the difficult decision.

Tammy
09-04-2009, 09:56 PM
That's the hardest part of working and being a mommy. Long term, I think you did the right thing for your family. I understand not wanting to miss these things though too. I agree with the others about seeing if you can delay it a little so you can at least see the first couple lessons. Good luck.

SnuggleBuggles
09-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Are there swimming opportunites some where else that could fit into your schedule better? It seems like there should be an option that could work out.

Beth

newbiemom
09-04-2009, 11:08 PM
I tried to reschedule the swim lessons, can't do it until the spring. Tried to reschedule the work thing, but that is an absolute no, and I can't start it later. I'll have to just completely miss out on watching the kids.
I guess I wanted to be there to cheer them on - Last year, DS1 would always turn to me with big smiles and say "Did you see that? I DID IT!!" I was SO looking forward to hearing both DS1 and DS2 say that this time.
ah well.
Thanks for the understanding comments. It must be a mom thing because DH totally didn't get it at all.