PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Hilton Head & Savannah

srkaplan
09-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Next month, we are going to Hilton Head (5 days) & Savannah (2 days) with our 14 month old dd...other than the beach, what other activities & must-see things should I know about? Also, any suggestions for good kid-friendly restaurants (preferably with outdoor seating)?

ETA: we will be staying at the Marriott in Hilton Head & the Hyatt in Savannah

newg
09-04-2009, 11:01 AM
The Crazy Crab and Salty Dog restaurants on HHI are very family friendly.....they also have all the typical family places to eat (Cracker Barrel, Friday's, Olive Garden.....) not sure where you are staying.....but there is usually a magazine or two that lists all the restaurants on the island, rates the price and dinning atmosphere and style of cuisine.......
You may want to rent bikes while you're down there, or take a good stroller and some walking shoes because the whole island is covered in bike trails.......I believe there is also a nature preserve and a small horse farm where you can pet the animals they have....DD was nine months when we were down there last, so we didn't have too many activities...but my friend went down this summer with her 15 month old and the beach was all they needed!!
Oh, if you're a shopper they have some great outlets just off the island!!!
Haven't been to Savannah in a while, so I'm not sure about what to do there.....
Have fun!!!

srkaplan
09-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks newg- great suggestions! We are more into going to the local establishments than the chain restaurants, so we will definitely check out the ones you've mentioned!

scrooks
09-04-2009, 05:36 PM
We took DD to Hilton Head when she was 13 months old. The beach and pool were all we needed.

Some friends went this summer and said there are lots of nice playgrounds on the island. Someone at your hotel may be able to direct you to them.

I'm not sure about restaurants....we didn't eat out with DD at all while we were there....

newg
09-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks newg- great suggestions! We are more into going to the local establishments than the chain restaurants, so we will definitely check out the ones you've mentioned!

If local is what you're looking for there are some GREaT places to eat around Caligney (sp?) plaza.....there's a mom+pop type place that has great lunch/small dinner food for good prices and you can eat outside....and another that is more BBQ, seafood and american food.....and a place called Marleys (I believe) at the entrance to Sea Pines...a little more pricey, but good food and family friendly too.......

newnana
09-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Love this area, you guys should have a blast. We grew up spending all summer every summer in Savannah and I would love to take DD there.

Fav's to do
There is a pretty good and free science center in Savannah. Last I was there was 5 years ago, but it was still free then. And still had the giant walk through heart I remember from when I was a kid.

Pulaski Field is a fun fort to go to with re-enactments and the like. There is also Old Ft. Jackson, with a cannon firing daily.

Go to River Street Sweets and watch them make taffy and get a free sample. Then wander over to the next room to watch them make amazing chocolate or praline sensations. Yum. All of river street is fun to see and the history there is cool too.

If you were a Girl Scout, the Juliette Gordon Lowe house is there and open for tours.

If you are into pirates, the pirate walk/pirate talk tour is supposed to be fun.

Favorite places to eat:
Carey Hilliards- fabulous family establishment- brunswick stew there is a must
Pirate's House- tourist place, but very fun and very kid friendly. One of those must do things. Lots of history there.
William's seafood- Definitely not upscale, but amazing seafood. burned down in 2004, but I have heard they have rebuilt. Best seafood in town.
Paula Deen's- not my thing, but some love it.
If you can't get to William's, second best may be the Crab Shack.
Johnny Harris- been around forever, make their own bbq sauce. kind of spicey, kind of dark lighting, but they are a family owned place and the food is excellent.

Have fun!

mom2binsd
09-07-2009, 10:25 PM
DH and I went there with our 14 month old and we found just about every restaurant was laid back...it was soooo hot when we went in mid June (he had meetings for work) that we just went to the beach and pool and DD and I went to the outlets...she was already a great shopper!!!!!!!!