PDA

View Full Version : Keep seeing this message on Facebook

moonsky
09-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Quote: No one should die because they cannot afford health care, no one should go broke because they get sick and no person should be denied medical care regardless of his or her immigration status. If you agree, please join us and post this as your status for the rest of today.

I don't want to offend anyone because I know many may have different opinion.

This is mine -I agree that pp should not die because they cannot afford healthcare. For other parts, it depends...

Will it result in higher premiums/higher taxes for majority of us. Will it increase health insurance expenses for majority of companies which are already struggling to survive and perhaps need to lay off more people or pass the cost to customers? A good friend of mine has been out of job for a year now.

I support the health spending account when it can be carried over if you don't use it. So, we save while we work and can use it when we can't work. Then, we won't be a liability for others.

For immigrants, IMO firm line should be drawn on the illegal ones. They should be treated only it is emergency. If they came here legally, that is another story. My friends' parents(over 60 yrs old and immigrated) paid more than $1K monthly premium for each of them. They can't communicate well in English but still find a way to work to support all expenses. They bake and provide home delivery service. They save majority of their earning and never needs to ask for financial help from their children.

My point is that it is difficult to open arms for everyone when our country's budget is already in deeply deficit and there are a lot of unemployments.

I am still not sure why pp post it on the FB. What are they trying to accomplish?

lizzywednesday
09-04-2009, 11:06 AM
It's kind of a rock-in-the-pond effect.

There's not much to be accomplished beyond starting a real discussion among real people about what it means to have health care anywhere.

It's not a reflection of whether the person believes in furthering government-subsidized programs (because, like it or not, Medicare and Medicaid are government-subsidized health care programs ... and they work OK) so we have universal coverage in the Canadian or British vein (which are sometimes OK, but I have heard HORROR stories from ppl with direct experience) but rather a statement along the lines of:

This is the USA. We're largely considered to be the richest nation in the world.
The fact that some of our citizens are struggling to get the care they desperately need because they cannot afford it is maddening. The fact that I know a woman, who is a cancer survivor (breast cancer, leukemia, brain tumor) and domestic violence survivor, who cannot afford to feed her three children AND pay for the medications to keep her blood counts up and fight her recurring brain tumor, and she is someone who lives in the USA, makes me angry.

I believe there's got to be a way to provide care to everyone, but we're just going about it the wrong way ... and we're discussing the wrong issues.

The status updates are sparking EXACTLY this type of intelligent debate among my friends ... what about among yours? Or are you just seeing "like" expressions?

mommylamb
09-04-2009, 11:24 AM
I've been seeing it a lot too and I've chosen not to put it on my status for a few reasons. I strongly support health care reform, but this particular message doesn't deal with the nuances. Way too heavy handed. Obviously people don't want others to go bancrupt or die. I also work for a bipartisan organization, and recently I've been friended by some work colleagues (not from within my organization, but people I represent) and I don't want to have something overtly partisan, even on my personal facebook page.

Sillygirl
09-04-2009, 11:25 AM
For immigrants, IMO firm line should be drawn on the illegal ones. They should be treated only it is emergency.

I guess that sounds good in theory if you like that sort of thing. Let me give you an example of how that works in practice. We've had several illegal immigrants show up in the emergency room with undiagnosed kidney failure. They need dialysis three times a week or they die. It can take months to iron out all the paperwork to get them outpatient stable dialysis. Until then, they need to show up in an emergency room three times a week. An emergency room physician has to assess them and draw labs to confirm that yes, they still have kidney failure. Then they have to consult me and I have to arrange for an inpatient dialysis treatment. If we don't have any others scheduled that day, I have to pull in a nurse and a tech to do it. The hospital gets paid, sort of, for doing this because it's emergency care. But they don't cover their costs.

I can't give them anemia drugs to keep their blood counts up - those drugs are expensive and not considered emergency treatment. So instead I wait for their blood counts to drop to critical levels and then give them a transfusion, drawing blood out of a bank that's always short. I can't get a surgeon to place a fistula in their arms - again, not emergency treatment. So they use temporary plastic catheters that carry a hundred-fold higher risk of bloodstream infections. If they get infection, they'll be hospitalized for weeks of IV antibiotics. Which we'll lose money on. I can't give them the special injectable Vitamin D they need, so their bones erode and their parathyroid glands enlarge to the point that a surgery to remove them is their only option - once they finally get coverage. By the time they are granted dialysis coverage - and many are - they have a whole host of complications that are expensive to treat and often lead to lifelong problems, all of which were preventable.

Can you imagine what it's like to be in this situation? I can't imagine the patient's side of things. I only get the frustration at all the waste that takes place - money, resources, time, manpower. And I've not heard other options from the Republican side. Do they want us to let these people die in the streets? Or should we deport them, which is the same thing as a death sentence, literally they will die within a week. I don't believe that most Republicans would want that, except in some of my darker hours. But the current rhetoric that you cite is, forgive me, either willfully blind or dangerously naive.

mommylamb
09-04-2009, 11:30 AM
I agree with Sillygirl that saying non-documented people shouldn't be covered is easier said than done and causes a lot of waste. Also-- and I'm thinking of coverage for certain govt. programs-- it can be really costly for states to determine whether someone is truly illegal or not. And, a lot of legal residents who can't find their documentation often fall through the cracks.

vonfirmath
09-04-2009, 11:34 AM
The message is annoying me because of what it implies the people putting it up think about those who don't support the current health care plan in Congress. Plus, because it is being copied and reposted, its just like spam in your box. better to make something up and say what YOU think not what someone else wrote for you.

arivecchi
09-04-2009, 11:44 AM
I guess that sounds good in theory if you like that sort of thing. Let me give you an example of how that works in practice. We've had several illegal immigrants show up in the emergency room with undiagnosed kidney failure. They need dialysis three times a week or they die. It can take months to iron out all the paperwork to get them outpatient stable dialysis. Until then, they need to show up in an emergency room three times a week. An emergency room physician has to assess them and draw labs to confirm that yes, they still have kidney failure. Then they have to consult me and I have to arrange for an inpatient dialysis treatment. If we don't have any others scheduled that day, I have to pull in a nurse and a tech to do it. The hospital gets paid, sort of, for doing this because it's emergency care. But they don't cover their costs.

I can't give them anemia drugs to keep their blood counts up - those drugs are expensive and not considered emergency treatment. So instead I wait for their blood counts to drop to critical levels and then give them a transfusion, drawing blood out of a bank that's always short. I can't get a surgeon to place a fistula in their arms - again, not emergency treatment. So they use temporary plastic catheters that carry a hundred-fold higher risk of bloodstream infections. If they get infection, they'll be hospitalized for weeks of IV antibiotics. Which we'll lose money on. I can't give them the special injectable Vitamin D they need, so their bones erode and their parathyroid glands enlarge to the point that a surgery to remove them is their only option - once they finally get coverage. By the time they are granted dialysis coverage - and many are - they have a whole host of complications that are expensive to treat and often lead to lifelong problems, all of which were preventable.

Can you imagine what it's like to be in this situation? I can't imagine the patient's side of things. I only get the frustration at all the waste that takes place - money, resources, time, manpower. And I've not heard other options from the Republican side. Do they want us to let these people die in the streets? Or should we deport them, which is the same thing as a death sentence, literally they will die within a week. I don't believe that most Republicans would want that, except in some of my darker hours. But the current rhetoric that you cite is, forgive me, either willfully blind or dangerously naive. This is insane. What a crazy system. I am glad to have some of my tax dollars help such people in need.

kijip
09-04-2009, 11:55 AM
The message is annoying me because of what it implies the people putting it up think about those who don't support the current health care plan in Congress.

On it's face this little status blurb though says nothing about either the plans in Congress or that people actively want people to die or go broke. But in the absence of some solution, yes there are people suffering, dying or going broke over their healthcare access. No one actively wants that, but it happens. A statement of values can always be taken to imply something about people that don't share those values no matter who is making the statement. But I for one am not willing to not have values just so that I don't, by implication, hurt the feelings of those that disagree.

And, no, I do not have this update on my facebook page. ;)

Fairy
09-04-2009, 12:13 PM
I put it on my FB status because I believe it. Sillygirl's post hits the nail on the head of why I believe it. The fact is that these are human beings. I don't want these human beings whether they're here illegally or with sponsorship or whatever dying miserable deaths because they don't have the money to pay for treatment. That kind of viral FB status is meant to drive consciousness and buzz. Obama is losing the public option fight, and alot of it is due to the misinformation out there about what it would really mean. People get their information from their pundits and talking heads, much of which are all out lies, or they cite sources on the Internet that have no authoritative meaning. I believe in healthcare for all. Don't think I'm not a little scared, cuz I have alot wrong with me and have amazing awesome healthcare that my employer pays the bulk of. It's why I'm so thankful to still be employed. But I cannot stand the fact that I have my comfy orthotics and am walking around just fine when a comparable woman god knows where is suffering with cankles the size of Rhode Island for the simple fact that her flat feet have turned on her and now her pain is so overwhelming that she can't even walk to the corner to take the bus to her crappy-ass job washing a toilet. Soooo .... that's my deal.

We can fund the public option.
We should ensure dying people on our soil don't die in the streets.
Even if they're not here legally.
If that means I make a little less money and have to cancel my cleaning lady and stop the Starbucks addiction, then I'm ok with that.

arivecchi
09-04-2009, 12:21 PM
If that means I make a little less money and have to cancel my cleaning lady and stop the Starbucks addiction, then I'm ok with that. I am there with ya Fairy.

Naranjadia
09-04-2009, 12:50 PM
I am there with ya Fairy.

Me too!

I also some good exchanges yesterday in the comments of those statuses, so I think it did serve it's purpose of buzz, communication.

Also, it seems to be the case in our current climate, that whoever yells loudest or most extremely, gets to drive what is in the news. Doing unique things is an attempt to get attention in another way - and also show numbers. Last I heard there were over 70,000 people posting that as their status, and that was last night.

pb&j
09-04-2009, 01:02 PM
The message is annoying me because of what it implies the people putting it up think about those who don't support the current health care plan in Congress. Plus, because it is being copied and reposted, its just like spam in your box. better to make something up and say what YOU think not what someone else wrote for you.

The same words repeated over and over by many voices can be very powerful. There are many instances where people of all stripes use "canned" messages - referring to passages from the Bible, nursery rhymes, pearls of wisdom from our grandmothers, "i before e except after c," singing along at a concert.

I'm curious as to what you think people who post that statement are implying about those who don't support the health care plan. I may be incorrect, but I am assuming that you don't support the plan, so I'd be interested to hear what you think that FB status is implying about you.

ellies mom
09-04-2009, 01:11 PM
I put it on my FB status because I believe it. Sillygirl's post hits the nail on the head of why I believe it. The fact is that these are human beings. I don't want these human beings whether they're here illegally or with sponsorship or whatever dying miserable deaths because they don't have the money to pay for treatment. That kind of viral FB status is meant to drive consciousness and buzz. Obama is losing the public option fight, and alot of it is due to the misinformation out there about what it would really mean. People get their information from their pundits and talking heads, much of which are all out lies, or they cite sources on the Internet that have no authoritative meaning. I believe in healthcare for all. Don't think I'm not a little scared, cuz I have alot wrong with me and have amazing awesome healthcare that my employer pays the bulk of. It's why I'm so thankful to still be employed. But I cannot stand the fact that I have my comfy orthotics and am walking around just fine when a comparable woman god knows where is suffering with cankles the size of Rhode Island for the simple fact that her flat feet have turned on her and now her pain is so overwhelming that she can't even walk to the corner to take the bus to her crappy-ass job washing a toilet. Soooo .... that's my deal.

If that means I make a little less money and have to cancel my cleaning lady and stop the Starbucks addiction, then I'm ok with that.

:yeahthat:

Thank you Fairy for putting it so well. Personally, I found it heartening to see it plastered across my home page.

GrammyK
09-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Quote: No one should die because they cannot afford health care, no one should go broke because they get sick and no person should be denied medical care regardless of his or her immigration status. If you agree, please join us and post this as your status for the rest of today.
For immigrants, IMO firm line should be drawn on the illegal ones. They should be treated only it is emergency. My point is that it is difficult to open arms for everyone when our country's budget is already in deeply deficit and there are a lot of unemployments.
I am still not sure why pp post it on the FB. What are they trying to accomplish?

Could it be that those who are determined to KILL ANY HEATHCARE/INSURANCE REFORM, took the heartfelt quotation which includes medical care for undocumented, something that is specifically EXCLUDED from all proposed bills but is one of the FALSE RUMORS to incite people against reform, started this viral message NOT to encourage thoughfulness but specifically to take advantage of those who sincerely believe in the message TO FURTHER FREAK OUT THOSE WHO FEAR CHANGE?

Karen R

mommylamb
09-04-2009, 01:30 PM

Agreed. However, we would NOT be funding a public option. The public option, like any other health plan, would be paid for through the premiums, co-pays, and deductibles it collected. Obviously, Congress could provide a line of credit to the Treasury if it wanted to, but that's not in the legislation as it currently stands and it certainly is not one of Obama's principles. The only major difference between the public option and other private plans is that the public option wouldn't be profit motivated. It could be designed so that it would compete with private plans on a fair playing level.

Wife_and_mommy
09-04-2009, 02:12 PM

Fairy, with all due respect, most people don't have cleaning ladies or Starbucks addictions to cut out of budgets.

This board is primarily made up of higher income families who may have more give in a budget for taxes. The median income of Americans, as rich as they are simply by living in the U.S., was $50,223 in 2007. Would you say the same if that was your income?

Personally, I'd rather choose who my dollars go to than have the govn't decide, no matter my income.

Also, considering SS and Medicare will be bankrupt in the next 10-30 years, it's been nice while it's lasted but then what?

BTW, I always find it amusing to hear people say they don't mind paying more taxes. Income taxes were never meant to reach the proportions it has. Anyone is welcome to mail checks to the IRS. They might even send you a t-shirt.:ROTFLMAO:

I shouldn't have logged on this computer so you won't hear from me anymore today. Just had to throw those $.02 in. :wink2:

trales
09-04-2009, 02:15 PM
I just hope something gets passed soon, we are being crippled by our health care costs. We purchase our own plan and it is very, very expensive.

We are getting to the point where we are starting to have to put off things that should be done b/c they are just too expensive, knowing full well it will cost more later and could lead to larger, harder to treat issues. There is only so much money and at the end of the month I have to balance my budget.

mamicka
09-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Fairy, with all due respect, most people don't have cleaning ladies or Starbucks addictions to cut out of budgets.

This board is primarily made up of higher income families who may have more give in a budget for taxes. The median income of Americans, as rich as they are simply by living in the U.S., was $50,223 in 2007. Would you say the same if that was your income?

Personally, I'd rather choose who my dollars go to than have the govn't decide, no matter my income.

Also, considering SS and Medicare will be bankrupt in the next 10-30 years, it's been nice while it's lasted but then what?

BTW, I always find it amusing to hear people say they don't mind paying more taxes. Income taxes were never meant to reach the proportions it has. Anyone is welcome to mail checks to the IRS. They might even send you a t-shirt.:ROTFLMAO:

I shouldn't have logged on this computer so you won't hear from me anymore today. Just had to throw those $.02 in. :wink2:

:yeahthat: I actually found Fairy's remark quite offensive in it's assumptions.

wellyes
09-04-2009, 02:19 PM
This board is primarily made up of higher income families who may have more give in a budget for taxes. The median income of Americans, as rich as they are simply by living in the U.S., was $50,223 in 2007. Would you say the same if that was your income?That is the beauty of progressive taxation; the more you make, the higher % you pay.

Personally, I'd rather choose who my dollars go to than have the govn't decide, no matter my income.Personally I'd rather have a school system, a police force & firemen, interstate highways, a justice system, an army, disaster relief funds, national parks, licensing rules for driving, the EPA to prevent companies from dumping waste into public waterways, and the many other benefits that come from taxes than I would want that 30% of my income back! And I put reasonable health care for everyone in the same bucket as the services I've listed above.

mommylamb
09-04-2009, 02:26 PM
That is the beauty of progressive taxation; the more you make, the higher % you pay.

:yeahthat: Not to mention that no one has mentioned increasing income tax on people below $250,000.

And on the issue of "I'd rather choose where my tax money goes to than have the govt. decide," could you imagine a system like that??? So, then I get to decide that my tax $ doesn't go to fund the war in Iraq, or contracts to Haliburton, or to roads I don't drive on...

bubbaray
09-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Personally I'd rather have a school system, a police force & firemen, interstate highways, a justice system, an army, disaster relief funds, national parks, licensing rules for driving, the EPA to prevent companies from dumping waste into public waterways, and the many other benefits that come from taxes than I would want that 30% of my income back! And I put reasonable health care for everyone in the same bucket as the services I've listed above.

Unless you live in a cave, everyone benefits from gov't at some level.

moonsky
09-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Can you imagine what it's like to be in this situation? I can't imagine the patient's side of things. I only get the frustration at all the waste that takes place - money, resources, time, manpower. And I've not heard other options from the Republican side. Do they want us to let these people die in the streets? Or should we deport them, which is the same thing as a death sentence, literally they will die within a week. I don't believe that most Republicans would want that, except in some of my darker hours. But the current rhetoric that you cite is, forgive me, either willfully blind or dangerously naive.

How's about better screening at the boarders and really enforces punishments to anyone/corporations who hire an illegal immigrant? If some other countries can do it, why can't the US? Just don't wait till they become problems.

moonsky
09-04-2009, 02:46 PM

How's about better screening and really enforces punishments to anyone/corporations who hire an illegal immigrant? If some other countries can do it, why can't the US? Just don't wait till they become problems.

maestramommy
09-04-2009, 02:46 PM
I actually put it on my FB status yesterday;)

I did so because I agree with the spirit behind the statement. But I make no assumptions about people who disagree with the proposed health plan. To me it's a very complicated issue, and I still have not had a chance to look at it myself. I just know that we can't continue on the way we are.

maestramommy
09-04-2009, 02:49 PM
How's about better screening and really enforces punishments to anyone/corporations who hire an illegal immigrant? If some other countries can do it, why can't the US? Just don't wait till they become problems.

Well according to what I saw on "Food, inc," there are a lot of connections between some of these mega corporations and the upper levels of govt. I was pretty shocked to see who used to be connected with some of the largest food companies in this country.

arivecchi
09-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Millions of immigrants are here already and they are not going anywhere. If I were an immigrant in another country and needed healthcare, I would sure hope I would have access to it if it was an emergency situation.

Wife_and_mommy
09-04-2009, 02:57 PM
:yeahthat: Not to mention that no one has mentioned increasing income tax on people below $250,000.

And on the issue of "I'd rather choose where my tax money goes to than have the govt. decide," could you imagine a system like that??? So, then I get to decide that my tax $ doesn't go to fund the war in Iraq, or contracts to Haliburton, or to roads I don't drive on...

I recall either Obama or Gibbs mentioning a few months ago that it wasn't off the table to lower that maximum. Regardless, prices will be raised for all of us. A family having less money for Starbucks and cleaning ladies is very different than a family having to eat differently or not being able to save for retirement. I'd like to meet someone who truly believes that anyone who makes less than $250k won't be affected financially.

Yes, we do all benefit from govn't. We darn well should. We can afford to give excellent healthcare to politicians because of our taxes. There simply isn't enough money for all of us to have it that nice.

I recall reading in the Sunday paper this past week that if all the wealth in all the world was distributed evenly we'd all get our fair share of $9000. Yes, nine thousand. Who wants to throw theirs in the pot first?

moonsky
09-04-2009, 03:02 PM

wellyes
09-04-2009, 03:03 PM
I'd like to meet someone who truly believes that anyone who makes less than $250k won't be affected financially.

Well my FIL who is dying as he waits for a bone-marrow transplant probably wouldn't be dealing with bankruptcy paperwork for medical bills right now if the reforms make it through.

And what happened to him could happen to ANY of us. Any of us. His condition isn't lifestyle-related (no obesity, smoking, etc) and he does have decent private insurance. It just isn't enough.

writermama
09-04-2009, 03:06 PM
I would rather take the money my family now spends in health insurance premiums that fund outrageous CEO slaries and obscene profits and INVEST it in a health CARE system that provides fair, affordable healthcare access to my family, my friends, my children's friends, my neighbors, my community ... and even to people who would not offer the same basic humanity to me.

Fairy
09-04-2009, 04:52 PM
:yeahthat: I actually found Fairy's remark quite offensive in it's assumptions.

I didn't assume anything. You and Wife_and_Mommy missed my point. I guess I didn't use good enough examples when trying to be witty. FairyFail.

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of the healtchare proposal. But I know the basics, and I know that unless you're really not paying attention that it's plain as day that this is going to bring alot of change. Which is always scarier than the the status quo, even if the status quo sucks.

To me, it is more important that my fellow human beings do not suffer in ways similar to what Katie described than that those more fortunate that have private healthcare get to keep their status quo, whatever that is. I'm not saying only the cushy people will have to give up stuff, like incidentals taht make us feel good. I, personally, am willing to live in whatever world will be so that healthcare is available to all. It is not ok with me that there are children out there with asthma that have no healthcare cuz their parents can't get their act together (that's just ONE example, I'm not making blanket assumptions).

There are people in every tax bracket that can't afford healthcare (let's leave out the billionaires, I'm not talking about that). And I think it's wrong. I want it fixed. If that means I have to change something in my life, then I'm willing to work within that. For me it might be Starbucks. For others it might mean where they shop for clothes. I am willing to change so that suffering can be addressed.

I know I'm going to be labeled "socialist" with that.

Fairy
09-04-2009, 04:53 PM
I would rather take the money my family now spends in health insurance premiums that fund outrageous CEO slaries and obscene profits and INVEST it in a health CARE system that provides fair, affordable healthcare access to my family, my friends, my children's friends, my neighbors, my community ... and even to people who would not offer the same basic humanity to me.

Very well-said.

shawnandangel
09-04-2009, 06:25 PM
...thinks that no one should die because they cannot outrun zombies, and no one should go broke buying shotgun shells. If you agree, please post this as your status for the rest of the day. (But none of you will have this problem, because you all have created your Zombie Escape Plan, RIGHT??)

TonFirst
09-04-2009, 07:39 PM
I've been seeing the viral (heh) status update pop up frequently in my feed (and also the zombie one). I don't disagree with the statement, but I do think it's both a little naive (because if only the situation, if you really want to get into the intricacies of legislation and politics and insurance and, really, anything comprehensive, were that simple) and a little smug.

It's like this uber-smug bumper sticker I spied on the back of a Sienna a few weeks ago: "All children behave as well as they are treated." I appreciate the sentiment, but hey, smug Sienna mom? As effing if!

Also, I think housecleaners should be left out of the situation entirely. I mean, many households are an economy unto themselves. Yeah, It won't make a dent in Starbucks' bottom line if I give up my weekly latte, but it will absolutely impact the family of the ladies who clean my house every two weeks if I decide that they're the incidental that needs to be cut from my budget.

Sillygirl
09-04-2009, 08:14 PM

So. . . you choose to deport my patients? Maybe it's easier when you haven't met them, to sit there and decide it's too expensive to keep these people alive.

By golly, there are death panels in the proposals! Someone alert Ms. Palin.

Bethann31
09-04-2009, 08:17 PM
I put it as my status because I am currently there. I am in bankruptcy over medical bills, my husband is uninsured due to a layoff and we can't get him any type of insurance (even if we could afford it, which we can't) because he had an attack of tachycardia once and has had asthma and surgery on his ankle. Right now, he has a horrible cold/flu and I can't afford to take him to the doctor. So yeah, I'm terrified and I think the status is appropriate.

wellyes
09-04-2009, 08:25 PM
it will absolutely impact the family of the ladies who clean my house every two weeks if I decide that they're the incidental that needs to be cut from my budget.I can understand a principled stance against taxation for services... I disagree with it, but I understand the view. I'm less sympathetic to the argument that it will HURT people poor people to have this legislation pass.

I suspect that many house cleaners, including my own, do not have health insurance. I sincerely doubt that service workers / small business owners will be impacted by any tax increase. I think a portion of it will come from families like ours..... our household income is in the low six figures, which is solidly middle class in my neighborhood. I can afford $180/month for a housecleaner. I'd be really surprised if an Obama tax increase will make a difference on that front. The people more likely to be impacted are the wealthy, like my boss, who makes (roughly) $150k and is married to a man with a similar income. They will certainly pay a higher burden than us. But rest assured, they will not be scrubbing their own toilets anytime soon. So, don't worry too much about the cleaning ladies out there.

arivecchi
09-04-2009, 08:51 PM
I put it as my status because I am currently there. I am in bankruptcy over medical bills, my husband is uninsured due to a layoff and we can't get him any type of insurance (even if we could afford it, which we can't) because he had an attack of tachycardia once and has had asthma and surgery on his ankle. Right now, he has a horrible cold/flu and I can't afford to take him to the doctor. So yeah, I'm terrified and I think the status is appropriate. I'm so sorry you are under so much stress. It's not right.

I don't think anyone should be denied healthcare and proactively dealing with the issue will be a lot more efficient than providing repeated emergency care as noted above.

jent
09-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Personally I'd rather have a school system, a police force & firemen, interstate highways, a justice system, an army, disaster relief funds, national parks, licensing rules for driving, the EPA to prevent companies from dumping waste into public waterways, and the many other benefits that come from taxes than I would want that 30% of my income back! And I put reasonable health care for everyone in the same bucket as the services I've listed above.

Well said!

kijip
09-04-2009, 09:25 PM
F

It has been up until a few years back and in a pricey city, and yes, I still agree with Hilary. And I have never felt particularly burdened by our tax load even though as a couple we have never made a small enough amount to see the EITC.

writermama
09-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Yeah, It won't make a dent in Starbucks' bottom line if I give up my weekly latte, but it will absolutely impact the family of the ladies who clean my house every two weeks if I decide that they're the incidental that needs to be cut from my budget.

Funny this came up as an issue. I just had to cut my housecleaners (once a month) from our family budget to pay for the 20% increase in our health insurance premiums this year. I'm wondering what we'll have to cut next year when they go up again.