PDA

View Full Version : Laptop or notebook?

Nooknookmom
09-04-2009, 05:32 PM
DD (14) wants a laptop. They're expensive. MIL suggested a notebook (?) w/ internet acess. She said that they come w/ word & DD can use it for homework. I know that there is no DVD and alot of the accessories are add-ons. That's OK. I just want her to be able to type docs, save them & print them out for school. Plus the wi-fi would be cool when she goes for coffee.

I haven't kept *that* up to date w/ all the new gadgets, can someone who has all the techie info guide me??

TIA

KrisM
09-04-2009, 05:48 PM
I think she means a netbook.

I have both a laptop and a netbook. My netbook did not come with Word, so if that's important, be sure to check!

Pros:
super light weight - like 2 lbs.
great battery life
wifi

Cons:
small screen
lack of applications
wifi

I put wifi on both because it's only good where you have it. I have a Verizon air card that I use if I'm not home. It's an additional $60/month to have it. But, I can use the web anywhere that Verizon has coverage. If you think she'd like the wifi, check in your area where she'd be able to get it.

The better, IMO, netbooks are still $400. You can get cheaper ones at TRU even. Most of the cheaper ones have smaller hard drives. The smallest hard drives are usually solid-state drives, which means they don't spin, which is good for something tossed around :). Mine has a regular spinning hard drive with an accelerometer that stops it from spinning when there is a lot of motion to the netbook. I've had no issues with it, but I'm not 14 either.

I use my laptop at home, unless a kid is using it. I use my netbook on the go, so I don't mind lack of Word, Excel, etc. My netbook has a full size keyboard (Toshiba), which makes it nice to use.

They definitely have different purposes in my life. Not sure which I'd get for a 14 year old.

codex57
09-04-2009, 06:11 PM
I dunno. Netbooks are so tiny, the keyboards aren't standard size and the screens are super small too. For light casual web surfing, sure. For doing a school paper on, I'd rather buy a cheap full sized NOTEbook/laptop (same thing) even if it is kinda bulky. The real basic laptops don't cost much more than a netbook.

schums
09-04-2009, 06:20 PM
A friend of mine has a netbook, and it's ok. She has had lots of problems surfing with public wifi tho -- it goes SUPER slow. We know it's her netbook, because my laptop will be surfing along pretty fast and her's just isn't going anywhere (trying to load the same pages, etc.)

wellyes
09-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Netbooks are tiny & annoying. I have one & regret getting it.

My advice is to keep an eye on Slickdeals. There are frequently deals on decent full-sized laptops for under $400.

codex57
09-04-2009, 06:30 PM
www.fatwallet.com is good too.

Andi98989
09-04-2009, 07:25 PM
We have a netbook (Eee PC 1000) and I love it! I use it all the time. This week I've been working from home and have even used it for that; works like a charm - and this coming from someone used to having 4 monitors at work. LOL

They keyboard is smaller, but it was pretty easy for me to get used to. I type on it at about the same speed I do a full size keyboard. It also has a built in web cam and a media card reader. I've never had an issue with it running slow, and we've run both a Mac and Windows OS on it.

If what you get doesn't come with Word, you can install OpenOffice for free.

ETA - my DH is a total computer geek and would not have bought this netbook if he didn't think it was a quality product.

KrisM
09-04-2009, 07:52 PM
I dunno. Netbooks are so tiny, the keyboards aren't standard size and the screens are super small too. For light casual web surfing, sure. For doing a school paper on, I'd rather buy a cheap full sized NOTEbook/laptop (same thing) even if it is kinda bulky. The real basic laptops don't cost much more than a netbook.

There are some netbooks with full size keyboards. Mine is. I have the Toshiba N205 and it's easy to type on. The tab, enter, shift, etc keys are smaller, but the letters are the same. The function keys are also smaller, but I don't use those as much.

If you push F11 (the function key), the IE window is maximized. Try it :). Push it again to return to normal. This really helps browsing on a small screen.

sunshine873
09-04-2009, 09:07 PM
I have a laptop, so I may be biased. :)

Sure, right now a netbook may be enough for her. But think forward a year or two. Eventually you may wish for more applications and abilities. You/she may want it to be able to play DVDs, etc. I think I'd rather find a good deal on a somewhat inexpensive laptop.

ha98ed14
09-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Just wanted to say that I bought the Toshiba 205 on your (and a few web) reviews. I'd been looking at them for school and Amazon had the black one for $345. Not as sexy looking as the others, but $50 was not worth it for me just to look sexy. No computer is going to make *ME* look any different.:ROTFLMAO:

littlebethany
09-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Just wanted to say that I bought the Toshiba 205 on your (and a few web) reviews. I'd been looking at them for school and Amazon had the black one for $345. Not as sexy looking as the others, but $50 was not worth it for me just to look sexy. No computer is going to make *ME* look any different.:ROTFLMAO:

I agree no computer will make you look different, the extra $50 isnt worth the color.

Nooknookmom
09-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Ok, just remembered I started this thread, lol. Too crazy around here! I was also thinking that a decent laptop would be around the same costs as a netbook (not notebook Trina, netbook!)

After all the add-ons down the line, I'd be better off w/ a laptop. So how does the wifi thing work??? We have Verizon FiOs and I have no idea if I'd have to pay more monthly for in home service. Our local coffee shop has free wifi w/ purchase, so that's cool.

If I were single, I'd be sooooooo nerdy and have every cool computer gadget! Now, I'm out of the loop, DH is completely clueless and never got my inner *get smart* gadget thing.

codex57
09-10-2009, 05:32 PM
You buy a wireless router and you're pretty much good to go. You can get a decent one for $30 online. Possibly less.

Just make sure the laptop you buy has a built in wireless card. Nearly all do nowadays, even the cheap ones. May not necessarily be the N standard, but b/g is more than adequate.

Clarity
09-10-2009, 09:10 PM
I really wanted a netbook but I talked to our tech desk one day at work and was told not to bother. The main concern was that technology updates so quickly and netbooks cannot really be upgraded.

codex57
09-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Err, laptops suffer pretty much the same problem. You wanna upgrade? Buy a desktop. Otherwise, consider your configuration to be "it" for the lifespan of the device. Realistically, at best, you can just upgrade the ram and hard drive of the laptop. I'm guessing it would be about the same for a netbook.