PDA

View Full Version : For those of you that have a separate playroom

essnce629
09-04-2009, 05:45 PM
What do you keep in your child's actual bedroom?

We just moved into a new house and are making the third bedroom into a playroom. Should all the toys go in the playroom and none in his room? Keep all his books in his bedroom or split them up? I think we'll get a desk for his bedroom eventually, so that should fill some space. Maybe I'll put Conner's toys with all the tiny pieces in his bedroom, so they won't be a hazard in the playroom once Parker starts moving around (he's only 3 months old right now). We have the Nilo table (that is now a Lego table 100% of the time) in the playroom right now, but that may have to move to Conner's bedroom once Parker starts pulling up since it's just one big choking hazard.

KrisM
09-04-2009, 05:49 PM
At a young age, nothing. Now, some things. DS1 has all his marble runs and Legos in his room, as they are not allowed near DS2. DD has her My Little Pony stuff in her room because she doesn't like DS2 to play with them :).

Most things go in the playroom though.

cono0507
09-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Most toys are in the playroom but there are a few items in each child's room -
DD (age 2) has some books, shape sorter, magna doodle and some dolls.
DS (age 4) has his fireman dollhouse, books, a bin of bristle blocks and a bin of duplos.

DS plays in his room sometimes after bedtime. Also, they play up there when I have to get some work done upstairs. Our playroom is in the basement. If the playroom were upstairs, they'd probably just have books in their rooms.

SnuggleBuggles
09-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Ds1 has all the toys little brother can't get into in his room, like Legos and Hotwheels. All along we have had some toys in his room though. And books too. All stuffed animals are in there.

Ds2 has no toys in his room but he is only 21mo and doesn't play in his room alone. I'm sure some toys will end up in there eventually.

Beth

hillview
09-04-2009, 09:12 PM
DS #1 has a ton of books and some toys including geotrax in his room. DS #2 has books and some toys (not a bunch). Toy room has kitchen, train set, train table and some books (2 baskets) and other misc toys including 10000 cars/trucks, legos etc.

Mish mash?
/hillary

Bella's Mommy
09-05-2009, 09:04 AM
We are lucky enough to have a huge playroom where ALL our toys are stored as well as a bookshelf with "play books" like musical books, activity books, etc. The bedroom also has a bookshelf of books to read at night before bed and that is it (aside from a stuffed animal on the bed). We have found that any toys in the bedroom invaribly want to be played with before bed. In our 7 yr olds bedroom, he has a desk with school supplies to do his homework after school. But again, no toys, tv or gameboy are not allowed in the bedroom. It was a process deciding what to allow and not allow in the bedroom, but now it works peacefully. Enjoy getting everything organized!

BeachBum
09-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Our playroom is our "formal" living room which is downstairs and our bedrooms are upstairs. We have a small bin of toys for the babies (7 mo) in their room. DS (age 4), has big boy toys in his room. Toys that are safe for everyone are downstairs in the playroom. Books rotate, and are spread in both bedrooms and the playroom. Most are in a bookcase in the hall outside of the bedrooms though.

goldenpig
09-05-2009, 10:16 AM
In my daughter's bedroom (which is on the small side), we have her crib, dresser with clothes, changing table, rocking chair, table/lamp with a few bedtime books, and chest with all her stuffed animals. That's it, all her toys are in her playroom (or upstairs in the living room). It's nice because the bedroom is peaceful and just for sleep. Now we're having another and will eventually have to move her into the playroom with a twin bed so we can put the baby in the nursery. I'm so worried that when we do all she'll want to do is play with her toys all night! How do you get kids to sleep when they're surrounded by all their toys?
You can also buy a tall bookshelf (we have the Land of Nod 8-cube bookcase) and keep small toys on the high shelves if you are concerned about the baby grabbing them.

carolinamama
09-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Our playroom is quite large and dedicated to only that. We have no toys in DS1's room - only books. He has trouble going to sleep sometimes and would be out of bed playing if we had toys. That said, I do anticipate keeping more in there as he acquires smaller toys that DS2 cannot be around. At this point, he does take toys into his room occasionally if DS2 is bothering him, but then they are brought back to the bonus room/playroom to be stored. DS2 doesn't have any toys in his room either, just books.

C99
09-06-2009, 12:37 AM
Not that much. Primarily because these rooms are SMALL. DD's room is 7x9. I keep mostly books and clothes in the kids' rooms, but the boys' room has more space for toys - some Matchbox cars, the PlayMobil, Plan toys, and some random things that find their way upstairs. DS1's desk is also in his room, so he has art/school supplies in his room right now. DD keeps some dolls and art supplies in her room.

kayte
09-06-2009, 01:42 PM
DD's dollhouse (on a rolling cart) lives in her closet and is played with in her room (but sometimes in other rooms too). Her games are in her closet too, though I am considering moving a few upstairs to the tv room for football season.

She has one small bookcase in her room. On it are her two baby dolls and all their things--a basket of diapers, a basket of clothes, a basket of bottles. In addition there is a basket with random role playing items--like her play camera, keys, wallet, calculator --which some days is an ipod) and a basket with playsilks.

Her dress up clothes are in a rolling draw under bed.

Everything else lives in other rooms of our house -- art in the art room; montessori projects and musical instruments on a shelves in our family room; play kitchen and play food in our kitchen and pantry; blocks, legos , our light table, animals, puzzles, etc in our upstairs media/playroom.

And there is a basket of books in almost every room of our house.

shishamo
09-07-2009, 10:18 PM
We are lucky enough to have a huge playroom where ALL our toys are stored as well as a bookshelf with "play books" like musical books, activity books, etc. The bedroom also has a bookshelf of books to read at night before bed and that is it (aside from a stuffed animal on the bed). We have found that any toys in the bedroom invaribly want to be played with before bed. In our 7 yr olds bedroom, he has a desk with school supplies to do his homework after school. But again, no toys, tv or gameboy are not allowed in the bedroom. It was a process deciding what to allow and not allow in the bedroom, but now it works peacefully. Enjoy getting everything organized!

Ours is very similiar set up to this pp, except my 9year old DS has his legos in his room and my 7 year old DD has her American Girl Doll stuff in her room in addition to the books. We actually have bulk of the books in the playroom as well since it doubles as a library for us.