PDA

View Full Version : Tips to help transition DS' bedtime to DH

jgenie
09-04-2009, 09:07 PM
DS is 19 months old and with the exception of two nights when I weaned him I have always done bedtime. With the new baby coming I know we need to transition DS to let DH put him to sleep at night at least occasionally. Anyone BTDT? Tips or tricks? DH tried to put him to sleep tonight and he cried hysterically so after 10 minutes I went in to take over. Should I just leave the house and let them figure it out? TIA

hillview
09-04-2009, 10:10 PM
I think you have 2 choices:
1) Leave the house and let them sort it out. Leave the house before it is bed time and stay out til DC is asleep.
2) Wait and try again in another month (you still have some time) kids do change.

It may take 2-3 (even 4) nights but it will work, regardless of when you try it. I agree it is a good idea to do this well before DC #2 arrives. FWIW, with DS #1 who was ROCKED TO SLEEP EVERY NIGHT til he was almost 2, we did CIO at 12 months and it was horrid, we did it again a few months before DS #2 was born and it took 2 nights with not too much crying. So this is different but similar IMO.

GOOD LUCK!
/hillary

bubbaray
09-04-2009, 10:12 PM
The key is that you can not go in an rescue him, otherwise he will learn to cry until you do, KWIM?

I would have your DH take over completely before the baby comes. Plan on keeping to that once the baby arrives -- it will give you much needed time either on your own or with the baby.

I had to do that by leaving the house while DH put DD#1 to bed on his own. It only took a couple of nights.

justincase
09-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Another vote for leaving the house. I always had to work in the evenings once to twice a week so DS had no choice but to get used to DH putting him to bed solo. I complained at the time about having to work and "missing" bedtime... but boy, was I glad they had their own comfy routine when DD arrived. It'll only be painful the first couple of times. GL!

baileygirl
09-05-2009, 02:47 AM
I vote for leaving the house too...but you might have him try to be more involved with the bedtime routine and then have him put ds to bed after a couple of weeks.