PDA

View Full Version : anyone a babywearer?

tekins
09-04-2009, 10:42 PM
I am very interested in doing this with baby #2 but could use a great website for references and basically where to start. What r the reliable stores, suggestions, experiences, anything!

lkarp
09-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Checkout the BBB subforum Places to go: Carriers.

thebabywearer.com is also a great place to get started. If you have a chance to borrow some different carriers I would definitely try before you buy. I know many prefer some carriers to others.

SnuggleBuggles
09-04-2009, 10:54 PM
A great, though somewhat overwhelming, site:
http://thebabywearer.com/

There are so many fantastic carriers out there. I personally found a local baby wearing meeting to be the most helpful thing. I was able to go and try on a variety of carriers, speak with other moms and just really get to sample many carriers out there.

Beth

deannanb
09-04-2009, 11:23 PM
:wavey:
thebabywearer like others have said
wearyourbaby.com (some nice how-to videos)

and find a local baby wearing group
some of the carriers do take some time to learn

when DS was first born I used www.mybabynest.com (similar to the www.babyktan.com) - I really liked this over the Bjorn which I had used with DS2

I have a Moby wrap - and use my Maya Wrap on a daily basis! (www.mayawrap.com)

cono0507
09-04-2009, 11:26 PM
I was! I liked thebabywearer.com

I used a ring sling (Maya Ring Sling) initially with DD and then used a fleece pouch (the KKAFP) and some other pouches (a Hotsling and a Comfy Joey). I also used a Pikkolo carrier to carry her on my back as well. I'm not sure how I could have survived those first few months with DD while taking care of my 2.5yo DS without babywearing! :)

cdlamis
09-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Thebabywearer.com is a great site- I agree! And yes, it can get overwhelming- not the information or the basics of babywearing but the sheer number of choices out there!

That said, I LOVE my Mei Tai carrier (I have the Mei Tai baby) and use it almost every day.

Good luck! I love carrying my babies and they love it too!

goldenpig
09-05-2009, 02:04 AM
Ergo fan here. Wore my baby all the time--hardly ever used the stroller. Still wearing her in the Ergo a lot even at age 2. What's nice about babywearing is it frees your hands to carry other things, do housework or errands, walk around etc. And the baby likes snuggling close to you--helps them relax and fall asleep. Is there a baby store near you that you can visit and try on a few carriers? Preferably a smaller store with knowledgeable salespeople, not the big Babies R Us/Target type stores. Also good is if you can ask your friends who have carriers or your local mom's group or the local babywearing group for advice or to try on their carriers. The Ergo/Beco and the others that were mentioned above are supposed to be much better (more comfortable for you and better for baby) than the Bjorn/Snugli type front-facing carriers. Oh the other difference is that some are soft slings or wraps that you tie around you (Hotslings/meitais etc), others are more structured soft carriers with buckles (Ergo/Beco etc.), so you can see which type you prefer. Good luck, I think you'll love it!

kijip
09-05-2009, 02:13 AM
We loved the Moby wrap here and now the Ergo with our 8 month old son.

Reyadawnbringer
09-05-2009, 08:30 AM
Still wearing mt 10mo old son at 22lbs in a Moby. We love it! :jammin:

okinawama
09-05-2009, 10:54 AM
We would have been sunk the first few months if I hadn't worn by baby. It truly was a sanity savor for me. I don't wrap as often as I used to, but a sling and a soft structured carrier are still an essential for us.

brittone2
09-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Babywearing was sooooo helpful to us. I wore both kids and it was a great experience.

I liked different slings for different purposes. My maya is the easiest for me to nurse in. I loved my Ergo (bought that one when I had my 2nd). I used my Mei Tei quite a bit, and a Moby during the newborn phase.

Definitely network w/ a local babywearing group if you can find one so you can get tips and try out different slings.

hellbennt
09-05-2009, 11:40 AM
I love babywearing!

there's a link from my sig to a post about babywearing:love-retry:

I loved using the moby, hotslings, kangaroo korner cotton pouch, oopa baby ring slings, babyhawk mei tai, Kozy mei tai, Yamo (like an Ergo or Patapum or Beco)...

I also say to go meet others to see first-hand!
on TBW there's a Babywearers Near You Forum- I suggest joining
www.thebabywearer.com (http://www.thebabywearer.com) and then checking out that forum first...

ENJOY!!:cheerleader1:

wellyes
09-05-2009, 11:46 AM
TheBabyWearer is scary at first but it all makes sense pretty quickly.

Best thing to do is to find a local babywearing group or a local chi-chi baby shop - they usually have sample carriers for trying on.

We have a moby for newborns, Ergo for out & about, and a couple of mei tais for home. I love them & use one almost every day.

maestramommy
09-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Yup, thebabywearer.com is the place to go! Everything you want to know about babywearing and carriers is probably on there. People are very nice about answering your questions. I'm on my third kid with babywearing, and it's all due to them;):heartbeat:

cheri
09-05-2009, 05:28 PM
I'm still wearing my 13 month old in a Beco. Love it!

nov04
09-05-2009, 07:07 PM
I looooooved wearing the heart2heart padded ring sling with my second. Our first few months together went so much easier because I could run after dd1 and still look after dd2. You'll be so glad you looked into bw.

3blackcats
09-05-2009, 09:36 PM
I have worn DD pretty much every day since she has been born. Buy yourself a nice carrier, TheBabyWearer has a For Sale or Trade section if you are worried about cost.