PDA

View Full Version : S/O New Hairstyle: Have you ever had your hair straightened/relaxed?

randomkid
09-04-2009, 11:07 PM
I've had the same hairstyle, more or less, for many years now. I so want to change it, but I have "issues" with my hair. My stylist, whom I trust, and I were talking at my last appt. about options. The problem is that my hair is very thick, it's wavy/curly in the back and at the bottom, but straight on the top. Also, it's much thicker on the left than on the right. When I blow dry my hair, it's straight, but gets frizzy or starts to curl later in the day. So, I use a curling iron (I have a lot of layering in my hair) to smooth it out and get the wave under control. Because of this, my stylist has to custom cut my hair - like one spot in the back has more curl at the root, so if she cuts straight across, that area looks shorter, so she leaves that one spot a little longer. It's a pain for her and for me. The left side of my hair is always hanging in my face or looks really big because there is so much hair there. She thins it, but we have to be careful with how often she does that or it really screws things up. If the left side of my head was the same as the right, I'd be all set!

I'd like to go shorter, but am not sure I really like how I look with shorter hair. Anyway, my stylist recommended straightening or relaxing my hair in order to simplify my cut and style. My hesitation is that when I curl my hair, it holds. I can get up the next day and just do some touch up and go. The only time it really takes more work is when I have to wash it. Also, my hair grows fast. Even with a medium cut, I have to go every 5 weeks for a cut. I don't want to get into processing my hair every couple of months.

Any experience with this? Good? Bad? Would you do it again or still do it?

lchang25000
09-04-2009, 11:36 PM
I've had the Korean straight perm called "magic straight" a few times and it lasts up to one year each time. It's pricy at about $200 (includes haircut), but well worth it. My hair is thick and frizzy and this is the only thing that has made my hair silky straight without having to use hair products and a flat iron. The only negative is that it's hard to find a place that does this. I had no problem finding a place since I used to live in LA and there are tons of Korean salons there that offer this treatment. Diff. story where I live now.

elektra
09-05-2009, 01:35 AM
I used to do it several years ago and loved the results. It was wash and wear, and it was so silky smooth straight! I had it that way for maybe 2 years, but then ended up missing my wavy hair and so I let it grow out.
I would go to a Japanese place in an area of LA that had a large Japanese American population (Gardena) where you had to point to a number on a sort of menu that was all in Japanese. I heard about all of it from work girlfriend who told me which number to pick.
My hair did get a little "fuzzy" at the roots after a few months so that may be a problem for you if your hair grows so fast. Also, if you dye or highlight your hair, the treatment can really overprocess it. Minimal highllights should be fine though.
It's also pretty expensive. When I went, I think it was $180-$200 and that was cheap compared to some people I knew who were having that type of thing done.
But if the cost isn't an issue, I would go for it. It's only hair you know? If you hate it you can always grow it out.
I seriously loved having such straight and low maintenance hair.

doberbrat
09-05-2009, 08:27 AM
I get mine done 3-4x a year. its a 'reg' straightener I pay $120 including the cut/set etc.

I have extremely extremely thick curly hair but its not 'kinky' iykwim. just tons of friz. I really need to go to a place that understands the texture of my hair and doesnt overprocess it.

I dont wear it straight though. I'd still have to dry it straight and thats work. I wash and wear and it ends up wavy or w/manageable curls w/o frizz.

amandabea
09-05-2009, 09:09 AM
I've had the Korean straight perm called "magic straight" a few times and it lasts up to one year each time. It's pricy at about $200 (includes haircut), but well worth it. My hair is thick and frizzy and this is the only thing that has made my hair silky straight without having to use hair products and a flat iron. The only negative is that it's hard to find a place that does this. I had no problem finding a place since I used to live in LA and there are tons of Korean salons there that offer this treatment. Diff. story where I live now.

:yeahthat:

I just had mine done a few weeks ago for the second time. The first one lasted about 11 months! I love it - so easy to just wash & wear. I go to a Korean salon in LA and I will do it again and do recommend it to others. Only thing is, you really need to "want" straight hair bc it is very straight.

Globetrotter
09-05-2009, 01:12 PM
I have considered this, but are you saying it's not a good idea if I dye my hair? I do dye my hair to cover the grey (at Aveda, if that makes a difference).

Two of my friends do it, and they look great! IN fact, I was wondering how one of them looks so good with a newborn at home, then I realized it was because of her HAIR. That's usually the part that is a mess when you don't have time!