PDA

View Full Version : What a day! Could use P & PT ... (long)

becca_g
09-04-2009, 11:36 PM
At 31+ weeks and was going in for routine OB appointment today. Being monitored closely for several preexisting conditions, but overall everything has been fine so far.

I woke up not feeling well with n/v. DH most likely still contagious with bad cold/cough I brought home last week (unfortunately, we both had asthma flare-ups as well), so we decided he should stay home.

Started having abdominal "discomfort" while driving to appointment ... thought it might be DS moving around. OB asks how many times this has happened, and when I tell her 10-15 times in last hour, she sends me to hospital for monitoring and--no big surprise--I was having contractions.

After a couple of bags of IV fluids and no improvement, contractions finally stopped after shot of terbutaline. Although not in true early labor, hospital OB concerned enough that I am on "couch rest" until I can speak with my regular OB on Tuesday and am only allowed to work from home next week.

I travel extensively for work although had planned to start slowing down this month anyway before stopping travel altogether. By that I mean a flight to Pittsburgh the week after next with driving back-and-forth between Pittsburgh and Cleveland for 3 days followed by a 4-hour train trip to NJ for 4 days the following week. I had been traveling almost every week since April until this past week, so believe it or not, only 2 trips this month is definitely slowing down. When not traveling, I had multiple drives of an hour or so each way scheduled this month as well.

Not surprising I ended up at the hospital today.

All travel will most likely be stopped at this point although I'll know more on Tuesday. Of course I want to do what's best for DS, but there's only so much work I can do from home before I will have to go on leave. I was hoping that would be mid-late October because I would most likely be able to take a longer leave (between short term disability and 2009/2010 vacation). If I take leave earlier, I may have a gap at the end of the year where I have to go back to work before I can start my 2010 vacation.

Unfortunately, because my husband is a full-time student, I can't afford to take any unpaid leave.

On the other hand, the travel was definitely starting to wear on me, and I kept my fingers crossed that I wouldn't go into PTL on a plane/train.

In the bigger scheme, the most important thing is that the baby is fine, and at least for now I am not in PTL. However, the hospital OB said to take this as a serious warning that I need to slow down, which I am definitely planning to do.

In the meantime, any P & PT would be much appreciated that I am able to make it to term and that everything with the work situation turns out O.K.

Thanks!

stefani
09-04-2009, 11:43 PM
Becca, sending you :grouphug: and P & PT.

Take care of yourself (and DS).

gatorsmom
09-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Lots of P and pt coming your way. Definitely rest as much as you can. If you have to do some work, do the minimum and have your DH do everything else- laundry, grocery shopping, etc. You want that baby to stay in there as long as possible. When I was pregnant with the twins, my OB said to drink as much water as possible and to lay on my left side with my feet up as much as possible. Come home from work and take your place on the sofa immediately, if you can!

:hug:. I"m sure that was scary today. big hugs.

Snow mom
09-04-2009, 11:47 PM
I hope everything will work out with your job and leave but you are right to think more about your health and the health of your LO. When you are smelling your babies little head or rocking him to sleep or attending his high school graduation I'm sure you won't be thinking about how you wished you were able to continue to travel for work this last planned month (sorry...feeling nostalgic after spending the evening with folks who are sending their youngest off to college tomorrow...) Sending lots of PT that this was just a light warning and that you will have a smooth rest of your pregnancy and are able to stay off mandatory rest.

shawnandangel
09-05-2009, 12:07 AM
Sending lots of Prayers your way!!!

Kitten007
09-05-2009, 12:38 AM
Sending P & PT!!! Little one...keep baking not done yet!!!!!

katydid1971
09-05-2009, 02:51 AM
:hug: P & PT going your way.

sunshine873
09-05-2009, 08:09 AM
Your body and DS are sending you a message, and judging from your post you're listening. So - take this opportunity to actually rest! If all goes well and you make it to term, 9 weeks from now you'll wish you had done it when you could! :) Sending P & PT.

Pennylane
09-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Sending lots of P & PT your way!

Ann

ThreeofUs
09-05-2009, 08:31 AM
P&PT coming to you! Be good to yourself and your DS!

amandabea
09-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Sending P&PT your way. Take it easy - only 9 weeks to go.

BabyMine
09-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Sending P&PT your way. You won't know anything until Tuesday so just relax. ( I know easier said than done)

JTsMom
09-05-2009, 10:09 AM
:hug: Good thoughts coming your way.

swrc00
09-05-2009, 10:24 AM
P & PT coming your way!!! :grouphug:

MamaMolly
09-05-2009, 02:30 PM
P&PT on the way. Take care of yourself. I understand, if you aren't used to it, it is really hard to slow down. But you really sound like you are making great decisions for DS. Best of luck for the next few weeks!

becca_g
09-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone.

Back at the hospital at 4 a.m. this morning for more contractions. Doctor concerned I was in PTL this time, but after more testing and meds, contractions stopped and able to come home this afternoon.

Baby doing very well. On the bright side, he got so worked up from the meds that he turned and is no longer breech, which he has been all along. Meds I've been given so far very safe for baby and have side benefit of being helpful for my asthma.

Will be taking it very easy from here on out with no more travel. Will find out on Tuesday if I will be allowed to work from home for awhile longer or if OB will want me to go ahead and take leave.

At this point, just grateful everything under control for the time being.

Continued P & PT much appreciated.

justincase
09-05-2009, 07:46 PM
P+PT coming your way! Take good care... :hug:

jgenie
09-05-2009, 08:09 PM
:hug: P&PT coming your way. Hope your little one stays put for another 9 weeks.

Swimfreak78
09-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Thinking of you. Best wishes for a safe 9 weeks before you meet your little one.

kochh2
09-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Hang in there... try to find the silver lining in this!! and remember, it is all for the well being of your little angel!! Your job better be understanding, the money stuff can't be a big worry, or, don't let it worry you now... focus on your growing family and do whatever it takes!!!

MamaKath
09-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Hang in there! Lots of p&pt coming your way. Take it easy and stay hydrated!!! I've done bedrest, it isn't fun, but even that passes quickly. You only have 8 weeks or so left and then you'll be holding your precious sweetheart.