PDA

View Full Version : Help with a girl's name!

Krisrich
09-05-2009, 11:53 AM
I have some time- DD2 due in December- but I can't stop thinking about names! Which do you like best?
Alina Michaela
Anna Michaela
Larissa Michaela
Also, most people realize that Michaela is pronounced "Mikayla," right? Her middle name is after my husband's brother who passed away so I prefer the Michaela spelling to honor him, but I don't want people thinking it's pronounced "Michael" with an "a" at the end...
Thanks for any input!!!

JBaxter
09-05-2009, 11:58 AM
I like Anna Michaela the best.

wellyes
09-05-2009, 12:30 PM
I love Anna.

I did not know Michaela was pronounced that way...... :bag

ohiomom1121
09-05-2009, 12:35 PM
I like the second two...when I read the first one the song “Hakuna Matata” (from Lion King) popped into my head!!! I think Larissa is really pretty.

ilfaith
09-05-2009, 12:44 PM
I love the name Michaela and vastly prefer your spelling to any other.

As a combination I do think Anna Michaela has the best flow. But the fact is, how often will she go by her first and middle name.

I think the name Larissa is beautiful, a bit unusual and exotic but still easily pronounced, whereas you might run into issues with Alina ("a-LEEN-a" or "a-line-a")

I suppose it all depends on what goes best with your last name.

Snow mom
09-05-2009, 02:11 PM
I like the second combo best. Not really fond of the first and feel pretty neutral about the third. Would the pronunciation be the typical "Anna" with hard first a or with a soft first a?

AnnieW625
09-05-2009, 02:24 PM
I love the name Larissa but I don't think it flows well with Michaela. Anna Michaela seems too soft, same with Alina Michaela, but I think Larissa Michaela sounds too strong/similar. It could be just me but I like a strong name and a soft name. I think it Michaela might sound better with a name that doesn't end in A like the ones you suggested. What about Grace Michaela? What about Michaela as a the first name? I like the sound of Michaela Ann(e), and Michaela Rose. Also try writing some names down on paper and see how they look.

fivi2
09-05-2009, 02:27 PM
I like Anna Michaela. And I usually hear Michaela pronounced the way you say, but I do know one middle-aged woman who goes by Michael-a...

SnuggleBuggles
09-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Can't go wrong with a classic like Anna imo!! It's a beautiful name.

Beth

kijip
09-05-2009, 03:44 PM
I like Anne or Anna. I also would totally consider using Michaela as a first name.

I went to school with 2 Michaelas- never heard it pronounced differently than Mic-kayla so I think you are fine on that front!

Nice name and nice way to honor a family member.

gobadgers
09-05-2009, 03:46 PM
I love the name Alina. It's different, but I think easily pronouncable.

I also love Anna, more traditional but still beautiful.

Larissa is just OK to me, I can't quite put a finger on why I don't like it more...

But I don't think you can go wrong with these choices!

GGrn
09-05-2009, 05:57 PM
I like Anna Michaela and yeah, most people would know how to pronounce it correctly.

mecawa
09-05-2009, 06:07 PM
I like Anna the best. Would you consider Michaela as a first name? It's really pretty!!!

goldenpig
09-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Congratulations on your upcoming DD. I like Anna best. Simple but classically beautiful. I don't think anyone would have a problem pronouncing Michaela and I vastly prefer that spelling to the "modern" variants. But I tend to like original spellings of names. Larissa would be my second choice.

scrooks
09-05-2009, 07:16 PM
I love Anna....but I am a little impartial...it's DD's name!

Krisrich
09-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks for all of the responses so far!

In response to the questions, we would pronounce "Anna" with an "a" like "apple." I also do love Michaela, and would totally use is for a first name, but DH isn't comfortable with it as the baby's first name. Since the name is for his brother, I'm deferring to him on that.

HIU8
09-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Choosing between those 3, I would choose Anna Michaela. However, I love the name Larissa, but I think Larissa Michaela is to much name (to similar sounding).

sunshine873
09-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Another vote here for Anna.

I knew that you meant Michaela to sound like Mikayla. But...don't assume that you'll never come across someone that doesn't get it. Even when you think you have something that's as plain as day, someone will say/spell it wrong. Go with what you're comfortable with. Plus, since it's her middle name, she won't have to be spelling it for people all the time. :)

ourbabygirl
09-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Yet another vote for Anna! Very pretty and feminine :). And it sounds good for a baby, a young girl, and a woman.

amldaley
09-06-2009, 06:50 PM
I like Alina Michaela. I think it sounds musical with the repetition of the "L" and the "A" sounds.

I don't see room for confusion with the spelling of either of these names. They are both unusual, but not at all unheard of.