PDA

View Full Version : For APPLE owners thinking about going to Snow Leopard

MMEand1
09-06-2009, 12:22 AM
I would suggest you REALLY do your research before got to the new Snow Leopard. I installed mine earlier this week and have had some computer problems that I never had before. For starters, it runs MUCH slower than it did before. It takes a lot longer to load a new page and then sometimes it will just stop and throw you somewhere else. iPhoto shut down on me earlier today when I was in the middle of loading some new pictures. My printer was not recognized and I had a lot of problems getting it back installed.

I'm not very happy with the new Snow Leopard and wish I had not upgraded. There are a TON of people over on the Apple site under support that have had the same problems that I have had. I hope that Apple is looking into this and will have a patch or something soon. I'm to the point of wanting to bring my entire iMac back to the Apple store and letting them back up all my pictures and videos and putting the "old" program back on there...

larig
09-06-2009, 12:25 AM
that stinks. I've been having permission problems with the install I have of x.5. I was hoping this would be a fix. The others I've talked to have had good luck so far, but I'm glad you shared your experience (I was going to bite the bullet and install it this weekend).

What kind of install did you do, and what kind of machine are you running?

MMEand1
09-06-2009, 12:51 AM
What kind of install did you do, and what kind of machine are you running?

It is the desk-top (iMac). I just bought it in May, so it is fairly new. I did the standard/basic install, nothing fancy. Noticed right away that it was running slower and today had iPhoto quit on me. I also had another program quit and the computer threw me into another page that was open...strange. I just don't like the feel of it, if you know what I mean...

codex57
09-06-2009, 03:28 AM
It's running a LOT faster on my two computers. Ones a new (July 09) Macbook Pro. The other is the first Intel iMac. Totally awesome. Esp Safari.

The only prob I've encountered is it seems to have lost the driver for my HP printer that's being run thru an Airport Express. If I connect it directly to the computer, it works, but not if I connect it to the Airport Express. The model is missing from the list of printers it has drivers for.

writermama
09-06-2009, 10:16 AM
I just upgraded to (old) Leopard from Tiger, but in getting ready to do the upgrade I read several articles about the best way to do it.

While the information from different sources was often contradictory, the general picture that emerged is that you're better off doing the "Archive and Install" option instead of "Update".

"Archive and Install" creates a folder on your hard drive named "Previous system" and then installs the new OS with the standard things that come with the new OS. Then, if your system or application preferences get messed up in the transfer, you can go back into the previous system folder and import them over manually.

Another option is "Erase and Install" which erases everything on your hard drive and installs a clean copy of the new OS (what Windows users call a "Clean Install"). It is recommended only if you're having problems AND you have a full back-up in several locations. After the Erase and Install procedure, you will have to tweak all of your system and application prefences manually.

This article might help:
http://www.index-site.com/cleaninstall.html

My DH installed Snow Leopard on a 2 year old notebook with no issues so far. If you're having issues, you might need to do an Erase and Install to make your system stable.

Naranjadia
09-06-2009, 11:04 AM
I can't wait to install it, but I'm sitting on my hands for a few weeks until some of the rough patches get ironed out.

I generally do an install - this time I'll make sure my back up is up to date. But that archive and install sounds like a good plan. Thanks for the info, writermama.

kayte
09-06-2009, 11:22 AM
DH installed it the day it came out and has not had any problems (even running windows, which he does for work).

I am waiting however, because I don't trust that Adobe Creative Suite (photoshop, illustrators, etc.. ) will run. I had a bad issue once before and I think I'll wait until they release a new version (and when I can fork out the money for the new adobe version--it's highway robbery).

In the meantime it had DH scratching his head as to why he bought a family license for snow leopard and I won't upgrade.

pastrygirl
09-06-2009, 12:03 PM
I have the CD but haven't installed it yet. My husband upgraded last week and suggested I wait a while to see if he runs into anything bad. Sounds like I do want to wait!

Twoboos
09-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Thank you for posting this!! I showed this thread to DH as he was going to update me today. He googled and the first hit he got was problems w/HP printers & Snow Leopard. Which would have been a major PITA for us.

So, he's waiting to upgrade me. :)

kayte
09-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Thank you for posting this!! I showed this thread to DH as he was going to update me today. He googled and the first hit he got was problems w/HP printers & Snow Leopard. Which would have been a major PITA for us.

So, he's waiting to upgrade me. :)

I wanted to add that we print wirelesses (through an express) to two different HP printers and have had no issue with Dh's upgraded machine.

And the problems I have read about is more HP not having updated drivers--which should be very quickly.