PDA

View Full Version : The Art of the House

niccig
09-06-2009, 12:41 AM
Next week DS is in school 5 days a week, and I'm worried I'll lose my mind at home doing the house work. I can do things, but I don't find it satisfying - I'm going to start my volunteering again, so I have some out of the house challenging activities. I am looking for work, but in today's market it could take some time.

DH was talking to work colleagues and one friend said his wife was like me until she started "the Art of the House". You have to do it, so do it well. My mother has a similar approach to cooking. When she got married she realised that she would have to prepare meals 3 times a day for the rest of her life, so she better find a way to make it enjoyable and interesting.

I suppose what I'm asking for is any advice or suggestions so that I get motivated to tackle my very long To Do list. I know that I would prefer to hole up with a book or surfing the web and I am the Queen of Procrastination. DH does help, but as I'm home more and have more time now with DS at school, I will be doing more of the house chores/projects. But I so don't want to do any of this...

Oh, I do have motivated moms checklist, and I will be using that to help keep me on track...but I need some mental motivation to get started on things...

infomama
09-06-2009, 01:11 AM
If I sat down and looked at my to do list at length I would just fold it back up and go have a cup of coffee. I feel your pain.

I operate best by wiping out the biggest/least desirable task first...usually sorting, filing papers strewn about. If I run across a bill, I pay it right then and there. If a form needs to be filled out, I fill it out right away. I tackle one chore at a time and *do not get sidetracked*. This is actually very hard for me because I am used to multi-tasking like a wizard. I have to fight the urge to get the vac out while I am walking from room to room picking up. I have to remind myself that my chore at that time is to pick up...not to vac. I almost have to force myself to finish (and sometimes start) a task at times but when the house is orderly, I feel *so* much better and I can move on to the next knowing all the strings are tied up.

Another example is cleaning up after meals....I will wash and dry and put away the pots/pans instead of putting them in the rack to drain. This eliminates the need to put away the pots at a later time. I am also a huge procrastinator but I am learning that 'a stitch in time saves nine' applies to more than sewing. I can't remember spending hours on a project and then thinking, "this sucks, everything is put away and neat." ;)

HTH a bit. Onward!

C99
09-06-2009, 01:23 AM
I am a horrible, horrible housekeeper. I hate it. I will never like it. And after 10 years of marriage, 6 of them with kids, I have finally realized that that's not really going to change. So I am going back to work and hiring someone who enjoys it to do it for me! ;-)

kijip
09-06-2009, 01:51 AM
I bought this book the year I got married. I love it and love it and love it:

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Comforts-Science-Keeping-House/dp/0743272862/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252216150&sr=8-1

It is very flexible and personalized in it's approach and explains the reasons for each thing along with the costs/benefits. I find it really helpful.