PDA

View Full Version : healthy first b-day cake

soontobe
09-06-2009, 01:36 PM
okay I know i still have 2months until ds's birthday, but i wanted to start figuring out his bday cake. i am trying to stay away from gluten and dairy until he is atleast a year and i really don't want the thing ladden with sugar.

where can i find a good recipe? i looked on wholesomebabyfood.com, but i wansn't too impressed with the recipes-ideas anyone?

thanks!!!

kayte
09-06-2009, 01:53 PM
okay I know i still have 2months until ds's birthday, but i wanted to start figuring out his bday cake. i am trying to stay away from gluten and dairy until he is atleast a year and i really don't want the thing ladden with sugar.

where can i find a good recipe? i looked on wholesomebabyfood.com, but i wansn't too impressed with the recipes-ideas anyone?

thanks!!!

I did a nice carrot cake, sweetened with apple sauce, from a recipe I found on Mothering.com's forums. I would suggest a search there--there are all kinds of recipes.

brittone2
09-06-2009, 02:31 PM
We did a dairy and wheat free first bday cake for DS. It was 4.5 years ago but I am pretty sure I got the recipe on mothering and it had blueberries in it (he loved blueberries).

Of course, my ILs still bring this up as an example of horrible mothering as my dairy/wheat sensitive (at the time) little guy wasn't given a huge bakery cake w/ dairy and wheat so he could spend the rest of the day feeling miserable :irked: Apparently it was cruel :rolleye0014:

I don't remember what we did for DD's first bday cake, other than I remember her having some kind of small cake topped with fresh raspberries, which thrilled her to no end.

soontobe
09-06-2009, 05:48 PM
ooooo do either of you still have those recipes?

truly scrumptious
09-06-2009, 06:18 PM
I have actually been experimenting with recipes for DS's birthday next month. I wanted to avoid eggs and gluten. I tried two recipes based on banana bread, which I adapted and both worked pretty well. The only difference between then is the flour used. Here they are (for 12 cupcakes):

GLUTEN FREE
6 bananas
4 Tablespoons applesauce
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups gluten free flour mix (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)

Sift the dry ingredients together. Separately, mash the bananas and mix in the applesauce and vanilla. Fold in the dry ingredients. Put into cupcake pan and bake at 325 degrees for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean.

WHEAT
6 bananas
12 Tablespoons applesauce
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups whole wheat flour (measure the cups after sifting twice to increase volume)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)

Mix the dry ingredients together. Separately, mash the bananas and mix in the applesauce and vanilla. Fold in the dry ingredients. Put into cupcake pan and bake at 325 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean.

Neither of these is very sweet but DS has already tried the gluten free ones and likes them. They also tend to collapse when they cool, so I am planning to ice the ones for adults with sweetened whipped cream to increase the sweetness and make them look pretty :)
The wheat ones are significantly more moist than the gluten-free ones, which is why they need to bake longer, but they are also better tasting (according to 5 people I asked to do a blind taste test - yes I'm very scientific :wink2:) So I think I will be doing those for his birthday.
The ped said to avoid gluten for the first year, so I'll introduce it at exactly one year :)

HTH!

kerridean
09-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Geez...let the poor kid have a real birthday cake. It won't hurt him.

brittone2
09-06-2009, 09:08 PM

Yeah, um, some people avoid it for sensitivity reasons/allergies, family history of allergies, celiac, etc. Unless you know the OP's motivations, I don't think that's particularly helpful.

neeleymartin
09-06-2009, 09:18 PM

could just be that pp is trying to avoid hfcs and other junk.

soontobe
09-06-2009, 09:45 PM
I guess I am doing it for both reasons-my dh has some good allergies going on so I am trying to avoid that with ds and I am a nutritionist so I definatly care what goes into my body and the body of people I love:love5:

anyways thanks for the recipes and tips so far (that mothering webiste seems really awsome) and keep them coming!:cheerleader1:

vludmilla
09-06-2009, 09:53 PM
I don't have any recipes but what about black bean cake (no four, so no gluten, I think). I made chocolate black bean cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and they were great.

Veronica's Mommy
09-07-2009, 12:11 AM
I got the recipe for DD's 1st bday cake (cupcakes, actually) on this board. I still have the recipe & am trying to find it but I can't. :( It was simlar to PP's applesauce cake but I don't think it had bananas. Do a google search (or even a search on this board) for "applesauce cake" and you will probably find it. I did use bananas for the icing though- smooshed bananas whisked w/ powdered sugar makes a nice glaze. I added a drop of food coloring too though because it looked kinda nasty.

In the end, DD barely ate any. She licked off the frosting and smashed most of the cake.

fortato
09-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Why have a cake?? You could do waffles or something just as "cakey"... does that make sense?

If it's just going to be for him to enjoy himself, then make him something special that isn't a cake. If it's something for a crowd, then you're going to have to do some research!

Jenny_A
09-07-2009, 11:30 PM
I'm glad you started this thread! I was just thinking about this the other day and would like to make something healthy for DS for his 1st. You know... I've spent the entire first year sacrificing to breast feed him and eat good myself so he'll be healthy... and then I go fill him up with cake and icing on his first birthday! Doesn't make much sense!

Thanks again!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
09-08-2009, 12:14 AM
Yeah, um, some people avoid it for sensitivity reasons/allergies, family history of allergies, celiac, etc. Unless you know the OP's motivations, I don't think that's particularly helpful.

:yeahthat:

kellij
09-08-2009, 12:32 AM
My ds wouldn't touch his cake on his first bday. It was pretty anti-climatic! So in my case I just had to make it look cute. :) Maybe your child won't eat it anyway. I know that's not helpful as far as a recipe goes, but that's all I've got.

truly scrumptious
09-08-2009, 10:09 AM
My ds wouldn't touch his cake on his first bday. It was pretty anti-climatic! So in my case I just had to make it look cute. :) Maybe your child won't eat it anyway. I know that's not helpful as far as a recipe goes, but that's all I've got.

I have a friend who had the same thing happen, and all their pictures of their son with his first birthday cake involve him grimacing!
I have given "test" versions (when I was experimenting with recipes) of the cake/bread that I am planning for his birthday to DS to taste, so I know he likes it.