PDA

View Full Version : Another water bottle thread if you don't mind....

happymom
09-06-2009, 09:25 PM
I am going back to work on Tuesday and like to bring water just to sip throughout the day. Until now, I have been buying Poland Spring water bottles by the case at Costco. DH and I decided to stop being so wasteful, and just refill a bottle with our delicious filtered water from home. I searched the forums for info about which bottle to buy, and was a bit overwhelmed by all the different suggestions. I just want something that will keep my water cold and wont "sweat" all over my desk at work. Any ideas? I think I would rather plastic than stainless steel. The camelbacks with the bite-valve seem cool to me, but I wasnt sure if they are more ideal for working out than just regular use. (although I'm not really sure what that even means...)

Thanks!

bubbaray
09-06-2009, 09:31 PM
My favorite for at work is my 27oz Klean Kanteen. Mainly b/c its pink. LOL. I did like my Siggs, and I just got my "new" ones, so I'll be using those too.

I actually don't like the Camelback bite valves. I find them to be a PITA, especially to clean lipstick off of!

happymom
09-06-2009, 09:35 PM
My favorite for at work is my 27oz Klean Kanteen. Mainly b/c its pink. LOL. I did like my Siggs, and I just got my "new" ones, so I'll be using those too.

I actually don't like the Camelback bite valves. I find them to be a PITA, especially to clean lipstick off of!

Can I buy Klean Kanteens at Target or any B&M store? Or do they have to be bought online? LOL about the lipstick- I'm do the "natural" look so no lipstick for me!

Here's the real question- whats the difference between a klean kanteen and all those water bottles on the shelf in Target or Bed Bath and Beyond? What exactly do you like about the KK that other water bottles don't have?

Thanks for your help :)

bubbaray
09-06-2009, 09:39 PM
http://www.kleankanteen.com/

THere is a store locator on the site. I've purchased mine online and in B&M stores in Canada, which likely won't help you, LOL.

I like the size of the spout/opening. It works for me. I spill it down the front of my business suits less often. I spill the Siggs and narrow opening ones more often. I guess I'm a clutz.

As for the differences, I guess I just feel somewhat better that KK as a company is (hopefully) using higher quality components to make their containers compared to the super-cheapo ones. I have a couple of the cheaper ones and I swear, the water tastes better in the KKs.

sunshine873
09-06-2009, 09:40 PM
In contrast to PP, I am in LOVE with the Camelbak bite valves. One of the main reasons is that I'm quite clutzy and will dump water all over me or things around me with other bottles. :) As for the regular plastic ones, I use them all the time. But if you start with cold water (or with ice) you'll have "sweating." I put mine inside a neoprene type protector like: http://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-Liter-Insulated-Bottle-Carrier/dp/B0019DCDIO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1252287572&sr=8-1

Or, there is a new insulated Camelbak that would eliminate the sweating problem (and help keep things cold.) http://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-0-5-Liter-Insulated-Stainless-Better/dp/B0026IXQCS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1252287550&sr=8-2]

happymom
09-06-2009, 09:59 PM
In contrast to PP, I am in LOVE with the Camelbak bite valves. One of the main reasons is that I'm quite clutzy and will dump water all over me or things around me with other bottles. :) As for the regular plastic ones, I use them all the time. But if you start with cold water (or with ice) you'll have "sweating." I put mine inside a neoprene type protector like: http://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-Liter-Insulated-Bottle-Carrier/dp/B0019DCDIO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1252287572&sr=8-1

Or, there is a new insulated Camelbak that would eliminate the sweating problem (and help keep things cold.) http://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-0-5-Liter-Insulated-Stainless-Better/dp/B0026IXQCS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1252287550&sr=8-2]

I like that insulated camelbak, but it only seems to come in .5 liter and I would really want .75 liters....

o_mom
09-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Since you have a Costco membership, they have a two pack of stainless steel bottles for $19.99. I don't remember the exact size, but pretty big. You can always get a neoprene sleeve for the outside to prevent sweating - BuiltNY has been mentioned here before. Ours had it with the outdoor/camping stuff in the center section next to the plastic Contigo bottles. Contigo is another option - insulated SS with a spill proof lid - also 2/$20 at Costco for 16 oz cups. They have BPA free plastic Contigos as well. So, uh, the point of this post is... check Costco.

brittone2
09-06-2009, 10:11 PM
We love our Klean Kanteens and they have held up great. I had one smaller sized one (a sippy for DD when they first came out) and she dropped it the wrong way and it split...which never happened w/ any of our others. They were great w/ customer service and sent a new one, and it was a pretty smooth transaction. We've had plenty of drops since but never had another one split.

Our DC just went to a bday party w/ a horse theme and the favor was a Crocodile Creek stainless steel water bottle (no weird lining, cute outside w/ horses. SMall neck opening in comparison to KK, so a little harder to clean if you put anything but water in there. Phthalate free plastic spout. THese are definitely more kid-sized though!). THe KK sports caps do chirp sometimes. I often just use my screw on top and drink right out of it that way. I put the sports cap on for travel. Our old (white) sports caps (several years old) always chirped, but we have an extra black sports cap ordered at a later date and that one has less/no chirping.

We've had our KK for probably 5 ish years now?? No major denting or anything. I would guess some of the cheaper bottles may have thinner walls and be more prone to denting (maybe??) but I can't say for sure. Our KKs have held up though so I've never thought twice about the cost. If you are buying water out and about regularly or buying bottled water from the store the savings will add up fairly quickly.

Jenny_A
09-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Based on a previous thread about water bottles, I went out and bought a Thermos one at Target. It's in the sports/camping section. It's stainless steel and costs about $15. Best thing ever!! I fill it with ice water in the morning and the ice barely melts by the end of the day. Liked it so much I got DH one and he loves his too!

kristenk
09-06-2009, 11:01 PM
The best bottle ever:

http://www.thermos.com/Product_detail.aspx?CatCode=HYDR&SubcategoryID=61&ViewAll=true&ProductID=282

It's by thermos and it's wonderful! The spout is a good size for me. It's easy to drink from. No sweating. It's not hard to put ice cubes in. It stays cold forever.

I don't know if this is the thermos bottle that the PP was talking about, but I love it! I ordered mine online, but I know that I've seen them at Target.

happymom
09-06-2009, 11:56 PM
Since you have a Costco membership, they have a two pack of stainless steel bottles for $19.99. I don't remember the exact size, but pretty big. You can always get a neoprene sleeve for the outside to prevent sweating - BuiltNY has been mentioned here before. Ours had it with the outdoor/camping stuff in the center section next to the plastic Contigo bottles. Contigo is another option - insulated SS with a spill proof lid - also 2/$20 at Costco for 16 oz cups. They have BPA free plastic Contigos as well. So, uh, the point of this post is... check Costco.

Thank you! I will definitely check those out. Great prices. Btw, I actually have one of those insulated sleeves- I think by builtNY- I was using it for my Poland Spring bottles.

Based on a previous thread about water bottles, I went out and bought a Thermos one at Target. It's in the sports/camping section. It's stainless steel and costs about $15. Best thing ever!! I fill it with ice water in the morning and the ice barely melts by the end of the day. Liked it so much I got DH one and he loves his too!

The best bottle ever:

http://www.thermos.com/Product_detail.aspx?CatCode=HYDR&SubcategoryID=61&ViewAll=true&ProductID=282

It's by thermos and it's wonderful! The spout is a good size for me. It's easy to drink from. No sweating. It's not hard to put ice cubes in. It stays cold forever.

I don't know if this is the thermos bottle that the PP was talking about, but I love it! I ordered mine online, but I know that I've seen them at Target.

These sound great too. I am in Costco and Target all the time (too often actually :innocent:) so I'll definitely be checking these out.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply!

american_mama
09-07-2009, 01:58 AM
I've been looking into water bottles recently too, and the one simple thing I can tell you is to check if it's stainless steel (= good, often says it on a tag or is printed on bottom of bottle) or aluminum (= cheaper, bad, may leach bad stuff into water).

The other thing which is on my mind is knowing which ones leak. Don't know how to figure that one out in advance.