PDA

View Full Version : Dumb questions about kids' rainboots

MMMommy
09-06-2009, 09:47 PM
So I know I will sound really, really dumb asking these questions. DDs have never worn rainboots. We live in California, so the weather is relatively mild, and I just haven't found a need for them. But now that the parking situation for kindergarten and pre-k is not so optimal (namely, parking is not so close to the building anymore), I figure I will need to buy rainboots for them for bad weather days.

When your DCs wear rainboots to school, does that function as their regular shoe for the day? Or do they change into regular shoes once they are in the classroom?

For sizing, do you buy true to size or bigger than regular size?

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

MamaKath
09-06-2009, 09:50 PM
The kids typically change out of boots once inside school in our family. If I buy boots that have a range of sizing (like 5-6) I go look at the larger number. I just saw gobs of rain boots when I was out the other day and was thinking of getting them new ones too!

bubbaray
09-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Well, our weather is similar to Seattle's so boots are pretty common here. Our K teacher specifically asked parents to provide "inside" shoes for the children to change into daily. I'll be interested to see how that plays out IRL. I'm not buying expensive shoes to leave there, though.

I have found that boots fit bigger and that's OK. At least, no complaints from the little people.

infomama
09-06-2009, 09:52 PM
When my Dd wears snowboots she changes into other shoes when she gets to school so that would also be the case if she wore rainboots. They are way to clunky and hot to wear all day long IMO. As far as sizing goes I think it is just like any other shoe...depends on the brand.

o_mom
09-06-2009, 09:54 PM
I have honestly never used rainboots for going places. We have our fair share of rain, snow and other cruddy weather, as it's certainly no California, but I have never seen a need for them. We have a few pairs that were handed down and if they really want, we toss them on for major puddle stomping at home, but for going to school they just wear sneakers if it is wet - the 1/2" sole is plenty to get through even the hardest rains around here.

SnuggleBuggles
09-06-2009, 11:06 PM
No rain boots here for the kiddos either. A far amount of rain but I just don't need them for them. I have bought cute ones in the past in they just haven't fit our lives. Now, ds1 is going on more hikes this year at school so I will send him rain boots and regular shoes.

Beth

doberbrat
09-08-2009, 09:02 AM
we have rain boots. they dont get used a ton but I make dd wear them when she goes w/me to run the dogs (b/c the grass is always wet early in the am) when she wears them to school, we send crocs for her to change into.

I wouldnt want to wear those things all day so I dont let her.

I have seen kids who want to wear them all day every day though.

egoldber
09-08-2009, 09:06 AM
We never wear rain boots. On wet days, my kids generally wear Merrell Jungle Moc type shoes.