PDA

View Full Version : Breakfasts that 5 year olds can get themselves?

Sillygirl
09-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Our mornings are going to get pretty hectic in a few days. I have to get myself and the two boys out the door by 7:45. One thing that would really help is if Jonathan could get his own breakfast. Currently, he gets homemade oatmeal or a waffle spread with applesauce and peanut butter most mornings. (Kind of gross, I know, but he likes it.) I'm not interested in giving him processed foods like toaster strudel and he's not interested in breakfast cereals. He can open the fridge and I think he could manage the toaster with instruction. Any ideas for five year old breakfasts? So far I have:
- yogurt cups
- cheese sticks
- cut up fruit
- toast
Also, we buy milk and OJ in pretty big cartons that I don't think he can handle. Any tips for letting him pour his own?

Thanks!

JBaxter
09-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Pre pour a glass of milk/juice the night before

Muffins are awsome for quick breakfasts I often make a double batch and freeze one

Blueberry, pumpkin zucchini etc.
yogurt
bananas
toast ( wouldnt work in our house but i guess I could make it do able)

It would take Nathan longer to get something and make a mess than me just "doing it"

carolinamama
09-07-2009, 09:44 AM
I am not a morning person and not good at getting out of the house without craziness in the am. So DS1 often eats in the car or on the go. Things we eat:

baked oatmeal (recipe from here)
Kashi blueberry waffle plain
TJ cereal bars
peaches/plums/apples straight from the fruit bowl
cereal mix that I make with dry cereal of choice, raisins, dried cranberries, dried cherries, and a few nuts
peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (make the night before?)
bagel with cream cheese or peanut butter made the night before?
we keep fresh fruit cut in the fridge at most times since both boys LOVE fruit

As for juice, can you make a water bottle with juice or milk for him to grab out of the fridge the night before? That's what I do for the next morning.

Can you see the theme to my suggestions? I get everything ready the night before. I make lunches, lay out clothes, have breakfast and drinks ready to grab. It makes a HUGE difference in our mornings. Seriously, if I don't have all this done, I will wake up in the middle of the night and stress about our morning.

Fairy
09-07-2009, 09:49 AM
No food suggestions you don't already have, but I also was going to suggest pouring juice/milk into straw cups or water bottles the night before and just keeping them in arms reach in the fridge.

brittone2
09-07-2009, 10:33 AM
DS is 5.5 and can get himself yogurt or make a simple sandwich (like cheese on bread or PB&J). He usually goes for the yogurt though. He will get DD's as well. He'll get himself fruit, and we often have a breakfast casserole (like an egg bake) on hand for everyone to eat for a few days during the week and he'll eat that cold sometimes.

A few months back I cleared out a lower cabinet so they have their own bowls, cups, and plates easily accessible.

elliput
09-07-2009, 10:34 AM
DD has made her own breakfasts on occasion- cold cereal and milk, bagel with cream cheese, yogurt with granola and/or frozen blueberries. She has also been known to eat frozen waffles and pancakes straight out of the freezer.

She can manage milk in gallon jugs as long as they are only half empty. I considered getting a small (2 cup size) plastic carafe or similar item with a pour spout to have some milk in for her.

brittone2
09-07-2009, 10:38 AM
I don't do it currently as my kids usually just drink water w/ breakfast, but in the past to work on pouring, etc. I just give them my one cup liquid Pyrex measuring cup to pour with...it is fairly hard to break. I once read a tip that if you are concerned w/ mess while working on independent pouring, teach them to pour with the dishwasher door open, and have them pour over that (like a table). With something like a 1c measuring cup, even if they spilled over the dishwasher door there wouldn't be much mess.

purpleeyes
09-07-2009, 11:15 AM
We do the stoneyfield yogurt drinks. Works out great!

Fairy
09-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Oh, that is a great idea, the stoneyfield smoothies is a great thing for him to do himself; grab and go.

C99
09-07-2009, 04:05 PM
This is probably out because you said no processed foods, but my kids make themselves instant oatmeal every morning. They can open the packet and pour it into a bowl. They can take a mug from the cabinet, fill it with water, and put it in the microwave for 60 seconds, and then pour some hot water into the bowl and stir.

brittone2
09-07-2009, 04:20 PM
This is probably out because you said no processed foods, but my kids make themselves instant oatmeal every morning. They can open the packet and pour it into a bowl. They can take a mug from the cabinet, fill it with water, and put it in the microwave for 60 seconds, and then pour some hot water into the bowl and stir.

I think I recall reading that you can just (somewhat) finely grind regular oatmeal and make your own "instant" oatmeal. The OP could then have DS mix in his own favorites (raisins, dried fruit, nuts, granola, small amount of honey...whatever is acceptable)

Here's an example of one mom's solution for "instant" oatmeal that came up w/ a quick google:
http://www.enviromom.com/2009/03/healthy-economical-diy-instant-oatmeal-packets.html

eta: discussion of grinding oats into "instant" oatmeal:
http://www.home-ec101.com/save-money-and-time-diy-oatmeal-packs/

alexsmommy
09-07-2009, 04:53 PM
We do the Stonyfield yogurt smooties and a banana on those crazy mornings.
I pre-pour milk into sippys/straw-cups for am's from the time they can open the fridge and turn on the tv and not bother mommy on weekends lol (my kids are EARLY risers, and I say that as a morning person).
My plan is to get some homemade bran muffins in the freezer on of these days so I can defrost them the night before.

My problem is my parents got him breakfast 3x week when he was half day. So he got the idea that some days he should have these full hot breakfasts lol. Now that he leaves with me on my workdays I'm rushed and a waffle with butter and jam is about all I can fit time in to make.

misshollygolightly
09-07-2009, 07:06 PM
If he likes hardboiled eggs you could keep a few already boiled and peeled in the fridge.