PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Speech -The text

ellies mom
09-07-2009, 02:15 PM
I know O-mom posted this in the Obama thread but depending on how you read the boards, it is buried in there pretty deep so I thought I'd start a new post.

Obama's Prepared remarks (http://www.whitehouse.gov/MediaResources/PreparedSchoolRemarks/)

Sillygirl
09-07-2009, 02:29 PM
My guess is that Rush and his followers will say they're criticizing the accompanying lesson plan, not the speech itself. That asking kids "How can you help the President" amounts to starting a personality cult. My question is, is it ever okay to help a President of the opposing party achieve ANY of their goals? Or if you're out of power for four years, is your only option to resist any forward motion of the government? Like that one Republican senator who talks about halting health care reform because it will be Obama's Waterloo. Is there no room for bipartisanship at all? Because in that case, the Democrats have majorities in both the House and the Senate, and they might as well use them. Shut down any talks, craft the bills they want, and ram them through. Anything else is just brainwashing, right?

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
09-07-2009, 02:50 PM
What a great speech!:love5:

BabyMine
09-07-2009, 03:00 PM
I love the speech but I am waiting for the Republicans to pick it apart and put it in a context to help their side.

Globetrotter
09-07-2009, 04:22 PM
This is a lovely speech, and I cannot imagine for a minute how this is controversial. He is motivating students to do well in school, for goodness sake!!

Wife_and_mommy
09-07-2009, 09:21 PM
I *love* the speech!:cheerleader1:

I wasn't going to worry about having DD listen to it tomorrow but I'm going to find out when it airs so I can record it for her to listen to tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for sharing it. :)

maestramommy
09-07-2009, 09:53 PM
That is a a REALLY good speech. I hope a lot of kids hear it!

ellies mom
09-07-2009, 10:02 PM
I *love* the speech!:cheerleader1:

I wasn't going to worry about having DD listen to it tomorrow but I'm going to find out when it airs so I can record it for her to listen to tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for sharing it. :)

Rumor is it will be on CNN and C-Span as well as live streamed from the website the text of the speech is on. I'm planning on recording it for Ellie too.

elephantmeg
09-07-2009, 10:39 PM
nice. Thanks for sharing!

hellokitty
09-07-2009, 11:11 PM
This is a lovely speech, and I cannot imagine for a minute how this is controversial. He is motivating students to do well in school, for goodness sake!!

I know. I feel the same exact way. I am sure that the, "other side" will find a way to be offended by it. :rolleye0014:

JustMe
09-07-2009, 11:14 PM
I think its great and really hope dd gets to see it. Her school starts the day after, so not sure what they are doing. I have dial up internet access and only basic network (no cable, dish, etc) tv.....

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
09-08-2009, 12:17 AM
I know. I feel the same exact way. I am sure that the, "other side" will find a way to be offended by it. :rolleye0014:

Gotta watch FOX to see...:ROTFLMAO:

citymama
09-08-2009, 01:27 AM
Gotta watch FOX to see...:ROTFLMAO:

Actually, gotta watch Jon Stewart taking apart Fox the next day....;)

mommylamb
09-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Actually, gotta watch Jon Stewart taking apart Fox the next day....;)

:yeahthat: You gotta love the Daily Show.

Seriously though, I am so sick and tired of this "controversy" already. If I were a conservative, I'd be embarrassed. I totally have respect for people that have legitimate arguments about serious policy issues with opinions that differ from mine. So, if you want to debate how tax money should be spend, go for it. If you want to talk about government intrusion into private life, I'm there. If your thing is how do you balance environmental stewardship with economic realities, count me in. But if your beef is with Obama's speech to kids about staying in school, get a life!

kcandz
09-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Seriously though, I am so sick and tired of this "controversy" already. If I were a conservative, I'd be embarrassed. I totally have respect for people that have legitimate arguments about serious policy issues with opinions that differ from mine. So, if you want to debate how tax money should be spend, go for it. If you want to talk about government intrusion into private life, I'm there. If your thing is how do you balance environmental stewardship with economic realities, count me in. But if your beef is with Obama's speech to kids about staying in school, get a life!

I feel it is done to sow general unrest and distrust of this administration. Just nitpick absolutely every single thing coming from this White House. When GWB was in office, it seemed like everything had to be propped up and cheerleaded.

I know both sides do it, but it just seems so "coordinated" on the conservative side - the politicians and conservative media use the same talking points to hammer the same message over and over. The Daily Show demonstrates this in their edited sequences very well.

I think that we have the freedom to question our government is what makes this country great. But as stated above, lets offer true examination and critique of issues, not constant hyper-vigilance and negativity directed at our elected officials. I was mad at GWB, well, for a lot of stuff, but not every single item offered from that White House. How exhausted and yucky I would feel if I was waiting to leap on every decision with criticism because it didn't line up with my views.