PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else with fall allergy/asthma kiddos?

alexsmommy
09-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Fall. Sigh.
It used to be my favorite season. Now not so much. Now it means nebulizers, meds, ER trips, ped on speed dial....
I hate to keep DS1 cooped up in the house, but I can literally watch him go downhill after being outside for only 15 minutes. He was in a panic this afternoon because he thought he was getting sick and may miss his schools open house tomorrow. I knew chances were his headache, stuffiness etc was because he had been riding his bike for about a half hour. Did a neb, dose of Benadryl and sure enough, and hour later he was a new kid. I feel so bad for him.
He has a pretty good maintenence program but fall is just killer for him. I am so fearful of H1N1 it's crazy.
Now that he's in all day school it's a little more diffucult to watch and manage him closely during the day. We do a neb in the morning even if he's not coughing, then his Singulair, then his Flovent, then vitamins....I'm calling the ped to ask her to also sign forms for the school nurse to administer Benadryl as we've needed it in the afternoon all weekend. The great thing is ped's daughter is in DS1's class lol. She's great and knows the school so I can just have the form faxed to her.
I guess I'm just looking for some company in fall allergy/asthma madness.

cono0507
09-07-2009, 05:47 PM
I hear you! As I type this DD is sitting in my lap getting her albuterol neb and watching little einsteins (her treat for doing the nebs). It will be a long few months here!

graciebellesmomma
09-08-2009, 01:08 AM
My son, who passed away, was severely affected by them.
I can't tell you how many trips I made to the ER, as a single Mom.
He simply couldn't breathe. He had April/May and Sept/Oct. allergies.
Full on asthma, susceptible to colds/strep, and high fevers.

It was scary. I think he started with them around 18 months and the
GOOD NEWS is that he outgrew them! By the time he was 8-9 it started
to be much less serious, but he still carried his inhaler with him and used it a couple of times a month. By the time he was 12-13 he used it maybe once a year!
It was a huge relief. His doctors told me repeatedly that he could outgrow it, but
they doubted it. He outgrew it!!!

I will send out positive thoughts that your children outgrow the horrible allergies
and all that go along with them.