PDA

View Full Version : Grade school parents- room parents at your school

SnuggleBuggles
09-07-2009, 05:56 PM
For parents with kids in grade school, if your school has room parents do you know how they are chosen? Who gets to pick? Do they tell people why they were or were not picked?

I'm in charge of this through my PTA and just started this year. I'm a bit fuzzy on how it should all work.

Beth

LBW
09-07-2009, 06:07 PM
In my oldest son's school, anyone who is interested completes a form that is sent home on the first day of school. I think we had about a week to return it. If only two parents return forms, they are the room parents. If more than two parents return forms, two names are picked randomly by the PTA coordinators. If no one volunteers, the teacher and/or the PTA coordinators ask people individually to do it. You cannot be a room parent for the same child two years in a row.

momof2girls
09-07-2009, 06:33 PM
:yeahthat:

The above is pretty much how it works in my school as well except that it seems that those who are the heads of the various school organizations seem to get preferential treatment and chosen first.

egoldber
09-07-2009, 06:35 PM
In the past, we were asked to tell the teacher if we are interested in being the room parent. This year I noticed the PTA has a room parent coordinator, so I don't know how that will affect things.

In general we NEVER have enough room parents volunteer and several teachers usually go without and others try to help them out.

Corie
09-07-2009, 08:35 PM
anyone who is interested completes a form that is sent home on the first day of school. I think we had about a week to return it. If only two parents return forms, they are the room parents. If more than two parents return forms, two names are picked randomly by the PTA coordinators.

This is how my daughter's elementary school handles this too.

(I signed the form saying that I would be interested in being my daughter's
room parent. We'll see if I get picked.)

LBW
09-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Corie, I signed the form, too. Don't know if I'll be happy or not if I get picked. I love the idea of being so involved, but I'm not sure how I'll feel when I'm dealing with all the work!

SnuggleBuggles
09-07-2009, 09:15 PM
I have been able to do the selecting pretty easily but there have been some kinks. 95% of the classes I took the 1 person to sign up and assigned them. :) In classes where 2 parents signed up the teacher and those 2 parents had to decide if they wanted to have 2 room parents. 3+ sign ups? It's been a challenge.

The big problem is that there are a very few parents that have a bad reputation around the school of being intrusive, disrespectful and difficult to work with. Teachers have asked not to be paired with them. I can't do a lottery system because while it would be fair for the system it wouldn't for the teacher.

It's making my head hurt. In my effort to keep the parent/ teacher relationship happy I have had to take the heat for my choices... all while not being able to fully explain my choices ("you weren't picked b/c you are a PITB to work with! Get your act together and try again next year" doesn't exactly fly :)).

I will say I have gone out of my way in some cases to pick new faces rather than parents that I know well so as to ward off the idea of favoritism.

My advice? be a room parent but don't sign up to run the room parent program unless you fully understand how choices are made and feel comfortable with them.

Beth

Globetrotter
09-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Wow, I am amazed that room parent duty is so desirable in your schools!!

Here, it's something one does because noone else wants to do it :)

I've been room parent a few times, and I've always waited to see if someone else volunteers first :ROTFLMAO:In that case, I've offered to help out, sometimes as a co-room parent.

I wish we had people vying to fill the position! I think it's because there are a ton of dual income families here, so fewer SAHMs to do it and the WOHM parents seem to be less apt to volunteer, understandably. However, there are often waiting lists to chaperone field trips. The WOHPs tend to like doing that instead as it's a one shot deal (makes sense to me). People do volunteer for events, though - I've had pretty good luck with this so far, except for one year.

SnuggleBuggles
09-07-2009, 09:57 PM
I had no idea it was so coveted...and competitive! I was like you, I didn't volunteer and only agreed when they tracked me down.

It seems to be more of an issue in grade k and 1. I can barely get anyone in 3-4.

I had lots of parents thank me for being the room parent last year b/c they were happy to volunteer (and they did) they just didn't want that job. It was pretty easy so I still don't quite get that.

Beth

Karenn
09-07-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm pretty sure teachers get their own room parents here. If I remember right, interested parents signed up at back to school night and the teacher picked one or two. I've never known the PTA to be at all involved in choosing/assigning room parents.

SnuggleBuggles
09-07-2009, 10:37 PM
I'm pretty sure teachers get their own room parents here. If I remember right, interested parents signed up at back to school night and the teacher picked one or two. I've never known the PTA to be at all involved in choosing/assigning room parents.

And I don't know why the PTA is choosing. My only hunch is that there isn't ill will from parents if the teacher doesn't pick them b/c that could negatively affect how the parent treats the teacher that year.

I'd be far happier if teachers picked. We're a new school so we have been winging it. I think an overhaul is needed next year.

I love hearing how it is done elsewhere so I have ideas to bounce around. :)

Beth

MMMommy
09-07-2009, 10:47 PM
At DD1's school, a list was passed around, and I think whomever signed up for the two spots first got it. Which probably sucked for those who couldn't make that particular "first" meeting.

Corie
09-07-2009, 10:52 PM
And I don't know why the PTA is choosing.

I love hearing how it is done elsewhere so I have ideas to bounce around. :)

Beth

Honestly, Beth, I'm not sure who does the picking of the room parent at
my DD's elementary school. I really don't think it's the teacher. But I'm
not sure if our PTA does it. I have no clue.

lorinick
09-07-2009, 10:53 PM
I'm a room parent every year. And usually get thanked often. I do it because I can and many of our parents work and are not able to do so. But we can have more than two parents in the classroom at once. We usually have 3 room parents. The main one a co and contact person.

sarahsthreads
09-07-2009, 11:02 PM
OK, as a first time grade school parent starting tomorrow...

What does a room parent do? Because I'd be happy to volunteer if it's something I can do with a younger sibling in tow.

Sarah :)

hellokitty
09-07-2009, 11:07 PM
My oldest DS is in K and I have not seen/heard anything about a room parent. They sent home a form looking for class volunteers for reading and other specific duties, but nothing about a room mother. I'm wondering now if maybe I missed it at the open house. Not that I can be a room mother this yr anyway, b/c I am waaaaay overwhelmed.

Karenn
09-07-2009, 11:11 PM
My oldest DS is in K and I have not seen/heard anything about a room parent. They sent home a form looking for class volunteers for reading and other specific duties, but nothing about a room mother. I'm wondering now if maybe I missed it at the open house. Not that I can be a room mother this yr anyway, b/c I am waaaaay overwhelmed.

You may not have missed it. 2 out of 3 of the schools I taught at didn't have a designated "room parent."

sarahsthreads
09-07-2009, 11:15 PM
You may not have missed it. 2 out of 3 of the schools I taught at didn't have a designated "room parent."

OK, I clearly need more sleep, because I read this like the "4 out of 5 dentists prefer..." commercials at first...

Sarah :)